Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Periodic error

O

ole kjaer

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi

My VW California TDI, 1996 is driving me crazy.
Normally the van runs perfect, however once in a while it will not start. For instance I can drive the car for an hour or so, then go to the gasstation, stop the engine, and fuel diesel. After this short stop, I sometimes experience the engine wont start !?? The battery is new, and the starter works well, but engine will not start. After 1/2 hour of trying to start, I leave the car, and come back 12 hours later to try again... Wupti! the auto starta up right away.
This situation has been going on for a while, and I don't like that I can't trust my auto.
Anybody, who can give me any advice before I go to the repair shop?
Kind regards,
Ole

I'm sorry I cannot help on the T4, and not taking anything away from this Forum but this Forum might have more information on mechanical matters.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Don't forget to give details about your vehicle and engine.:thumb

I had similar symptoms on an old Mk1 Golf and it turned out to be a loose Earth strap to the battery. A tighten up with the spanner and it was sorted.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.
I still haven't found a solution yet.

I had the same problem. I got stuck at the gas station only to be embarrassed when it started first time when the recovery service arrived to tow me off the forecourt.
Mine turned out to be the connections to the starter motor. They had corroded and occasionally acted as a huge resistance and made it appear my battery was flat. Sometimes as quickly as 30 mins later, all was fine after the cables /connections cooled down. On other occasions, everything appeared fine, but looking back, the starter motor did turn rather slowly 40% of the time.
They replaced my starter motor as they advised that they couldn't just repair the connections.

When you say it doesn't start, do you mean:

1. It turns over, but does not fire.
2. It does not turn over.

?

If it turns over it will likely be fuel related - check for air bubbles in the clear fuel line. Also check the leak off pipes for leaks. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Thanks for all the replies...
I finally found the error. It was 'just' a new relay 109, and wupti the auto starts now perfectly.
I'm so happy :)

Ah the old glow plug relay eh?

I think what happens when they fail , is the function that reapplys voltage to the glow plugs during cranking, stops working.

Unless the engine is fully warm then it needs that extra heating to ensure it fires.

Back