Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood DNX521DAB steering controls not working

R

robhunny

VIP Member
Hi,

I bought an ex-demo California from a VW dealer who installed this unit for me before I took delivery of the vehicle. The vehicle has steering wheel controls but they seem to be completely disconnected and they have no effect. The dealer can't explain why they don't work. Everything I read suggests they should, possibly also with parking sensor & climatronic integration.

I have taken a look behind the unit and there is nothing obviously amiss. If anyone has similar experiences or any theories why they wouldn't work I'd be very interested to hear from them!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I have the exact same set up as you, and 99 times out of 100 the MF Steering Wheel Controls work fine!.. I would push back on the dealer as they certainly should work!!

Thanks

James

I have this too and mine works with the MFSW controls

Thanks Guys,
I finally got it working myself tonight by purchasing 2 Kenwood accessory cables (CAW-CKIMVW1 & CAW-KIMUN1) and scrounging an ISO connector from Kenwood. There's a lot of spaghetti in my dashboard and probably unnecessary but it all works. Hoping to get VW to refund the costs of the cables.
Thanks again,
Robert

Hi there. I'll shortly be picking up my 180 DSG and am considering the Kenwood upgrade. The Newcastle dealer is suggesting that the Kenwood will not communicate with the mfsw! I a m encouraged by some of the comments above but can anyone confirm if the rear parking sensors and heater graphics will be shown on the Kenwood display?

Thanks

Hi , On our recently fitted Kenwood onto our 2013 SE the MSW works, the graphics for front and rear sensors and heating can be displayed displayed. However if you have the rear camera fitted you will have to disable the sensor graphics otherwise they override the camera. We had a few problems with the configuration but after a couple trips back to the dealer all is now well.

Chrisandkateg,

That's for the reply. One further question - the Kenwood and mfsw integration - the success that you've had is this with the standard wiring loom or has he loom had to be updated?

The MFSW will work with the Kenwood but the phone button and microphone button will not work with the Kenwood. We have one loom that comes with the Kenwood and no need for any extra looms to make the MFSW parts work.

cheers

Agreed - the MFSW should work, the phone button wont but the microphone button should mute the audio when pressed (and does on ours). When we had it fitted the MFSW didn't work initially and one of the plugs was found not to be fully seated at rear. Not aware of any loom upgrade required.

Yes, sorry forgot. The microphone button should mute the sound.

cheers

Hello guys,

Just to clear this up;

The DNX521DAB will work with the Multifunction Wheel - you will be able to control Volume +/- Track +/- the telephone button will answer a call on a short press, and end a call on a long press, the mute button will attenuate the sound (reduce it by 90% ATT)

This is standard as supplied in the box with the unit - you do not need "extra leads"

If you have factory parking sensors front and or rear they will display.

If you have digital climate control - "climbatronic" this will also display.

Hi all, have same problem MFSW not working. Have wiggled cables and plugs.
On looking, I'm curtain that a cable/connector is missing?
Looking on factory plug, one removed from back of existing radio. Is the blue part of the plug
for MFSW connection? Great full for any help.

Back