Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood dab multimedia system

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello everybody I am just about to order my new California and wanted to know what everybody thinks about the kenwood dab multimedia system ? After making the decision that I wanted it ,my dealer is trying to put me off saying that it does not recognise certain areas (London for instance)and does not fully integrate with all the controls etc?

I have used mine in London and it was great. It integrates with the MFSW, but not every button works. You can adjust the volume, select a source and mute it. The telephone cannot be answered from the steering wheel.

cheers

Why can't the telephone be answered from the steering wheel? I have seen this stereo in other VW's and it has full integration.
I have just ordered the same stereo for my new California and the dealer never told me the phone would not work!

The phone button doesn't work on the steering wheel, but you use the touchscreen to answer and finish calls instead. The phone button on the steering wheel is also to do with voice recognition I think and will be on there even if that is not specced on the van, but would obviously not do anything either.

cheeers

I have got to be honest but that the whole process of buying this California is starting to #### me off!

I think it is disgraceful that the brochure can have so many mistakes with prices and packs that are either wrong or discontinued.

I have had an excellent level of service from the dealership so far but it just seems VW are getting sloppy and making careless mistakes.

Please could someone explain to me how this stereo works correctly in other VW's but not in a California

The phone button is the only button that does not operate anything on the Kenwood. The volume buttons work, the left and right will select the next and previous radio station and the microphone button mutes the stereo.

cheers

I agree the dealers don't always know what they are doing.
I had a std radio on our Cali but wanted the 6CD auto changer and the iPod connectivity. Was only told when I went to pick it up that I could not have both even though they had charged me for supply and fit. I was annoyed because had I known I would have gone for one or the other. I was never offered a refund...
I would like to add that this was not SMG....

Please see the attached link from YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUuyyz8uMGw

If you cant be bothered wait 4.15 is where he starts talking about the phone.

I appreciate this is not a California but it is a new VW Tiguan with a multifunction steering wheel.

If it works on this why doesn't it work with the California?

I can't watch YouTube at work. I'm pretty sure that the cars have a different wiring loom for the Kenwood but the phone button is not compatible with the Kenwood on a Commercial Vehicle. Kenwood have not said anything about getting it to work so I don't believe it is possible.

cheers

Hi Rich, I don't believe so as I'm sure Kenwood would offer this to us or incorporate it in the wiring that is supplied. Kenwood come round and see us regularly and next time they are here I will ask if it is possible but I don't believe it will be.

cheers

Why not just fit the RNS510? That will give you full integration, with all the buttons? Little more expensive, but in my view, a better unit. :thumb

510 option a good idea

I have the Kenwood and I've never missed not having a button on the steering wheel. You just press the icon on the screen - it's a simple stretch. I really don't know what you're making a fuss about.

James

Odd - I can answer calls from the MFSW controls, but not end calls!!

If you retrofit a 510 and source it outside of a VW dealer then you don't have warranty with VW for the unit. The Kenwood comes with a warranty. I personally prefer the Kenwood, but I think you need to spend a bit of time looking at both to decide which one you prefer and is best for you.

cheers

Thanks for all the information, I think that I will still go for the Kenwood system as I would not have a problem answering the phone via the screen

Sorry but wouldn't recommend this unit. I find it very frustrating when using the dab radio as it loose signal all the time when in fm mode it pikes up even les station's I think it is the aerial they stick to the window. It isn't a problem answering the phone which connects with my Android phone but the vw 310 worked a lot better. With the 310 I could also connect my phone music by blue tooth. It doesn't do it on the kenwood DNX521DAB even down loaded the kenwood android app to see if that would work. Apple phones apartfrom the latest ones connect to the unit with a lead in the glove box in mine I had them bring the usb lead through to connect my phone and play my music that way didn't work although I can do updates with a memory stick this way. Cd and dvd pla6 well and sat nav good. Overall should have kept the fitted vw310 and bought a garmin sat nav

Its time we started to name and shame on this forum

1. had a kenwood fitted by vw vindis of coventry - didn`t work with steering wheel when delivered - didn`t know it should - but .......
2. contacted jct in newark - they said i needed extra cables that i had to order as they couldn`t!!!!!!
3. contacted vw in arnold - they said they`d phone back - didn`t - i phoned again - spoke with another woman and told it should work but would cost me £80 per hour to check it (i`m under warranty!)

Spoke with a T5 owner - they said it should definietely work so i continued my quest.

4. contacted vw commercial beeston - they checked with derby and then contacted kenwood for a new loom, fitted it (all under warranty) and guess what - it now works with steering wheel plus i also get parking display and aircon display (to much really LOL) So gold stars to them.

Its clear most vw dealers are clueless and doing vw no favours regards customer service.

Early days having just got my van on Tuesday, but tend to agree with James that I can't see the deal with not being able to answer the phone from the wheel - I have had this function on my last couple of vehicles and still answered the phone from the screen. Really impressed with what the Kenwood does offer and so far very happy with it.

Well after all the comments on here a contacted my main dealer (Guildford,peasmarsh) to ask them directly about the phone connection on the steering wheel. They assured me it did work and then got their mobile audio technician to contact me the next day.
His reply was very positive as he said it would defiantly work and that he had fitted plenty of them.
I told him about the comments on this forum and he said " if it doesn't work then it hasn't been wired up properly" simple.
I will have to wait until March to find out if he knows what he's talking about, but I will keep you all informed.

The advantage with Kenwood units was price - if the 510 was ordered from factory you'd spend a lot of money adding bits.

What the Kenwood is offer things like bluetooth etc without the cost. You lose some functionality and integration but you get a good all in one unit without paying 2k plus from the factory.

You can counter this argument, and do what many have done on this forum, buy a 510 unit and the various bits through e bay and have them fitted, thus greatly reducing the cost. I guess a 510 unit from Ebay is going to be £500??? (isn)

The Kenwood is a good unit for VW, at a reasonable cost they can offer built in Sat Nav with a fair few functions.

James

I can get brand new RNS510's with warranty :thumb

Evening all.

Picked up my Cali on Saturday from Newcastle VW. Wanted to have built in satnav but couldn't bring myself to pay the exuberant price that I was quoted for both the Kenwood and the RDS510. Anyhow, a quick call to OEM Retro, an order placed and an RDS315 fitted at my work place this afternoon. £700 fitted!

Choose the 315 as it comes with integrated phone hands free, wireless iPhone music link and dab radio. The 510 fitted was £1000. So huge savings over dealer fitted. Very good service from OEM - highly recommended..

aleve said:
Sorry but wouldn't recommend this unit. I find it very frustrating when using the dab radio as it loose signal all the time when in fm mode it pikes up even les station's I think it is the aerial they stick to the window. It isn't a problem answering the phone which connects with my Android phone but the vw 310 worked a lot better. With the 310 I could also connect my phone music by blue tooth. It doesn't do it on the kenwood DNX521DAB even down loaded the kenwood android app to see if that would work. Apple phones apartfrom the latest ones connect to the unit with a lead in the glove box in mine I had them bring the usb lead through to connect my phone and play my music that way didn't work although I can do updates with a memory stick this way. Cd and dvd pla6 well and sat nav good. Overall should have kept the fitted vw310 and bought a garmin sat nav

If your van has DAB then Kenwood do have a connector that can connect to the original factory DAB aerials in the wing mirrors that may make your signal better.

Unfortunately on this model Kenwood it is not possible to stream music via Bluetooth, you could get an adapter and plug that in in the glove box and you would stream through that if you did want to stream music and not have your phone connected to the Kenwood constantly.

cheers

If you are going to name and shame dealers and In the interest of accuracy Listers is in Coventry and vindis is in st Ives :oops:

Back