Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Tap / Water Pump not working.

Great advice. Similar story. No water at tap. Fuse blown. Replaced fuse and still no water. Removed cover on water tank and pump had stuck. Gave it a spin with a small screwdriver and now working......

Thanks..

ron b said:
We had this problem a year ago - no water coming out of the tap, yet we could hear the pump working and the water sloshing around in the tank. Turned out that the pump had become dislodged from its seating inside the tank, and because the pump was moving around in the water when being used, the exit pipe from the pump had eventually slipped off the exit connector inside the tank, so the water was just circulating around inside the tank.
Access the tank through the "wardrobe", lift the circular cover, unscrew the inspection lid and disconnect the power lead. It's a good idea to open the boot as this will trigger the boot light which is next to the tank and illuminate it for you. The bottom of the pump should be sited in a shallow cup on the base of the tank, to the right of centre looking down into the tank. You need to feel for this as it is not obvious when looking in. A pipe from the pump should be pushed onto the exit connector in the top of the tank to the right of the inspection access. Initially we had problems of the hose coming off again until we discovered that the pump needed to sit in the cup. Additionally we also decided to try to make a better job of keeping the hose on the exit connector. A metal jubilee clip that might rust was not a good idea and we ended up using a plastic gardening tie that could be tightened one-handedly. A year on and no further problems. We do take care filling the tank - pushing in a hosepipe probably caused the pump to become dislodged in the first place.

I've just had this problem, but all fixed now thanks to this valuable post! This saved me a daunting trip to the dealers. The inspection hatch lid was difficult to remove but several whacks with a small rubber mallet and the end of a wooden spoon did it.

I use the hand end of my long nose pliers and a mole grip on the end to open the cover. Just have to make sure it doesn't jum out. VW Campers in the Netherlands do sell a tool for it, but I've always got my pliers and mole grip with me, and they don't cost anything!

I use the hand end of my long nose pliers and a mole grip on the end to open the cover. Just have to make sure it doesn't jum out. VW Campers in the Netherlands do sell a tool for it, but I've always got my pliers and mole grip with me, and they don't cost anything!

Just tried the butt end of two small hammer shafts on the lid then used a spanner to locate on one hammer shaft and apply torque to the other.
Sort of gripped the two hammer heads together with slight downward pressure to engage with the lid in a kind of triangular set up with one hand and placed the spanner as low as poss then turned - bingo. It was quite easy in the end.No tool prep or cost - simples is what we like.

Thanks for the thread folks. Just had same problem
Opened tank top using the tow hook and my breaker bar. (Not at home )
Turned the rotor and sorted
My pump sat behind two pegs. May be à VW improvement in 2015
Wouldnt have done it without your advice

We have a variation on this issue - turn the tap on - nothing happens, no noise from the pump. Turn the tap on and off a few times, water arrives at the usual rate. This has been happening spasmodically for some months, with the tap working normally most of the time. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

We have a variation on this issue - turn the tap on - nothing happens, no noise from the pump. Turn the tap on and off a few times, water arrives at the usual rate. This has been happening spasmodically for some months, with the tap working normally most of the time. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian
It is a electric switch from the tap giving power to the pump .
I would start looking at the switch....
Belive some have opend it and cleaned/ used contactspray .

Thanks HC - helpful as ever! I'll look into that.

Thanks HC - helpful as ever! I'll look into that.
Beware Ian as contact spray is something completely different in my line of business ie a very sticky spray that would ruin a cali tap!
Does Wim mean something like WD40?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@Freeley ,
Contact spray to me is very fluid , evaporates quickly , and is non-sticky...can be used to clean electrical contacts.
There's also that "start-pilote" spray that does about thesame

WD-40 is an oil based greasy product to get correded things loose .

Thanks both

- HC - don't suppose you know where the switch is? (We're on our way to northern Spain just now so hoping I can leave it till we get home in a couple of weeks)

Brill thanks Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks both

- HC - don't suppose you know where the switch is? (We're on our way to northern Spain just now so hoping I can leave it till we get home in a couple of weeks)

I knew about the tread .
@Tim Hook , did a perfect assistence....:thumb

Dear Everyone with the "no water coming out of the tap problem".
I read all these posts and the previous tap problem posts and thanks to all of your input I got a pump from eBay for £13 + postage. I'm a woman with no electrical/mechanical/motor vehicle repair experience but having had SEVERAL very expensive bills from VW garages for other work I was d.....d if this was going to be another VW garage rip off. I could hear a click when I turned on the tap so fingers crossed it wasn't the micro switch. My California is a 2006 SE TDI that I've had since 2011. I followed the guidance from all of you brave souls ... got my "tool" made from a bit of kindling with a couple of bolts 3" apart to get the lid off. Pulled out the old pump, cut the wires, used some 'joiners' and insulating tape and hey presto I have a new pump and water coming out of the tap. Without the FORUM I'd be facing ANOTHER HUGE VW RIP OFF BILL. So THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO INSPIRED ME TO DO IT MYSELF.
PS none of the previous info on the fuse positions were relevant ... I did go through EVERY 5amp I could find and they were all good so deduced it was the pump.

Great stuff @fergie ! Girl power.....!

Fuse info is very hard to give as fuse lay-out can differ from builtdate !

Dear Everyone with the "no water coming out of the tap problem".
I read all these posts and the previous tap problem posts and thanks to all of your input I got a pump from eBay for £13 + postage. I'm a woman with no electrical/mechanical/motor vehicle repair experience but having had SEVERAL very expensive bills from VW garages for other work I was d.....d if this was going to be another VW garage rip off. I could hear a click when I turned on the tap so fingers crossed it wasn't the micro switch. My California is a 2006 SE TDI that I've had since 2011. I followed the guidance from all of you brave souls ... got my "tool" made from a bit of kindling with a couple of bolts 3" apart to get the lid off. Pulled out the old pump, cut the wires, used some 'joiners' and insulating tape and hey presto I have a new pump and water coming out of the tap. Without the FORUM I'd be facing ANOTHER HUGE VW RIP OFF BILL. So THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO INSPIRED ME TO DO IT MYSELF.
PS none of the previous info on the fuse positions were relevant ... I did go through EVERY 5amp I could find and they were all good so deduced it was the pump.
Well done. DIY is so rewarding, and so much more convenient than a garage, apart from the cost
Re FUSES my handbook does say they may be in a different place, but the fuses will be in the same order, so I looked out for the pattern.....and found mine

No water flowing in Kitchen Sink. I knew it wasn't the pump as my shower worked fine. VW Dealer stated it was a faulty sensor on the Tap and that they have had to replace them on several other Camper Vans. Lucky for me, the guarantee covered the replacement cost.

We've been touring the UK on a 6 week Magical Mystery Tour when the tap conked out. I dropped into Listers VW Service in Stradford only to be told by Holly that it would take 2 weeks to get an appointment. Instead she suggested driving to Lister Van Centre in Droitwich Worchestershire where Bradley & Team were able to get me back on the road the next day. Excellent Service - Highly Recommended.

Juts had an issue with my water pump. It was making the pumping sound but nothing coming out of the tap. There was plenty water in the tank as I only just filled it up. I think what may have happened is that I ran the pump when there was no water left in the tank and I guess this may screwed things up a bit. Anyway, after continually trying the tap with nothing coming out I decided to try the "blow" method. This yielded immediate results! As soon as put my lips around the tap end and blew the water started to come out again. Magic! Must have been an airlock but in that case when the pump is pumping where does the water go if its not coming out of the tap?

Juts had an issue with my water pump. It was making the pumping sound but nothing coming out of the tap. There was plenty water in the tank as I only just filled it up. I think what may have happened is that I ran the pump when there was no water left in the tank and I guess this may screwed things up a bit. Anyway, after continually trying the tap with nothing coming out I decided to try the "blow" method. This yielded immediate results! As soon as put my lips around the tap end and blew the water started to come out again. Magic! Must have been an airlock but in that case when the pump is pumping where does the water go if its not coming out of the tap?
If the airlock is in the pump it’s just spinning in a “bubble” of air until you give it a blow or suck and prime the pump.

No water from my tap either! Replaced the fuse. Tap clicks but no water. Removed water tank lid an pump. How do I free the impelled?

No water from my tap either! Replaced the fuse. Tap clicks but no water. Removed water tank lid an pump. How do I free the impelled?
This may help you

Ok I removed the water pump and checked the impeller which seemed ok and rotating with a bit of resistanc. I then went back and checked the new fuse and it had blown!Any ideas what to do next??

52DB101A-B1C1-40F3-A259-E6500B80D5F1.jpegOk I removed the water pump and checked the impeller which seemed ok and rotating with a bit of resistanc. I then went back and checked the new fuse and it had blown!Any ideas what to do next??
Did you try and run it in air or under water. If it ran in air it will have drawn too much current (needs resistance of water to limit motor speed) and possibly blown fuse.

I would suggest using a continuity tester to check that power from the tap micro switch is reaching the connector block at the tank after you have put a new fuse in to check the circuit is sound and doesn’t blow the fuse.
Then you reconnect pump, submerge in water and operate the tap quickly, you should hear pump working as it primes.

If nothing either impeller is still seized enough to stop motor rotating freely.

If fuse still working, have another go at pushing on the impeller to reseat and see if the resistance to turning has reduced.

If the fuse has gone immediately after you switched the tap on for a second or so you have an electrical short to earth after the connector block at the rear tank. The only item after the connector block is the pump, so you have to conclude that the pump motor has shorted out giving the high current draw that is blowing the fuse.

Great. I’ll give that a go