Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Lapland and Northern Lights Trip / Meet for 2018

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
0E53EB40-63FA-4AF6-8415-6293221C6E0A.jpeg E023C1AA-441A-458B-B0E4-2B521BA6451B.jpeg 655C979B-5D95-4503-9A52-21C290F46897.jpeg Hi everyone,
I am planning my tour of Lapland at the moment particularly to take pictures of the Northern Lights, which I’ve done 7 times before , each time with improving success and I now know the region well and how to take good pictures of the lights . Although this time will be the first in the Cali.
I’m leaving late autumn probably the middle of September. It’s not too cold , all season tyres will be fine especially if they have the snowflake, just in case . Although snow normally hasn’t fallen at this time . The Equinox is thought to be one of the best times to take Northern Light pictures .
The drive will be up through Sweden and then a stay on the west coast of North Norway , an idyllic place I know well and is ideal for Free California Camping . I’ll be posting more details about this place . I think it’s particularly good because it’s much warmer then yiu might imagine in this spot , the Gulf Stream makes a huge difference. Briefly near there I also intend to hire a village house in a small fishing town , just to clean up properly. This house has 5 double bedrooms and is also in a magnificent location with a simply amazing viewing place for Northern Lights , it’s at 68 lattitude, that’s right under the lights , as you see in the pictures .

I know a good few locals in the village and I’m sure we will be made welcome . Then a move up to the North cape with more free camping . Finally down into Finland to stay near Ivalo near the Russian border . its much colder in Finland so I will hire a very comfortable large 4 bed cabin with a large sauna , I belong to the club there and I have about an 60% discount on the cabin rates if another is required , they have two to four bedrooms options all ensuite. I will be using the Cali to stay out in whilst waiting for the lights, again I know where is best for viewing. After that straight back down to the South again , with a few well planned stops in nice places.

Does anyone want to join in their own Cali for all or part of this trip ? Costs will not be too high and common costs shared on an equal basis between participants.

Please just register interest with me if you’d like to come along . More details will follow soon , some of these will depend on numbers so I’d like to get a general idea first .

Best wishes

These pictures were taken in the same locations

really interested in this, especially as we just visited Iceland and barely saw the Northern lights :)

Sounds great. We have been considering doing something similar and are interested. I need to have a look at our plans and I will then PM you.

Edit:-

Had a look at plans and spoken to my other half and we are game on.

PM sent.

Mike

Last edited:
Depending on the length of the trip, I would certainly be interested.

really interested in this, especially as we just visited Iceland and barely saw the Northern lights :)
Be great if you came along , for all or part . Although Iceland can get good displays it doesn’t have the perfect location , it’s a little too far South for those displays which happen when there is almost no solar activity . It’s about 64 degrees, whereas Tromsø is 69 , that puts it roughly in between North of Scotland and Tromsø . So you will have a far far better chance on this trip . I have never been and not seen them in this area , although bad weather can persist for some days and then one has to look for breaks in the storm or clouds , which does happen . I don’t find it fun or useful to drive around for hours looking for a gap in the clouds as some tours do , staying put , relaxing and waiting enjoying the nature etc , it’s far better . Eventually the sky goes clear .

Depending on the length of the trip, I would certainly be interested.
Very good Capt Steve , you will be able to join the entire trip or just part of it ...I’ll keep you posted on the details ....

Sounds great. We have been considering doing something similar and are interested. I need to have a look at our plans and I will then PM you.

Edit:-

Had a look at plans and spoken to my other half and we are game on.

PM sent.

Mike
Brilliant....

Very good Capt Steve , you will be able to join the entire trip or just part of it ...I’ll keep you posted on the details ....

Hi Niborn,

I would like to join for as much as I can fit in with my leave. How long do you think the trip will take?

Thanks for opening it up to the members.

Cheers

Steve

Really nice! Just looked at my calendar, and I will only be able to squeeze in a week in September … I guess it is too short, but I really would love to go. As I recall you posted similar last year?

This all is september this year ?
If so , shame as i would love to try and join but not this september...:(

Seems a great trip !

From Iceland :)
db1ac3def5211b50d51d6a08156583ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I would be interested Please add me to the mailing list.

View attachment 29361 View attachment 29359 View attachment 29360 Hi everyone,
I am planning my tour of Lapland at the moment particularly to take pictures of the Northern Lights, which I’ve done 7 times before , each time with improving success and I now know the region well and how to take good pictures of the lights . Although this time will be the first in the Cali.
I’m leaving late autumn probably the middle of September. It’s not too cold , all season tyres will be fine especially if they have the snowflake, just in case . Although snow normally hasn’t fallen at this time . The Equinox is thought to be one of the best times to take Northern Light pictures .
The drive will be up through Sweden and then a stay on the west coast of North Norway , an idyllic place I know well and is ideal for Free California Camping . I’ll be posting more details about this place . I think it’s particularly good because it’s much warmer then yiu might imagine in this spot , the Gulf Stream makes a huge difference. Briefly near there I also intend to hire a village house in a small fishing town , just to clean up properly. This house has 5 double bedrooms and is also in a magnificent location with a simply amazing viewing place for Northern Lights , it’s at 68 lattitude, that’s right under the lights , as you see in the pictures .

I know a good few locals in the village and I’m sure we will be made welcome . Then a move up to the North cape with more free camping . Finally down into Finland to stay near Ivalo near the Russian border . its much colder in Finland so I will hire a very comfortable large 4 bed cabin with a large sauna , I belong to the club there and I have about an 60% discount on the cabin rates if another is required , they have two to four bedrooms options all ensuite. I will be using the Cali to stay out in whilst waiting for the lights, again I know where is best for viewing. After that straight back down to the South again , with a few well planned stops in nice places.

Does anyone want to join in their own Cali for all or part of this trip ? Costs will not be too high and common costs shared on an equal basis between participants.

Please just register interest with me if you’d like to come along . More details will follow soon , some of these will depend on numbers so I’d like to get a general idea first .

Best wishes

These pictures were taken in the same locations
Hi Niborn sounds great . How long do you estimate trip? Not a problem as retired. Sailing to Spanish Rias June for 3 months so later is better for us . Trebor and Caligirl . What lenses do use ? I’ve got a 50mm f1.4G that might be quite good but haven’t tried to photograph the Northern Lights before .

That’s a definite from us Niborn . Just got the OK .

Last edited:
We’re possibly interested too, somewhere I wanted to visit and haven’t yet taken the Cali abroad, so this could be win win :thumb Depends on length and timings with work etc, but add me to the list please! :Stig

Hi Niborn,

I would like to join for as much as I can fit in with my leave. How long do you think the trip will take?

Thanks for opening it up to the members.

Cheers

Steve

Good question Steve and thanks , it’s indeed a pleasure to team up with other members on a trip like this . This isnt of course a short trip and I will make the exact timings shortly .

Meanwhile here is an outline for everybody reading the thread .

The drive up ( and of course back ) is about 38 hours , from Calais, roads won’t be that busy but I think I’ll take my time . Not everyone will need to do that but I’d be happy to go in Convoy , I’ll be leaving from South of France and driving through the google maps route , probably , picking some decent places to stop over hopefully .

The first real ‘team up spot ‘ if people don’t travel up together will be in region of Troms , west of Tromsø , on or week or so after equinox, which is 23rd Sept.

It’s optional just how long people take here ( some may arrive later than others ) , but myself I’ll plan for at least a week, probably a bit more , stay in Troms , leaving for the next leg of the trip around 7th or 9th Oct . There is a lovely camping area in a stunning location it’s Free , nice toilets apparently but no shower , although this place it depends on numbers...only 6 motorhomes are officially allowed there , .so I’m also looking at other options nearby with the benefit of use of a shower etc . Perhaps a rented house to use as a base for us all and also using the Cali’s for accommodation on top Its not very cold that time of year around this area. Of course there are some traditional camping places, but they are not in the best locations for the lights .

After Troms there will be a bit of travelling in far North Lapland , it’s lovely but for some the actual North Cape is a bit of a disappointment, not so much to see , it’s rather like lands end , so if we do that leg , we won’t hang around . Troms is much more scenic and it has great viewing places etc . Tromso is also a nice city , do it’s worth focusing more in this region .

Then we will travel to a place just South of Ivalo , Saariselkä. It’s colder here and I’m organising the Cabins which provide a very comfy base to go out from for viewing the lights from our warm Cali’s . Subject to confirmation tomorrow from the resort I’m booking Cabins there for a week , probably WC 13th October.

These are 120sq m , 4 bed cabins , big lounge , kitchen and nice Sauna room . All very very clean and high level of quality . Each double room has it own toilet and sink and there are 2 real bathrooms . All linen and towels provided . Probable cost for the week for each couple about £125 . its hugely cheaper than the advertised price , those wanting their own totally private accommodation it’s probably also possible, but the cost will be at least triple if I can fix it and much more if I can’t . There is also a pool and SPA / steam etc on site at extra cost . At the moment I’m reserving 6 double rooms , that’s two cabins and it leaves one room in each free so we have plenty of space, I hate the crowded feeling .

I’m taking two double rooms , there's me and a French couple have already asked to join too , so it leaves of this reservation 4 double rooms . Please let me know what you think about having one of these ASAP

To increase chances of seeing the lights we have to go out and stay out from around 7.30 pm to 1 or 2 am . Near where these cabins are there are some excellent viewing spots , one of them is close to the Russian boarder , near the wilderness hotel , it can be very cold , it’s certainly going to be minus something there at night and a warm Cali is going to be the perfect place to wait and watch from .

On the 2Oth October we drive back , via Sweden , just before the snow really starts a few stopovers on the way back too TBC .

That’s about it for now...but I’ll make a far more exact and easy to read step by step guide shortly with precise details of locations and prices etc.

Best wishes

KEY POINTS

HAVING GOT TO LAPLAND THERE ARE THREE WEEK LONG STAGES TO THIS TOUR , ALSO IT WILL TAKE UP TO A WEEK TO DRIVE THERE AND UP TO A WEEK TO DRIVE BACK . MAX TIME FOR WHOLE TRIP 5 WEEKS MINIMUM 3 IF ONLY DOING ONE STAGE .

1) START DATE IN NORTH NORWAY / TROMS , AT https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvaløya_(Tromsø)

30TH SEPTEMBER TO AROUND 7TH OCTOBER ( I’ll be arriving earlier discuss please if you would like to too - there is some free camping with toilets nearby in a wonderful location )

Ive booked this lodge , LINK BELOW , as a base and the owner has agreed a nice discount and that also some Cali’s can park outside . With the Cali’s who have committed so far the inside is occupied already , I’m checking in the village if we can get some more parking toilet and shower resources .

This village is VERY special and possibly one of the best for viewing the lights on the whole west coast of Norway . You’ll see why when we get there

Here’s the link to the lodge, in the village of Tromvik , it’s apparently where Prince William and Kate went last https://www.vogue.com.au/celebrity/.../news-story/9605c9f05acc33dc9d52ce50bc54d687? ( they apparently stayed at the more expensive of the only two lodges there , we could book that one if we want to triple the budget ...lol )

Here’s the one I’ve booked , it has 5 rooms and will sleep 8.

It will be an option to stay in the Cali or the house .

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/20054099

2) TOURING NORTH LAPLAND TO NORTH CAPE 7TH TO 13TH OCTOBER
PROBABLE STOPS IN LYNGEN, ALTA , NORTH CAPE

3.5 hours drive away a place as a base again , use the Cali or simple cabins for facilities . It’s extremely good value by Norwegian standards .

https://www.booking.com/hotel/no/hi...53e36b;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

3 hours drive away , here you can use just the camping or a cabin .

https://www.booking.com/hotel/no/alta-river-camping-alta.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBGhNiAEDmAEuuAEHyAEN2AED6AEBkgIBeagCAw;sid=52d8003508377579e1ba5b817b44ef5a;all_sr_blocks=138200603_103483334_4_0_0,138200602_103483334_4_0_0,138200604_103483334_4_0_0;checkin=2018-10-09;checkout=2018-10-10;dest_id=6168266;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=12;group_children=0;hapos=1;highlighted_blocks=138200603_103483334_4_0_0,138200604_103483334_4_0_0,138200602_103483334_4_0_0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=12;req_children=0;room1=A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A;sb_price_type=total;srepoch=1516817321;srfid=ac2587885ba7a7bbb5ba2772afc7e450844d5874X1;srpvid=f7547f93eddd00ba;type=total;ucfs=1&

3.5 hours drive away and the famous North Cape base , again simple cabins , stay in the cabins or the Cali and use the cabin facilities.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/no/mi...53e36b;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

4 hours drive , booked a large chalet and cabin , fabulously low prices for excellent location, again use the facilities and stay in Cali or cabin .

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fi/yo...53e36b;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

3) FINISH DATE IN FINLAND / SAARISELKÄ , ARRIVE 13TH OCTOBER DEPART 20 TH OCTOBER

This leg (3) is booked now , 6 double rooms booked , that’s two of these cabins ....but there are just 2 Cali places (two doubles rooms left ) as I’ve recieved several confirmations today .

If anyone wants these places please let me know quickly . £125 for thé week each double room for two people all inclusive of bedding and fully equipped cabin . It’s a great base for the area .

Details here , the cabin is normally 1500 Euro for the week !
https://store.holidayclubresorts.co...g8xOxZpPTzP7isvLuMP6uCg40AcGQH5BoCN0QQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Really nice! Just looked at my calendar, and I will only be able to squeeze in a week in September … I guess it is too short, but I really would love to go. As I recall you posted similar last year?
Yes, that’s right I outlined the idea last year ....well at least your a few hours nearer the destination if yiu could go , but yes it’s a big drive....

Good question Steve and thanks , it’s indeed a pleasure to team up with other members on a trip like this . This isnt of course a short trip and I will make the exact timings shortly .

Meanwhile here is an outline for everybody reading the thread .

The drive up ( and of course back ) is about 38 hours , from Calais, roads won’t be that busy but I think I’ll take my time . Not everyone will need to do that but I’d be happy to go in Convoy , I’ll be leaving from South of France and driving through the google maps route , probably , picking some decent places to stop over hopefully .

The first real ‘team up spot ‘ if people don’t travel up together will be in region of Troms , west of Tromsø , on or week or so after equinox, which is 23rd Sept.

It’s optional just how long people take here ( some may arrive later than others ) , but myself I’ll plan for at least a week, probably a bit more , stay in Troms , leaving for the next leg of the trip around 7th or 9th Oct . There is a lovely camping area in a stunning location it’s Free , nice toilets apparently but no shower , although this place it depends on numbers...only 6 motorhomes are officially allowed there , .so I’m also looking at other options nearby with the benefit of use of a shower etc . Perhaps a rented house to use as a base for us all and also using the Cali’s for accommodation on top Its not very cold that time of year around this area. Of course there are some traditional camping places, but they are not in the best locations for the lights .

After Troms there will be a bit of travelling in far North Lapland , it’s lovely but for some the actual North Cape is a bit of a disappointment, not so much to see , it’s rather like lands end , so if we do that leg , we won’t hang around . Troms is much more scenic and it has great viewing places etc . Tromso is also a nice city , do it’s worth focusing more in this region .

Then we will travel to a place just South of Ivalo , Saariselkä. It’s colder here and I’m organising the Cabins which provide a very comfy base to go out from for viewing the lights from our warm Cali’s . Subject to confirmation tomorrow from the resort I’m booking Cabins there for a week , probably WC 13th October.

These are 120sq m , 4 bed cabins , big lounge , kitchen and nice Sauna room . All very very clean and high level of quality . Each double room has it own toilet and sink and there are 2 real bathrooms . All linen and towels provided . Probable cost for the week for each couple about £125 . its hugely cheaper than the advertised price , those wanting their own totally private accommodation it’s probably also possible, but the cost will be at least triple if I can fix it and much more if I can’t . There is also a pool and SPA / steam etc on site at extra cost . At the moment I’m reserving 6 double rooms , that’s two cabins and it leaves one room in each free so we have plenty of space, I hate the crowded feeling .

I’m taking two double rooms , there's me and a French couple have already asked to join too , so it leaves of this reservation 4 double rooms . Please let me know what you think about having one of these ASAP

To increase chances of seeing the lights we have to go out and stay out from around 7.30 pm to 1 or 2 am . Near where these cabins are there are some excellent viewing spots , one of them is close to the Russian boarder , near the wilderness hotel , it can be very cold , it’s certainly going to be minus something there at night and a warm Cali is going to be the perfect place to wait and watch from .

On the 2Oth October we drive back , via Sweden , just before the snow really starts a few stopovers on the way back too TBC .

That’s about it for now...but I’ll make a far more exact and easy to read step by step guide shortly with precise details of locations and prices etc.

Best wishes

KEY POINTS

HAVING GOT TO LAPLAND THERE ARE THREE WEEK LONG STAGES TO THIS TOUR , ALSO IT WILL TAKE UP TO A WEEK TO DRIVE THERE AND UP TO A WEEK TO DRIVE BACK . MAX TIME FOR WHOLE TRIP 5 WEEKS MINIMUM 3 IF ONLY DOING ONE STAGE .

1) START DATE IN NORTH NORWAY / TROMS , AT EXACT LOCATION TBC , FROM 30TH SEPTEMBER TO AROUND 7TH OCTOBER ( I’ll be arriving earlier discuss please if you would like to too)

2) TOURING NORTH LAPLAND TO NORTH CAPE 7TH TO 13TH OCTOBER
PROBABLE STOPS IN LYNGEN, ALTA , NORTH CAPE

3) FINISH DATE IN FINLAND / SAARISELKÄ , ARRIVE 13TH OCTOBER DEPART 20 TH OCTOBER

Morning Niborn . Have just discussed with Caligirl and we would like to do the whole trip . We would like to book a double room in all cabins / accommodation arranged .Am happy to pay deposits when booked . I don’t think we’ve met before . We’re based In Bournemouth. Where are you ?

Morning Niborn . Have just discussed with Caligirl and we would like to do the whole trip . We would like to book a double room in all cabins / accommodation arranged .Am happy to pay deposits when booked . I don’t think we’ve met before . We’re based In Bournemouth. Where are you ?

Hi Trebor, Had a long chat with + Niborn, Robin, this morning and the trip will be an amazing experience. I confirm that we are also in for the whole trip. Obviously lots to arrange and fabulous that Robin has floated this out to the group.
Looks like we already have a committed group which will make bookings smoother for Robin.
Very exciting
We are in Bristol and happy to join up with others in the U.K. for the trip.

Mike & Jane

Brilliant , I have sent a PM and now with T6 CFO that makes 3 Calis so far ....I think we can expect more ? right now though 8 people so far and one dog as I have a couple joining me on route ......I am normally in Faversham , but at this moment in France :)

Back