Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Lapland and Northern Lights Trip / Meet for 2018

Hi Trebor, Had a long chat with + Niborn, Robin, this morning and the trip will be an amazing experience. I confirm that we are also in for the whole trip. Obviously lots to arrange and fabulous that Robin has floated this out to the group.
Looks like we already have a committed group which will make bookings smoother for Robin.
Very exciting
We are in Bristol and happy to join up with others in the U.K. for the trip.

Mike & Jane
T6 CFO Thanks for your note . We’re out tonight but will reply tomorrow . Looking forward to it .

Hi niborn
It really looks a brilliant trip,we really would like to come but are in southern Spain until 10th October,you have given us food for thought, we are in for 2019!

Now, that is what you call a trip :cheers . All the best all travelling. Will be watching this thread with interest.
Someone should make a blog , that would be great, although I’m not very good at blogging myself .. sure we will have some lovely experiences to share ....

We are interested in this trip
Yes. I would be interested Please add me to the mailing list.
Here are the lastest details

Good morning ..... here’s a update ...

1. Updated schedule, still possible to vary second leg ....toying with the idea of adding a little time in Lofoten on the way up , it’s doable I think ?
    1. KEY POINTS

HAVING GOT TO LAPLAND THERE ARE THREE WEEK LONG STAGES TO THIS TOUR , ALSO IT WILL TAKE UP TO A WEEK TO DRIVE THERE AND UP TO A WEEK TO DRIVE BACK . MAX TIME FOR WHOLE TRIP 5 WEEKS MINIMUM 3 IF ONLY DOING ONE STAGE .

1) START DATE IN NORTH NORWAY / TROMS , AT https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvaløya_(Tromsø)

30TH SEPTEMBER TO AROUND 7TH OCTOBER ( I’ll be arriving earlier discuss please if you would like to too - there is some free camping with toilets nearby in a wonderful location )

Ive booked this lodge , LINK BELOW , as a base and the owner has agreed a nice discount and that also some Cali’s can park outside . With the Cali’s who have committed so far the inside is occupied already , I’m checking in the village if we can get some more parking toilet and shower resources .

This village is VERY special and possibly one of the best for viewing the lights on the whole west coast of Norway . You’ll see why when we get there

Here’s the link to the lodge, in the village of Tromvik , it’s apparently where Prince William and Kate went last https://www.vogue.com.au/celebrity/.../news-story/9605c9f05acc33dc9d52ce50bc54d687? ( they apparently stayed at the more expensive of the only two lodges there , we could book that one if we want to triple the budget ...lol )

Here’s the one I’ve booked , it has 5 rooms and will sleep 8.

It will be an option to stay in the Cali or the house .

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/20054099

From here it’s possible to visit Tromso too

2) TOURING NORTH LAPLAND TO NORTH CAPE 7TH TO 13TH OCTOBER
      PROBABLE STOPS IN LYNGEN, ALTA , NORTH CAPE

3.5 hours drive away a place as a base again , use the Cali or simple cabins for facilities . It’s extremely good value by Norwegian standards .

https://www.booking.com/hotel/no/hi...53e36b;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

3 hours drive away , here you can use just the camping or a cabin .

https://www.booking.com/hotel/no/alta-river-camping-alta.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBGhNiAEDmAEuuAEHyAEN2AED6AEBkgIBeagCAw;sid=52d8003508377579e1ba5b817b44ef5a;all_sr_blocks=138200603_103483334_4_0_0,138200602_103483334_4_0_0,138200604_103483334_4_0_0;checkin=2018-10-09;checkout=2018-10-10;dest_id=6168266;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=12;group_children=0;hapos=1;highlighted_blocks=138200603_103483334_4_0_0,138200604_103483334_4_0_0,138200602_103483334_4_0_0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=12;req_children=0;room1=A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A;sb_price_type=total;srepoch=1516817321;srfid=ac2587885ba7a7bbb5ba2772afc7e450844d5874X1;srpvid=f7547f93eddd00ba;type=total;ucfs=1&

3.5 hours drive away and the famous North Cape base , again simple cabins , stay in the cabins or the Cali and use the cabin facilities.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/no/mi...53e36b;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

4 hours drive , booked a large chalet and cabin , fabulously low prices for excellent location, again use the facilities and stay in Cali or cabin .

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fi/yo...53e36b;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

3) FINISH DATE IN FINLAND / SAARISELKÄ , ARRIVE 13TH OCTOBER DEPART 20 TH OCTOBER

This leg (3) is booked now , 6 double rooms booked , that’s two of these cabins ....but there are just 2 Cali places (two doubles rooms left ) as I’ve recieved several confirmations today .

If anyone wants these places please let me know quickly . £125 for thé week each double room for two people all inclusive of bedding and fully equipped cabin . It’s a great base for the area .

Details here , the cabin is normally 1500 Euro for the week !
      https://store.holidayclubresorts.co...g8xOxZpPTzP7isvLuMP6uCg40AcGQH5BoCN0QQAvD_BwE
    1. Costs of all accommodation facilties , use beds or stay in Cali, in total 3 weeks budget around £500 to £600 each couple unless you want to upgrade at any stage .... I’ll detail the costs very soon , so far I’ve only paid for 2 x 4 bed Cabins in Finland ...all the costs are based on sharing the facilities between 10 although we’ve got 7 so far committed, maybe 9 for part of the trip .....
  2. All comments very encouraged and welcome

Very best

Fabulous. Will have a detailed look later.

I’m happy to do the blog.

Mike

I’ve been thinking about the communications on this trip and it’s something I’m happy to coordinate.

On a cycling trip across France we formed a Whatsapp group. It’s just a case of adding everyone to a group including partners etc who are not going. Anyone on the group can then contribute and upload pictures. Very easy and great for on the fly postings that everyone can view to coordinate arrivals, delays etc.

In addition we can have a blog which I can update.

https://northernlightstrip.blogspot.co.uk

Mike

Brilliant, I love WhatsApp , we can form a mini management committee , will make my life much easier and the trip much better ... I can just concentrate on the places i know , guidance in seeing the the lights and for those interested in it the photography of the lights ...I think we have all got rather newer vehicles so we won’t hopefully breakdown but then maybe someone can be Cali tech advisor too ? Ive spent most of my life in planning etc , so can hardly change a wheel ....

Good stuff.

I will create a Whatsapp group later today.

So far I have @Niborn and @Trebor.
Us three are also in the PM group conversation.

Anyone else want adding to these groups just drop me a PM

That also applies to any phone numbers you want included to the Whatsapp group including partners etc.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

View attachment 29361 View attachment 29359 View attachment 29360 Hi everyone,
I am planning my tour of Lapland at the moment particularly to take pictures of the Northern Lights, which I’ve done 7 times before , each time with improving success and I now know the region well and how to take good pictures of the lights . Although this time will be the first in the Cali.
I’m leaving late autumn probably the middle of September. It’s not too cold , all season tyres will be fine especially if they have the snowflake, just in case . Although snow normally hasn’t fallen at this time . The Equinox is thought to be one of the best times to take Northern Light pictures .
The drive will be up through Sweden and then a stay on the west coast of North Norway , an idyllic place I know well and is ideal for Free California Camping . I’ll be posting more details about this place . I think it’s particularly good because it’s much warmer then yiu might imagine in this spot , the Gulf Stream makes a huge difference. Briefly near there I also intend to hire a village house in a small fishing town , just to clean up properly. This house has 5 double bedrooms and is also in a magnificent location with a simply amazing viewing place for Northern Lights , it’s at 68 lattitude, that’s right under the lights , as you see in the pictures .

I know a good few locals in the village and I’m sure we will be made welcome . Then a move up to the North cape with more free camping . Finally down into Finland to stay near Ivalo near the Russian border . its much colder in Finland so I will hire a very comfortable large 4 bed cabin with a large sauna , I belong to the club there and I have about an 60% discount on the cabin rates if another is required , they have two to four bedrooms options all ensuite. I will be using the Cali to stay out in whilst waiting for the lights, again I know where is best for viewing. After that straight back down to the South again , with a few well planned stops in nice places.

Does anyone want to join in their own Cali for all or part of this trip ? Costs will not be too high and common costs shared on an equal basis between participants.

Please just register interest with me if you’d like to come along . More details will follow soon , some of these will depend on numbers so I’d like to get a general idea first .

Best wishes

These pictures were taken in the same locations
I

This trip has so much appeal! Unfortunate that we are not able to take days off that time of the year.

Have checked and unfortunately won’t be able to make this trip after all, shame as the itinerary sounds great! Make sure you post lots of photos when you get back! :thumb

I was working this week but spotted this earlier in the week. We have long wanted to see the Northern Lights.

Have now discussed this with Liz and we want to come on the trip. I will PM Mike for the WhatsAp group details.

Liz and Alan

We look like to join you on this trip. Do you still have any places left?

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime this. I'm back in the UK until October the 11th but it would have been good to tag along at some point. Be aware some of the roads might a little dodgy that far north in October so I'd take some good winter tyres at least. I know a few good routes on the way up too around that take you away from some boring bits of the E6 in Norway too.

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

We look like to join you on this trip. Do you still have any places left?

Hi Jukebox , thanks for the message - yes at this moment we probably do - are you up for all legs of the trip ? Some are also joining for the drive up , which may stop also in the Lofoten islands ...tbc .

In Tromvik we may have one spare room left in the house we have hired ...We are waiting to hear about one other who expressed interest early on , otherwise would you be ok sleeping in the Cali in Tromvik ? ( that’s the first official leg of the trip on the northwest coast of Norway - it won’t be as cold as one might think because of the Gulf Stream, in fact i doubt it will freeze... but sometimes it’s really windy as it’s by the coast ) ... access to toilets and shower just got to be confirmed...Ive got some enquiries going on also about other places which might offer that in the village , one is a kinda of hostel for the staff in fish processing plant :) , better than it sounds , these workers are very very highly paid so the standard is good .

If not it is possible we may still be able to secure some other cabin nearby in the village , Ive got enquiries going on for that too.

The other legs are fine , leg 2 when we are touring using group cabin facilties in different sites and I’ve allowed for a few extra people and can probably still expand on that , we are only NOT sleeping in the Cali’s if the weather is terrible ... because they are mostly 5 sleeper cabins, or in the Cali if it’s OK , more privacy that way , and part 3 in Saariselkä, we’ve got comfy cabins and private bedrooms each with ensuite loo , because in Finland it’s colder , we have a few spaces in these as we booked extra space , the price being so low on the deal we got .

Note if you or anyone else wants their own private cabin each night when we tour it may be possible , we can try and arrange it , but it normally that will triple or quadruple the price each night and Norway is expensive. You have to let me know this ASAP , it’s already getting booked up as these places are not big establishments.

Hope that’s all understandable, but ask any questions...and please let me know what you would like to do ASAP ..as there is a fair amount of interest and eventually we won’t have extra places I’m sure .

Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime this. I'm back in the UK until October the 11th but it would have been good to tag along at some point. Be aware some of the roads might a little dodgy that far north in October so I'd take some good winter tyres at least. I know a few good routes on the way up too around that take you away from some boring bits of the E6 in Norway too.

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Cool picture !

Your the man on the spot and we must listen to your advice , my Norwegian friends on the North west coast have told me that there is unlikely to be much , if any snow and no or very little ice...but that is the west coast , different from inland... I wonder about Finland ....but last time I went in early November the snow had just started and a couple of hours south of Saariselkä there was none.

Looking at the weather history I’m hoping that in all we will just be ahead of the winter but suggest all travellers have the snowflake on their tyres at least . I can’t imagine chains will be needed on main roads , but fail to prepare and prepare to fail I guess .

We are off to Tromso on Monday (not in the Cali) but would be interested in this trip. Time of year suits also. Cannot commit now but will follow thread and update when I can.

We are off to Tromso on Monday (not in the Cali) but would be interested in this trip. Time of year suits also. Cannot commit now but will follow thread and update when I can.
Thanks all noted - Have a great time in Tromso ... where are you staying , is it your first time there ?

Cool picture !

Your the man on the spot and we must listen to your advice , my Norwegian friends on the North west coast have told me that there is unlikely to be much , if any snow and no or very little ice...but that is the west coast , different from inland... I wonder about Finland ....but last time I went in early November the snow had just started and a couple of hours south of Saariselkä there was none.

Looking at the weather history I’m hoping that in all we will just be ahead of the winter but suggest all travellers have the snowflake on their tyres at least . I can’t imagine chains will be needed on main roads , but fail to prepare and prepare to fail I guess .

Cheers :cheers. Come to think of it, your mate is probably right. I looked back to last year and the year before and we didn't get proper snow till the start of November. It varies too depending on your proximity to the sea. Where we just inland, it can be a lot worse than the like of Bodø right by the sea. The statens vegvessen recommend winter tyres and we are allowed to fit studded rubber from the last week in October.

I've not really driven mine in winter without studded rubber though. I found the hardest conditions to drive in was slush. I almost got stuck on the exposed fjellet near us once in that stuff. Hopefully you should be ok and folk can warn you if it gets bad on your journey up.

What ever the weather, its going to be an awesome trip and you'll get some stunning view and photo opportunities. I'd love to go to Nordkapp but my partner says its crap (she's never been though so I want to make my own mind up :thumb)

Thanks all noted - Have a great time in Tromso ... where are you staying , is it your first time there ?
Hotel - Radisson Blu - just a few days.

That’s nice and central... if you haven’t been before and want to see the lights get out of town and away from the city lights ... hiring a car even for a day is a good option , they will have studded tyres ... suggest you head west towards tromvik and get a clear view to the north / west not obstructed by mountain...apologies if you know all this , in my opinion car hire is a better bet then a northern light tour , these tend to be very costly and noisy , missing the beauty of the silence of the lights ...

Next few days lights might be good if yiu get a clear sky ...

GEOMAGNETIC UNREST: The sun is leaking solar wind from a peppering of small coronal holes now facing Earth. The resulting breeze of electrified plasma, blowing ~450 km/s, is causing geomagnetic unrest around our planet's poles. Arctic sky watchers should be alert for intermittent auroras mixed with waxing moonlight on Jan. 27th.

Back