Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW servicing rant - Money for what exactly? not brake fluid thats for sure

P

Pete Toogood

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I agree....

With a main dealer service all you are paying for is..

1) An oil and filter change
2) A stamp in your book
...and also a load of checks so they can find something to charge you the earth for when in reality it probably doesn't need urgent attention.
Not sure this is quite relevant but a friend with an Audi was shocked at the quote from Audi for a service so he went over the road to Skoda and they quoted much lower for the same thing! They got the job ! Some time later he again visited the Audi garage and the subject of the service came up so my friend told them what he had done. The reply was that he should have told them and they would price match ! My friend asked why they didn't just charge a reasonable price in the first place but didn't get a straight answer.

Blue Yonder

Blue Yonder

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
5th gen Haldex service falls due every 3 years.
This is not covered either. If you ask VW main dealer to carry out be sure they don't just change the Haldex oil. They need to remove the pump motor and clean the gauze inlet mesh too. Ask for a before and after photo of the gauze to make sure they do it!

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Intresting to see ”clean sliding window seals” on the list “ every three years !
Cam belt now 120k - not time specific !

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Intresting to see ”clean sliding window seals” on the list “ every three years !
From my experience the complete windows need replacing more frequently than every 3 years!

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Cam belt now 120k ? That would mean 95% of Cambelts are NEVER changed. Working on mine does average of 4K miles year I’m sorted for life.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Cam belt now 120k ? That would mean 95% of Cambelts are NEVER changed. Working on mine does average of 4K miles year I’m sorted for life.
120,000 kilometres or 75,000 miles.

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
All that moaning on here about UK spec cam belts seems to have paid off, sort of.
If you are talking Kilometres then this is probably directed at customers on the other side of the channel.. I’d love to hear that this actually applied to customers in the uk.

Wogga

Wogga

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
If you are talking Kilometres then this is probably directed at customers on the other side of the channel.. I’d love to hear that this actually applied to customers in the uk.
Why wouldn’t it be do RHD get a sub standard belt? ;)
The cam belt change is 120k in dusty conditions. Engine specific recommendations are further down the schedule possibly 200k.
The vehicle spec is Generic, and any countries which had different specs were further down the list, notably South American, Russia and China. . There is still a cam belt inspection further up. Manufacturers instructions what’s not to like.

Last edited:
Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Why wouldn’t it be do RHD get a sub standard belt? ;)
The vehicle spec is Generic, and any countries which had different specs were further down the list, notably South American countries . There is still a cam belt inspection further up. Manufacturers instructions what’s not to like.
Europe and uk have different criteria. That’s why everyone in the uk gets a new cam belt/Waterpump at 4 years regardless of mileage, Europe has much higher in kilometres and MUCH higher times..Or have new rules just come out for the UK.

Wogga

Wogga

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Europe and uk have different criteria. That’s why everyone in the uk gets a new cam belt/Waterpump at 4 years regardless of mileage, Europe has much higher in kilometres and MUCH higher times..Or have new rules just come out for the UK.
The schedule has the country exceptions at the end, nothing different noted for the UK on anything. Best 7 euros I spent accessing the service portal.

Scopes of service, market-specific deviations
This chapter only contains market-specific differences. This means that all the service activities or time and distance dependant additional work not listed here are listed in the normal scope of service work.
  • ! Argentina market
  • ! Brazil market
  • ! China market
  • ! Russian market

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The schedule has the country exceptions at the end, nothing different noted for the UK on anything. Best 7 euros I spent accessing the service portal.

This chapter only contains market-specific differences. This means that all the service activities or time and distance dependant additional work not listed here are listed in the normal scope of service work.
  • ! Argentina market
  • ! Brazil market
  • ! China market
  • ! Russian market
So what you are saying is that NO more cambelt/waterpump replacements at 4 years.. for us in the UK?

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion

• ! Argentina market
  • ! Brazil market
  • ! China market
  • ! Russian market
Nice one

Mine is 4 years old in January and I had a notification that it was due a cam belt a while ago which I’ve ignored.
I’ve got a 5 year warranty but with the mileage I’ve done my decision was to wait until at least 6 years. This makes life easier.

Mike

Wogga

Wogga

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So what you are saying is that NO more cambelt/waterpump replacements at 4 years.. for us in the UK?
VW are saying it according to their service schedule, this is their service schedule not mine. Be interesting to see what a dealer says. They have been having your pants down. Why would the U.K. have Been different to the rest of the world any way?

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Nice one

Mine is 4 years old in January and I had a notification that it was due a cam belt a while ago which I’ve ignored.
I’ve got a 5 year warranty but with the mileage I’ve done my decision was to wait until at least 6 years. This makes life easier.

Mike
If I was you I would check with them just to make sure that if something happened your warranty isn’t void. Nobody likes to spend upwards of £600 on a cambelt replacement when it’s completely unnecessary.

Wogga

Wogga

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Nice one

Mike
I’d go and ask him for a copy of VWs schedule

VW California Club