Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW servicing rant - Money for what exactly? not brake fluid thats for sure

wilburthewombat

wilburthewombat

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Dealer service is a rip-off. Doesn't matter what brand. Over-priced and poor quality / customer service. Ill you need it for is a 'full dealer service history' for future sale.
... rant over ...

S

subthree

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I agree....

With a main dealer service all you are paying for is..

1) An oil and filter change
2) A stamp in your book
...and also a load of checks so they can find something to charge you the earth for when in reality it probably doesn't need urgent attention.
3) the flash building, which is dictated to them by the "brand".
4) the coffee.

I totally agree that their prices are ridiculous, but this is not new news. Oil and filter is an easy DIY.

And as Perfectos says they trash your paintwork.

capt kirk

capt kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
During my last service (three years old ) i was told i needed new discs and brake pads. i said no. Two weeks later had its first mot at my local mot station and sailed through. i asked about the state of the rear brakes and they said plenty of meat on them and the discs were fine. Wont be going back to vw service unless i really have to, and they still called asking when i wanted to book it in to get the brakes done......

Legin

Legin

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
During my last service (three years old ) i was told i needed new discs and brake pads. i said no. Two weeks later had its first mot at my local mot station and sailed through. i asked about the state of the rear brakes and they said plenty of meat on them and the discs were fine. Wont be going back to vw service unless i really have to, and they still called asking when i wanted to book it in to get the brakes done......
That scam is alive and kicking, actually its the favourite one. Trouble is so many folk just get done over

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
That scam is alive and kicking, actually its the favourite one. Trouble is so many folk just get done over
Similar experience.... main dealer service/inspection plus MOT. I get a call saying that they found both rear tyres (less than 3k mile) had damage and would fail the MOT if they were to carry out test. So I was pleased that they’d saved me the cost of a MOT fail. Luckily they didn’t have a pair of tyres available so I took the Cali to my local MOT & tyre garage who could only find one tyre with damage .... so they get to supply tyre and carry out MOT. Saved about £150 and lost confidence (again) in dealer.
Now my van is getting on, it’s going to be independents for me!

Gavin123

Gavin123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
The app doesn't seem to supported any more, so I went on to the website, registered and when I put my Reg Plate in it wouldn't take it as it's a 'commercial vehicle'. What have I missed ?
The new app is called ‘My VW’ not the old one ‘we connect’.

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
If it makes you feel better I've just paid £934 for a 5yr service, MOT and new front struct gaiters on my Outlander PHEV.

Only done 32k and only 5000miles since the last service which cost £400. It seems the services from now on in include an annual value check so circa £450 annually. Based on the fact I use the electric 90% of the time that's an engine valve check every 500miles.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If it makes you feel better I've just paid £934 for a 5yr service, MOT and new front struct gaiters on my Outlander PHEV.

Only done 32k and only 5000miles since the last service which cost £400. It seems the services from now on in include an annual value check so circa £450 annually. Based on the fact I use the electric 90% of the time that's an engine valve check every 500miles.
No Sir......

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
We Connect works for me. Running the App on an iPhone X and it shows all the vitals for my new t6.1
Depends on the age of an Apple device whether a particular App works. I.e. Some TV Apps such as ITV Hub and All4 are no longer supported on my old iPad but do work on my iPhone.
As an aside, and I might be wrong but I thought that the My VW App only applied to VW cars not vans?

We Connect works for me. Running the App on an iPhone X and it shows all the vitals for my new t6.1
Depends on the age of an Apple device whether a particular App works. I.e. Some TV Apps such as ITV Hub and All4 are no longer supported on my old iPad but do work on my iPhone.
As an aside, and I might be wrong but I thought that the My VW App only applied to VW cars not vans?
Just noticed on the App Store that VW is indeed dropping the My VW App.
We Connect still supported. I think that will remain the case as its integrated with the Discover Media Pro package.

Wiggly Woo

Wiggly Woo

née liaoyang
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204

Just noticed on the App Store that VW is indeed dropping the My VW App.
We Connect still supported. I think that will remain the case as its integrated with the Discover Media Pro package.
That We-Connect app is crap. I entered the vin of our 204 Ocean and it comes back with a picture of a Velle and tells me it’s a 150! Plus it doesn’t do or tell you anything useful.

89576B1D-8DBF-44A4-AC02-FAB915BD41F7.jpeg

Last edited:
GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
That We-Connect app is crap. I entered the vin of our 204 Ocean and it comes back with a picture of a Velle and tells me it’s a 150! Plus it doesn’t do or tell you anything useful.

View attachment 69642
Yes its a bit underwhelming but don't you get any vehicle metrics, position on a map, navigation info (ie where’s the nearest petrol station), etc?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
i can't gety further than the VIN . says not available or not found or something

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Whoops, seem to have duplicated some puctures.

VW California Club