Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Known fault on RCD510 Bluetooth music

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello all,

I'm a soon-to-be Berghaus owner and have been doing some research about upgrading the standard non-DAB RCD310 that is fitted in the van.

I'd love a VW DAB radio with integrated Bluetooth and after speaking to Hazzy Dayz, it seems my best option is to go for the RCD510 DAB with the Bluetooth unit. I wouldn't be against having a Parrott or Bury but would much prefer the VW integrated Bluetooth unit.

However, after trawling all of the VW forums out there, I see lots of talk about a known fault with Bluetooth-ing music from your phone. Apparantly the RCD510 only takes the right-hand side channel of the music track and spreads that to all 4 speakers. For example, if you're listening to a song where the guitar was recorded for the left hand channel only, you won't hear the guitar.

Can anyone verify that?

I guess the next question would be whether the RCD510 does the same if Bluetooth-ing music through a Parrott or similar unit?

Thanks in advance

It's not something I've heard of but I don't know if I would notice until you said it.

What about having an MDI fitted as well and use the wired connection to the BT device (Presumably your phone).

The MDI will also charge the device.

I've just checked the pin outs for the VW Bluetooth and that would support your findings except it appears to be the Left Front Audio Channel.

1 V+
2 V-
3 Telephone ON
8 Audio LF Signal out +
9 Audio LF Signal Out -
10 Screening Term 31
11 Mic in +
12 Mic in -
15 K Line
16 Mute
17 CAN Hi
18 CAN Lo
37 Switched positive
39 Term 31 -ve
41 Interface Term 30
42 Mic Out +
43 Mic out -
44 Screening Term 31
45 Audio LF Sig input +
46 Audio LF Sig Input -
47 Wakeup lead to phone bracket
49 Serial Tx comms with telephone bracket +ve
50 Serial Tx comms with telephone bracket -ve
51 Serial Rx comms with telephone bracket +ve
52 Serial Rx comms with telephone bracket -ve

Cheers Stu. If you get chance, and can find a suitable song, run a test and let us know.
You're right about getting an MDI.

Anyway, looks like adding a DAB RCD or RNS unit is out of my price range at the moment. Buying the Berghaus has cleaned us out!

I have a B&O demo disc that came with the car I expect that's got something suitable on it.

Trouble is if you aren't an Audiophile or know a specific sound should come from a specific channel you wouldn't know.

You can buy an RNS510 for decent money, fitting is straight forward.

What about buying a Pioneer unit rather than ripoff VW unit?
If you get the 9310 or 9410 it slots straight in and looks factory fit, and from what i can tell is much better than the VW unit and costs a lot less.
It's got bluetooth built in so no need for extra bluetooth unit.

I don't have the Kenwood unit but I have seen one in action and in my opinion it's a definite second place to the RNS510.

Personal choices though :thumb

Do you mean Pioneer Stu?
I thought the RNS510 was Kenwood?

Funnily enough I have one customer who has recently purchased a Caravelle and says that the RNS510 in it doesn't stream music via bluetooth, but the one in his MK6 Golf does. I am in discussion with VW about it to see if anything can be resolved.

Will let you know.

As I am sure you are aware Alex, the Bluetooth Streaming is not a function of the RNS510 but is a function of the Bluetooth Telephone Interface.

Depending on how old the van is it may not have a BT Interface that supports streaming or it may be that it requires an update of the firmware on the RNS510.

Mine does support BT Streaming and I have a 3C8 035 730 C unit in mine with 3890 firmware on the RNS510 although I think 4020 is the latest.

Bluetooth Music Streaming can also be disabled in the Bluetooth Interface coding, although it should be enabled by default it may be worth checking.

This is a brnad new Caravelle Edition 25, so should be the latest. Has bluetooth which is working, we updated it before it went out to the customer so will be interesting to see what VW say about it.

Cheers

smgcowfold said:
This is a brnad new Caravelle Edition 25, so should be the latest. Has bluetooth which is working, we updated it before it went out to the customer so will be interesting to see what VW say about it.

Cheers

Could be a customer who owns quite a few T5's then?? :laugh2

Stu said:
I don't have the Kenwood unit but I have seen one in action and in my opinion it's a definite second place to the RNS510.

Personal choices though :thumb

Opinions vary depending on where you look. Seen a few comparisons that put the Kenwood ahead and it's a more complete unit with integrated Bluetooth.

Anyway, the list price is a lot less. Kenwood also uses Garmin Satnav which many rate are superior :thumb

Interesting and well informed comparison here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/18 ... dnx520vbt/

I've had a facelift A5 on loan for a couple of days and these have BT Audio so I did a little trial today with music on the Jukebox (Hard Disk) and music over BT and BT appears to be a compramise.

Stu said:
I've had a facelift A5 on loan for a couple of days and these have BT Audio so I did a little trial today with music on the Jukebox (Hard Disk) and music over BT and BT appears to be a compramise.

Music over BT is cack. Loses most of the quality. Unless you have no ears or are only after convenience, just plug in directly!

Back