Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood dab multimedia system

I wonder on occasions that Vindis are on another planet (earth base maybe at Ives)!!

smgcowfold said:
If your van has DAB then Kenwood do have a connector that can connect to the original factory DAB aerials in the wing mirrors that may make your signal better

Is it likely that a vehicle not specified with factory DAB might still have the DAB aerial in the mirrors??

generally we are happy with our Kenwood, now. It took a couple of trips and on the second the dealer sent the unit back for replacement under warranty. The problems we suffered

Not finding radio stations
Re tuning radio stations
Poor reception
SatNav locking up/crashing

We did not experience any issues with the iPod aux hook up or the phone features. We do not have the MFSW.

I have the Kenwood before the DAB and wanted to add a Pure Dab adapter VW said cant be done with that unit, Halfords say they can :headbang don't know for the best please he4lp

Rich Corrado said:
Please see the attached link from YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUuyyz8uMGw

If you cant be bothered wait 4.15 is where he starts talking about the phone.

I appreciate this is not a California but it is a new VW Tiguan with a multifunction steering wheel.

If it works on this why doesn't it work with the California?

That's a great link there Rich - that is exactly how it would work in a T5 also.

The phone button works to answer and end calls - I think the confusion has come here against the factory BT prep which allows you to access your phonebook through the wheel - on the Kenwood the phone book is all done via the touchscreen.

Rich I have tried to reply to your PM but it says you have PM's disabled...!? :eek: :doh

I don't know how that happened but please try again, as I have changed my settings back to how they were.

Hello Ken Wood

Would this have to be installed at the dealer? Any idea what they are charging for a retrofit? Or can is there a list of other authorised resellers/fitters?

Cheers, good to have you aboard

johnyboy said:
Hello Ken Wood
:hello

johnyboy said:
Would this have to be installed at the dealer? Any idea what they are charging for a retrofit? Or can is there a list of other authorised resellers/fitters?

It's an approved accessory so available through your VWCV Dealer - SMG on here for instance.

You don't have to get it fitted by them I guess?! but I'd advise it.

Buying it through a VW Van Centre ensures you get the correct & latest vehicle interface and the correct antenna, and of course a nationwide VW Accessory Warranty/Support network.

There are a few cheaper ones about on well known auction sites but I would be very weary of these - they often don't have UK software on and are "grey imports" - they also don't include the vehicle interface and antenna which is quite costly to buy as a separate (suddenly the bargain gets more expensive!) - and with a technical software based product such as this personally I'd prefer the service backup of a dealer!

johnyboy said:
Cheers, good to have you aboard

Thanks for the welcome! :thumb

..to continue .

I'm purely interested in sound quality and I'm not vaguely interested in mfsw or Bluetooth.

As an up grade to the standard cd unit is the KenwoodCD/DR any good....I love my music and the Cali lends itself to cruising with quality sound. If upgrading the cd unit, does it also mean we'd have to upgrade the speakers to appreciate the difference?

Cheers

Dan

I've always wondered about this as well - surely any sound system is limited by the quality of the speakers it uses to produce it's sound?
I don't know if the California's speakers have been upgraded from the transporter's but I've noticed very little difference in sound quality since upgrading my standard fit 210 to the pioneer F930bt I have now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have bought the kenwood unit and fitted it myself. The standard system was pretty dreadful and it was the first thing to be replaced. I've also added an Inphase under seat Subwoofer. Although its small it produces enough bass to unload the Bass from standard (also pretty average) speakers. Fitting the stereo is pretty straight forward except for having to fit the DAB Antenna. Sub fitting was a lot longer to do as both seats need removing.
Audio quality is far better, even with the standard speakers, mainly due to the higher output I think (can actually turn it up !!) If I'm allowed to spend any more money then front speakers would be next thing on my list.

Only downsides are Slow boot time (very slow compared to the factory system in my Discovery) and Phone Bluetooth phone connection doesn't work very well. Iphone 4 and Galaxy S3 (pretty standard phones) I Have had to delete the S3 to allow my Iphone to connect and the it doesn't always do it.

I had mine fitted by the dealer. I wondered what was now on the windscreen (pictured below) and was told it was the DAB antenna. I do wonder what happens if I have the misfortune to replace my windscreen. Would I need a new antenna fitted as this one looks pretty well stuck to my current screen?

IMGP0090.JPG

Kenwood UK said:
Rich Corrado said:

I appreciate this is not a California but it is a new VW Tiguan with a multifunction steering wheel.

That's a great link there Rich - that is exactly how it would work in a T5 also.

The phone button works to answer and end calls - I think the confusion has come here against the factory BT prep which allows you to access your phonebook through the wheel - on the Kenwood the phone book is all done via the touchscreen.

Any magic available to get the Kenwood System integrated into the T5? I understand why it isn't, but I just wondered.

James

James said:
Kenwood UK said:
Rich Corrado said:

Any magic available to get the Kenwood System integrated into the T5? I understand why it isn't, but I just wondered.

James

I don't follow what you mean here?

If should, and does work like in that video in the T5's?

I think I need to do a video of my van...

Kenwood UK said:
I think I need to do a video of my van...

Sounds like a good idea.
I am certainly interested in the Kenwood for my new Beach.
Can you confirm that the T5 built in DAB aerial will plug directly into the unit without the need for an external aerial.
Presumably the GPS aerial will sit, out of sight, under the dash-top tray above the head unit.
Don't like dashboard clutter. ;)

Bill

surfbus said:
Can you confirm that the T5 built in DAB aerial will plug directly into the unit without the need for an external aerial.

To Kenwood UK ....... any feedback on the above would be gratefully received.
Call me paranoid, but feels like everytime I post, I kill the thread. :sad

Thanks,

Bill.

surfbus said:
surfbus said:

To Kenwood UK ....... any feedback on the above would be gratefully received.
Call me paranoid, but feels like everytime I post, I kill the thread. :sad

Thanks,

Bill.

I don't know for sure Bill, but if you ordered or already have DAB radio then you already have the external aerial (it's wrapped internally in the drivers door mirror I believe) then I'd be 95% certain it would just plug into the back of any unit. Worst case is that you might need a small adaptor.

I've got the Kenwood DAB, that I bought to replace the non-DAB version.

Many,many aspects of the functionality are good, especially with the add-ons. I have the digital TV and revcam, both of which are really good. I also use a slave display and external amps and sub.

The downside for me, is the terrible user interface. All on screen controls look they have been designed by a muppet, and most menu structures etc are clunky and poorly designed. The ipod controls in particular are very poor.

Having said this, everything works well, and the newer version of the Garmin nav engine is a vast improvement over the original kenwood.

Possibly the weakest part is the bluetooth interface with iPhone. Maybe this is down to the crap bluetooth stack that apple uses, but whatever the reason, its poor.

As someone else said, the greatest part is the (relatively) low price vs. factory fitted VW kit.

timhutch said:
I have the digital TV

Thanks for that info.
Is the freeview TV a simple hardware add-on?
I have a Garmin Nuvi Sat Nav with built in Freeview and the reception is normally very good even with the extremely small built in aerial .... but the screen is a bit small, so would be good to incorporate that on the Kenwood.

Back