Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Land Rover Defender series 2

westfalia

westfalia

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Is anyone familiar with the defender ?
We are going to drive one back to germany from the uk in couple of weeks.
I´m wondering how it´s gonna be on fuel.
It´s a diesel, how far do you think i´d travel on a tank full with a cruising speed
of 60 :headbang it´s an 800mile trip.

Owned quite a few Landies! ;)

Not sure what you mean by "Defender Series II" though?

This is not a normal designation.

Generally they are referred to by the engine fitted. ie:

200Tdi
300Tdi
Td5
Puma etc.

Which year and which engine is it?

Last edited:
try landrover forum

No such thing!

[puts on Landy nut hat]

You can have a Ninety...

Or a One Ten or a Defender 90".

But not a "90 Series 2"!

Before the Disco came out there was only the Land Rover (Ninety or One Ten - refers to the wheelbase) or the Range Rover.

When the Disco launched they called the Land Rover the Land Rover Defender (90 or 110 or 130 etc).

What year?

But to cut a long story short you'll see anything from 24 to 34 depending on model.

Tank capacity depends on model but biggest Defender 90" tank is 12 gallon/55 litres IIRC.

I've done Essex to the Dordogne in one hit in a military NA (non turbo) soft top - doable but tiring... ;)

Last edited:
No such thing!

[puts on Landy nut hat]

You can have a Ninety...

Or a One Ten or a Defender.

But not a "90 Series 2"!

Before the Disco came out there was only the Land Rover (Ninety or One Ten - refers to the wheelbase) or the Range Rover.

When the Disco launched they called the Land Rover the Land Rover Defender (90 or 110 or 130 etc).

What year?

But to cut a long story short you'll see anything from 24 to 34 depending on model.

I've done Essex to the Dordogne in one hit in a military NA (non turbo) soft top - doable but tiring... ;)
Sorry, got it wrong. It´s a 1969 90 series 2 2.2 diesel

Ahh. A Series II (it will be an 88" if a short wheel base) diesel is quite rare - most were petrol, the diesel engines are not great - 50 bhp or so for the 2.0 and 60 for the 2.25 and a top speed to match! The early Landy diesels were not great engines - fuel consumption is terrible too. Maybe work on 26 - 28 at a steady 55? Better on fuel (but not power) than the Series vehicles 2.25 petrols though, mine did around 16 - 18mpg!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sad
That is if the original engine is still in and not been messed with ...
Pasing Luxembourg fill up some jerrycans :thumb

I've done lots of trips to France 1000km in one go with my Defender 90 Td5 back then before i swapped the Def for a Cali . Thats probally why my ears are still having these constant buzzing noise...

Last edited:
Ahh. A Series II (it will be an 88" if a short wheel base) diesel is quite rare - most were petrol, the diesel engines are not great - 50 bhp or so for the 2.0 and 60 for the 2.25 and a top speed to match! The early Landy diesels were not great engines - fuel consumption is terrible too. Maybe work on 26 - 28 at a steady 55? Better on fuel (but not power) than the Series vehicles 2.25 petrols though, mine did around 16 - 18mpg!
Thank you very much for that.
Have you any idea how big the tank is ?

That is if the original engine is still in and not been messed with ...
Pasing Luxembourg fill up some jerrycans :thumb

I've done lots of trips to France 1000km in one go with my Defender 90 Td5 back then before i swapped the Def for a Cali . Thats probally why my ears are still having these constant buzzing noise...
Ha Ha. yes i think i may invest in the bose headphones.

its a 1969 2.2 diesel.

Petrol was 2.25ltr diesels were 2.5ltr both slow, so be prepared for a slow journey visiting many fuel stations on the way.

I have had numerous Series LR's this was my last one..

DSC_0057.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sad
From experience don't expect to go over 50mph, low teens mpg at 50mph.

I did 600 miles in a day in a new td5 defender with aircon, heated seats etc & that nearly killed me.

I love old land rovers & have had a few, I just don't like driving them long distance. You would be better off hiring a trailer & towing it behind the cali.

Petrol was 2.25ltr diesels were 2.5ltr both slow, so be prepared for a slow journey visiting many fuel stations on the way.

I have had numerous Series LR's this was my last one..

View attachment 26142

Series Landies had a 2.0 or 2 1/4 diesel. The 2.5 diesel came in with the Ninety and One Ten, first normally aspirated (as in my military Ninety - superb engines) and then the rather poor 2.5 with bolted on turbo, not great.

Best ever of course IMHO (and many other enthusiasts) was the 300tdi. The last great proper LR engine with no electrickery to stop the home mechanic. Sadly my 110 CSW 300tdi was spirited away from Lidl car park one week before Christmas. Running round in a 300tdi Disco now which I must say has all the capability of the old 110 and a damn sight more comfort! Also cost 1/10 what an equivalent year 300tdi would due to the terminal rot that kills all early Discos. Hoping to get one more year/MOT out of it though having spent £400 on welding last year. :)

From experience don't expect to go over 50mph, low teens mpg at 50mph.

I did 600 miles in a day in a new td5 defender with aircon, heated seats etc & that nearly killed me.

I love old land rovers & have had a few, I just don't like driving them long distance. You would be better off hiring a trailer & towing it behind the cali.
Your´re not wrong there...
I´m driving a Hymer over and selling it there. Then buy the land rover and drive back.
It might be a mad thing to do but once i´ve done it it´s done.
You only live once.
Its got overdrive so thats a bonus.

Back