Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen cupboard internal dimensions

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I have searched for the internal dimensions of the Ocean kitchen cupboards but I can't find them, sorry. Does anyone have these to hand or would anyone kindly measure theirs?
We're hiring a cali soon and have got some storage containers that I'm hoping will fit in the kitchen cupboards and could do with knowing the depth, width and height.
Many thanks.

From my experience its the width of the cupboard openings that are critical if you are planning to extract the containers as and when needed. Make them too wide and they jam against one another. I have 2 on each shelf in the left cupboard and 2 in the lower section on the right. For the lower left due to the poorer access I used containers with hinged fronts.

I have some containers that are 39 x 28 x 14cm and wondering how many of these would fit, is the depth more than 39cm?

Here are my old notes can't vouch for their accuracy:

Kitchen
Drawer 38 w 33 depth
Under 38w 37 depth 17h
Under 24.5 height

Left cupboard
Depth 35 height 28 width 38
Depth 37 height 28 width 38

Here are my old notes can't vouch for their accuracy:

Kitchen
Drawer 38 w 33 depth
Under 38w 37 depth 17h
Under 24.5 height

Left cupboard
Depth 35 height 28 width 38
Depth 37 height 28 width 38
Thank you

Be aware that the cupboards dont have a rectangular footprint. They’re slightly angled making deeper one side to the other. But I wouldn’t stress to much. If you’ve a variety of containers you can usually fill up dead space with other bits / packs of food (or beer) . It’s also hard to fully plan the storage before you use a van. We’re curating ours each trip, and that’s 16 months of ownership, plus 2 hired vans prior.

What I didn’t consider is the fact it’s a hire van and it comes equipped with certain kitchen kit and will already be stored in the kitchen cupboards and bench drawer. I’ll just pack whatever we’re taking in different containers and if they don’t fit on the cupboards or drawer then I’ll pack them in the boot area.

I’m not going to worry too much about it and just try and enjoy the experience as much as possible.

The Cali we’re hiring comes with a 4 bike rack on the tailgate but apparently there’s a maximum weight of 17kg per bike and my ebike is 17.6kg (without battery) so a little disappointing that we can’t take the bikes but maybe I’m trying to pack too much in a short 3 day break.

What I didn’t consider is the fact it’s a hire van and it comes equipped with certain kitchen kit and will already be stored in the kitchen cupboards and bench drawer. I’ll just pack whatever we’re taking in different containers and if they don’t fit on the cupboards or drawer then I’ll pack them in the boot area.

I’m not going to worry too much about it and just try and enjoy the experience as much as possible.

The Cali we’re hiring comes with a 4 bike rack on the tailgate but apparently there’s a maximum weight of 17kg per bike and my ebike is 17.6kg (without battery) so a little disappointing that we can’t take the bikes but maybe I’m trying to pack too much in a short 3 day break.
If you put your ebike on the inside there shouldn't be a problem, and if you are really concerned take the saddle off, probably weighs more than 600gms.

If you put your ebike on the inside there shouldn't be a problem, and if you are really concerned take the saddle off, probably weighs more than 600gms.
I guess I could put the bike inside but I'm not even sure if we'll actually use the bikes although it would have been nice to take just in case. I might just weigh the saddle to see if it does bring the bike down below 17kg and then decide if we do really want to take the bikes.

And deflate the tires, especially if it's still winter air.:bananadance2

And deflate the tires, especially if it's still winter air.:bananadance2
Why? is winter air heavier than summer air? :)

If putting the bikes on the tailgate bike rack is a faff then I shall not bother. As soon as I pick the hire van up on Monday and bring it home I don't want to spend ages sorting and packing it, I just want to get on our way asap.

Why? is winter air heavier than summer air? :)
Certainly. Winter air is colder and therefore heavier.
You will learn a lot of interesting things about it by typing "winter air" in the search function (top right).

If it's the official vw bike rack, they may have taken the total load capacity and divided it by the 4 rails. I don't think (could be wrong) there is a limit per rail, so a couple of heavy bikes might be 'in specification'. Worth checking with them.

Aah, my mistake. I meant inside carrier on the bike rack, next to the tailgate. Not inside the vehicle.

If it's the official vw bike rack, they may have taken the total load capacity and divided it by the 4 rails. I don't think (could be wrong) there is a limit per rail, so a couple of heavy bikes might be 'in specification'. Worth checking with them.
I did ask the question initially about taking our ebikes as their FAQ's states "Bike rack – takes 4 non-electric bikes. ALL our campervans have a bike rack at no extra cost!"

They asked what the weight of our bikes were so I checked and told them, then they come back with the details of the bike rack with the 17kg limit from campervantastic

Sorry the link doesn't work to the bike rack on camervantastic website and I'm not sure how I edit a post.

Sorry the link doesn't work to the bike rack on camervantastic website and I'm not sure how I edit a post.
The system is set up to not allow links to them due to history and competition aspects.

The system is set up to not allow links to them due to history and competition aspects.
Oh ok.
Just copied the wording for the bike rack.

Volkswagen Genuine 4 bike rack made of anodized aluminium comes pre-assembled for easy fitting. (Made by Thule under licence from VW)
Can be easily mounted on the vehicle and affixed to the tailgate using allen keys. The tailgate can be opened with bike carrier mounted but only without bikes fitted.
We strongly recommend you grease the spindles and Tommy nuts to help prevent rust.
The carrier has a maximum load rating of 60 kgs.
Each bike can weigh up to 17 kgs.

Sliding wheel clamps allow for different sized bikes and adjustable fixing arms attach up to 4 bikes.

NB: Fixing arms can swing so should be clamped to the frame when not in use or removed to prevent interference with tailgate windscreen wiper.

Comes with protective stickers for paintwork.

Fits:
T6/T6.1 Multivan
T6/T6.1 California, Ocean and Beach
T6/T6.1 Caravelle
T6/T6.1 Transporter

Net weight : 15kg
For the transport of 4 bikes
Tensioned frame profile: 80mm
Installation Note: If necessary, the gas struts of the tailgate may be replaced.
Not for vehicles with decorative foil on the rear
Not for: high roof
Not for vehicles with electrically operated tailgates. Please use the T5 style Bike rack for the T6 instead
Only fits elevating tailgate, not barn doors
Does not fit tailgates with fitted roof edge spoiler

Edit... Our posts overlapped, but I wrote...

For others benefit, it reads...

"The carrier has a maximum load rating of 60 kgs.
Each bike can weigh up to 17 kgs."

It's slightly different when it's your own van but I'd rather carry 2 ebikes at 22kg each (batteries removed) than 4 regular bikes totalling 60kg. I've certainly had no rail flex problems with a single heavy ebike.

But as the OP says, might not need them on a first, 3 day trip. Keep things as simple as possible for max fun and to avoid an expensive divorce...

Back