Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RCD510 anyone?

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm thinking about treating myself to this upgrade from the standard RCD310. This is primarily in the hope of improving sound quality whilst sticking with VW equipment. I'm not interested in sat nav (and the even more expensive RNS510!), as we really like our Tom Tom.

Does anyone have the RCD510 installed? I would really appreciate a listen before committing the cash! Also any comments on the difference if any in sound quality?

I understand that the standard speakers are quite respectable once the head unit has been replaced.

We live in Kendal, Cumbria, so if there was someone in the north of England/southern Scotland? We also visit my wife's parents who live near Milton Keynes, quite regularly.

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

Hi Ian how's the cali going?
Perhaps try a couple of dealers near you to see if they have any vehicles in stock with that head unit installed.
Sound quality is probably limited by the speakers wouldn't have thought a new head unit would make much difference. It is a transporter at the end of the day.
I want a new stereo as well but fancy one of the sat nav units - not the rns 510 though as it's too dear. Might venture abroad this year but can't rely on the other half for navigating!

Hi Ian

I have fitted a RCD510, I can't say that I've noticed any massive improvement in sound quality over the RCD310 as I thought that was pretty good anyway. What it does give you is a system that has far more functionality and a display that compliments the van and doesnt look like it was fitted as an afterthought I always hated the blue display when the dash is mainly white.
I can give you contact details of someone that can get them at a good price if your interested?

I have the single din unit (rcd 210?) in my 61 plate transporter and the display on it is the same colour as the dash. Think it might be a 2012 model year update.

My Cali had RCD310 as standard which I upgraded to RNS510. I dont think the sound quality of the RNS510 is as good as the RCD310 & RNS510 does not have the track name on the screen like the RCD310.
Don't know if any of this will apply to the RCD510.
My conclusion is that RCD310 is a better unit as far as sound goes than the RNS510.

Thanks all for the replies!

As I'm only bothered about improving the sound quality (I guess I am a bit fussy!) and I'm not keen on installing non VW kit (again, I'm a bit fussy!), having regard to your comments I think I'll just leave things be.

(Jason - the Cali continues to do us proud, we're off through France to northern Spain in September and up to Applecross in June. Still no vanorak, in fact I'm beginning to think we might not bother. Clare is fairly hardy, as am I and we do like the ability to unzip the windows in the morning to enjoy the fresh air)

Back