Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just bought new Cali today

Allie Park

Allie Park

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

Just put my deposit down today for a 2015 Cali SE after dreaming about owning one since i was a teenager.
A few basic questions that I forgot to ask the dealer;

I had a caravan in the past so i'm comparing some stuff to that -

firstly - do you get a comprehensive manual with the cali or should we be making sure we have a long run down of all the details when we pick it up?

Things i'm uncertain of are things like water? Do you carry a smaller water container to fill the tank, or do you simply drive up to water taps on sites and fill it direct when you arrive?

Emptying waste water - same thing - how does this work?

Leisure batteries - if your going somewhere without electric hook up how many nights will you get out of the batteries for just lights and music at night? Is it worth having a battery torch or lamp in reserve incase batteries go dead?

Many thanks for responses and sorry for the obvious questions to seasoned campervan users!

Allie

Congrats on the purchase!

Yes they do come with a comprehensive manual, the dealer/previous owner should be able to give you run down off all the basics.. but anything you're not sure on ask or search the site.

Number of ways of filling the water tank up.. search hosegate on this site.. you either fall in one of two camps.. garden hose pipe or food safe hose.. lol Personally if there is a tap in reach I use a clear blue food safe hose with universal rubber connector I got from gooutdoors or if not near a hose I have an expensive Brandrup contraption which is basically a collapsible 20 litre plastic water bag with a detachable strap that goes in the awning rail which I got from SMG which I think is awesome.

Waste water there is a simple tap in the cupboard under the sink, I park over the drain in my road and empty it.

Leisure batteries can last a good few days but it subject to how you personally use them i.e. how much you use the fridge/night heater/lighting/12v sockets or the 150w inverter. The radio runs of the starter battery and with the ignition off will last 30mins.. then you switch it back on again.. but not too many times or it won't start in the morning!

Have fun!

Hi and welcome , myself also dreamed of having a Cali since my early 20s but couldend affort at that time , witch i regret now....

Do you by from a dealer then be sure to get all the info about the camperpart of the Cali , some VW dealers don't have a clue theirselfs....

But you did the best thing by subcribing this forum!

Try to read as many posts you can or use the "forum search "function,
as the answers to 90% of the asqued questions already are answerd in previous post ....

I agree with the above that being a member to the forum is a great help. We did not get a hand over as the sales man who dealt with the final bits did not tell me until he had took the cash that he was the caddy man and no one was in who knew about the Cali.

We worked out most things straight away as we went from picking it up to our first campsite a couple of hours later. But at the site was 6 other Cali owners who help me a lot (we are a friendly bunch)

Thank you all - i'm sure ill pick it all up as i go along, at least i've stayed in touring caravan since being a kid so i'm used to the basics its just the Cali specifics!

I shall let you know how i get on after our first trip away for a triathlon in July.

If it's not on this forum it's not worth knowing. The manual is ok, but this forum is way better.

I'd take some time searching as most if not all of your questions have been answered already.

As you are a VIP member, there is a check list to download which will give all the things that should be on board the van when you take delivery.

Alan

Hi Allie I think the above posts answer your questions so I'll just say welcome and enjoy your new California :thumb

Hi Allie
I'm also a newbie here on the forum and have just had my Cali for a month. This is a great forum and I'm sure you will get all you questions answered here.
Welcome
Ian

Hi Allie
I am also a newbie and like you have dreamed of owning a Cali for years. Think your questions have been answered. This is a great place for sorting out all you queries, there are some very knowledgable people here willing to help us newbies out (motacyclist) anyway would like to say welcome and hope you enjoy every minute of your new machine.

Congratulations and welcome to the club! I have had my Cali (Ariadne) for 6 months now and have no regrets - you will love living the dream :D

As others have said, there is lots of great advice on here from other newbies and more seasoned owners alike.

Maud

Welcome! You will find answers to questions you haven't had yet on here. And when the question occurs you'll be ready! I'm still enjoying the windows going up and down with the key fob...

Welcome! You will find answers to questions you haven't had yet on here. And when the question occurs you'll be ready! I'm still enjoying the windows going up and down with the key fob...

Windows going up and down with the key fob?... Sounds interesting, how does that happen? Dave

When you unlock the van, hold the unlock button down for 30 secs and both windows will drop. Great with this hot weather.

You can do the reverse by holding down the lock button when you leave the van.
If we had a sun roof, it would do the same with that too.

Alan

Thank you...I'll try it! Clearly I got bored by the time I'd got to that part of the manual! Cheers, Dave

A word of warning though Dave,

If you take you finger off the button the windows stop moving. So make sure you hang around with your finger on the button until they are fully open/closed.

Alan

Many thanks for responses and sorry for the obvious questions to seasoned campervan users!

Allie

Hi Allie

Welcome from the continental part of Europe!

In my opinion this forum/page is one of the best! Many friendly helpful members answering any kind of questions twice or even more! Always very respectful and ready to share all their knowleadge with us new-owners!

So enjoy your California Camper and look forward to some pictures of yours Van/Cali!

sapto

Yes, welcome! Had ours for three months and loving it. Dave

Dear new Cali owner

Do not ask practical questions, it spoils the love affair.

Collect, stuff with what you think is necessary, drive off on an instant whim, then smile.

The spirit of adventure is riding high,

Ok, the bone china was not a good idea, how the hell did we end up in a European heatwave reaching 37 degrees C with tog 13 sleeping bags, why am I carting around 30 l of water in the tank and drinking bottled water, why do I insist on washing up when I can throw away paper plate .......

I said go to a nice beach .... Not end up in arctic tundra....

Frankly it gets silly. Owning a Cali is imagination gone wild ..... And then you find with a cali it is not imagination but a reality ....

You can either Assume that you have bought a boring camper or the greatest release of personal horizons ever believed practicable .....

Your call ...:D

Yep, very good, I agree... but engineering has poetry too and discovering that holding your key fob button down makes your windows go up and down on their own is also pretty neat, or perhaps that's just a boy thing? Either way, I agree with you, we were heading off somewhere unknown today but then it was rain, rain, rain forecast for the south east, so watching the Gran Prix won through in the end... until next weekend! Dave

Counting the minutes eh?! Enjoy!!...