Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just back from first night away...what worked AND what didn't.

My view is sleep up top every night, in fact of the many hundreds of nights I have slept in the Cali,only one night has been down below, in a Waitrose car park along the M4 corridor on the way to a motor racing weekend meet near Oxford.

Never again, I love the freedom of ‘up above’

"Windscreen was pretty misted up in the morning and there was some condensation upstairs around the metal parts on the hatch. Is this normal, will an external screen help?"

I find the best way to avoid this is to leave the heater on overnight, and set the temp rating to 1 or 2. Its thermostatically triggered, so if the temp drops it’ll kick in automatically. The lower setting is just enough to keep the edge off at night, and, the condensation at a minimum!

I also use a Comfortz thermo screen on the windscreen/front passenger doors which really helps with the condensation on the windscreen. The other addition you may want to consider is the Comfortz internal bellows for the pop-top bellows which for me has been a total game-changer. Not cheap but once fitted can be left in place. Works brilliantly at keeping the cold out and the heat in, all year round. Don’t forget, sleeping up top is effectively like sleeping in a tent, the upstairs temp can be pretty cold at night from about September thru to March.

Both of these item are available from the club shop, if you’re not already then become a VIP member as the savings are well worth it.

This time of year, condensation is almost unavoidable IMO (at least when sleeping with 5 persons). But good ventilation and heater on (or not) are the best options. We also have a thermal external windscreen, and it makes moisture to set on metal parts instead of the front window. Which is good, when you want to leave early - the rest dries naturally

Some final thoughts on kit.

I really wanted to get a compressor fridge but due to work commitments and other holiday preferences we are planning to use the van for day trips and odd nights. So I resisted and went for a marine coolbox. Highly recommended. We got the Dometic Cool Ice 22 (litre). Kept food very cold for the 30 hours we were away, compact in the boot, no battery drain if we stop somewhere off grid, can be used as a seat/table, can be used for general food storage if we upgrade to fridge later. I think we'll be OK with it and it cost £60. See pic of boot above.

Also very happy with my stupidly expensive but lovely Primus Tupike stove. Best camping stove I've ever owned. Looks cool as well, with a stylish bit of oak on the lid.

And lastly a word about my loo. My god the hours I spent on here reading about people's preferences and habits (foldable buckets?). Followed by hours having the sort of conversations with my wife that we'd managed to entirely avoid in our 20+ years together. It all came down to one killer question. Is it better to go in a bag, or face a chemical disposal point?

We went with the bag and something I've not seen on here before. A PETT Toilet system. More comfy and toilet like than a Bog in a Bag. Quicker than a Popaloo as you just fold out the three legs. £90 but we got a free storage rucksack thrown in so not bad value. Can use bags from any system. And it has a proper seat that goes up and down with a lid. No actual pictures of ours...but link below. They sell mainly to relief and disaster agencies. It really is a brilliant bit of kit.

http://www.eps-retail.com/epages/es787787.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops

And on that note, message ends.
'And lastly a word about my loo. My god the hours I spent on here reading about people's preferences and habits'

haha - im glad your loo is so comfy - i can only manage about 10 mins at a stretch even if the view is magnificent

'And lastly a word about my loo. My god the hours I spent on here reading about people's preferences and habits'

Steve39 - I am also reading loads about loos, as new Cali SE owner!! The Pett one looks great, and for very rare/emergency use I think better than a Porta Potti. Is it still in service, happy with it? Also, I know "inside" use is not ideal, but if it saves the Missus from embarrassing herself (and saves the interior of the Cali) do you have any idea if it will fit between the downstairs bed set up and the swivelled front passenger seat? Thanks for any info! Sean

Back