Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered our first California

L

LeeMc01

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hey, literally just placed our order a couple of days ago. We’re both proper excited and can’t wait for it to be delivered. Looking at the delivery delay thread that’s probably going to be some time but hey ho. Got loads of questions I’ll need help with, first up is what do all of you guys do for extra storage?
The reason I ask is we’re both big into kitesurfing and want somewhere to put the often wet and Sandy gear rather than inside the van. Roof boxes look good, but then you have access issues, plus any salt water would then drip down onto the van. This is making me think a tow ball mounted box/bike carrier (two birds one stone and all that) only issue is they’re not really or only just big enough to fit boards in. We really need something around 150cm wide minimum. Do any of you experienced peeps have any words of wisdom? Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

We’ve got one of those big thule boxes. We take it off when we get to a site and use it as a locked box for wet suits etc.

It takes 2 ofyou to get it on and off the roof.

btw you can leave it on the roof and raise it. I believe the max weight for doing this is 50kg. Best check for yourself though.

Hello Lee,
We tow a small trailer when we need to take extra stuff. The Assems trailer brand will have the perfect solution to your needs. They are very well made trailers that are lockable and waterproof. So anything you don't want in the Cali can be securely stowed in the trailer, including wet gear. You can also have bike racks on top. Our Assems GT750 201 HT tows like a dream. The flat top can be used as a roof rack or as a large picnic table. It's very useful. Here are some snaps that I've nicked off the interweb:
20201002_115108.jpg
20201002_115034.jpg20201002_115148.jpg20201002_114950.jpg

We’ve got one of those big thule boxes. We take it off when we get to a site and use it as a locked box for wet suits etc.

It takes 2 ofyou to get it on and off the roof.

btw you can leave it on the roof and raise it. I believe the max weight for doing this is 50kg. Best check for yourself though.
Thanks for the info, I did think about a roof box because of the length it would be perfect, only issue is the missus is only five foot and a peanut . Do you guys use ladders to take it off? Is it a quick job? Also worry a bit about salt water dripping out of it from soaked kites and wetsuits onto the van. Guess you can get water right ones?

Hello Lee,
We tow a small trailer when we need to take extra stuff. The Assems trailer brand will have the perfect solution to your needs. They are very well made trailers that are lockable and waterproof. So anything you don't want in the Cali can be securely stowed in the trailer, including wet gear. You can also have bike racks on top. Our Assems GT750 201 HT tows like a dream. The flat top can be used as a roof rack or as a large picnic table. It's very useful. Here are some snaps that I've nicked off the interweb:
View attachment 67182
View attachment 67183View attachment 67184View attachment 67185
Thanks @Borris that does look perfect to be honest. Just thought a tow ball mounted box might be easier but going by what’s available I think a trailer may be the most sensible option. Will see what the boss says

Thanks for the info, I did think about a roof box because of the length it would be perfect, only issue is the missus is only five foot and a peanut . Do you guys use ladders to take it off? Is it a quick job? Also worry a bit about salt water dripping out of it from soaked kites and wetsuits onto the van. Guess you can get water right ones?
[/

Yeah it would leak onto the van. I stand on the seat and drag it off the bars and Mrs Milts helps me steady it and get to the ground. I lean it on the awning housing to get it up and down. It’s not hard to do to be honest.
It you’ve got loads of gear it does sound like a trailer might be the way forward.
We just have wetsuits.

Can be a lot of gear sometimes so maybe a trailer will be best. Thanks for the help though guys appreciate it

This post from @SailSki may assist?

Hello Lee,
View attachment 67182
View attachment 67183View attachment 67184View attachment 67185
Looks like a nice piece of Kit Borris.

Back