Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brave or stupid?

I am at present trying to find a way of running an iPod dock off a 12v supply which should work. Just have to make sure the polarity is correct. Maplins have some very handy ready made leads. VW aren't able to remove the auto cut off on the cab radio, but did agree that it was a bit silly to have a stereo that you couldn't fully use with the vehicle stationary. They said that if it was recoded it would constantly come up as a fault each time it was checked. 2 weeks and 3½ days now.

I know it seems silly that the stereo cuts off after 30 mins. But if you have the RNS 510 SatNav then the unit is more like a mini computer than just a radio and the whole unit boots up when switched on and uses some power which comes from the Engine Starter battery which can soon get flattened. You could get it wired to the Leisure batteries but it would still switch off after 30 mins as that is a CanBus function. Most people use a standalone music player of some sort run off 12V.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it seems silly that the stereo cuts off after 30 mins. But if you have the RNS 510 SatNav then the unit is more like a mini computer than just a radio and the whole unit boots up when switched on and uses some power which comes from the Engine Starter battery which can soon get flattened. You could get it wired to the Leisure batteries but it would still switch off after 30 mins as that is a CanBus function. Most people use a standalone music player of some sort run off 12V.

Thanks for this WelshGas. I was hoping there was some flexibility in the wiring system. I have a stand alone SatNav and thus only want a radio in the Cali. With all the speakers, etc in there it seems a bit of a waste to have to bring a stand alone iPod dock for music.
I have managed to find the adaptors and lead that I needed to get it to work off the leisure batteries. The iPod dock is either mains power or 6 x AA batteries, but the mains is stepped down to 12v DC. The manufacturer was no help. Why is everything so complicated now?
I'm a simple soul. I like to see what is happening, probably why I like steam. Bit of coal, some water, some heat. Simples.

Last edited by a moderator: