Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED lights or Discover Media navigation DAB+ system

Richi

Richi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all

We ordered our Cali Beach Camper at the end of September. At the time of order we went for extra specs compare to basic Beach. One of them which I considered was Discover media navigation dab+ system. That time I was sure that we need in built sat nav. So I ticked it in our order. Another option which I had in my head was to go for LED lights. But my budget was already stretched with another specs. Since September it came back few times to consider LED lights again. But only option for me is to cancel Discover media navigation and go for LED lights. As we don’t have confirmed build week yet is still time to do it. I just need some more opinions about it. Do we really need discover media+satnav? Or is enough to have just standard dab+ radio system and use apple play? I really like LED lights as they are brighter and Cali looks much better with them. That’s another question how good are standard lights on Beach T6.1!? I hope some of you guys give some idea what should I do. My own decision is almost always wrong.

I have both on my Ocean. The larger nav screen fills the dash better and looks cleaner without buttons (there are still always visible power, volume and home haptic buttons). It also allows the sat nav route to be displayed on the digital dash (even if your passenger is eg. faffing with music). That said, the sat navs ability to see congestion and re-route is inferior to google maps in my view. I am tending to use Google more often as a result. I would say the Media Pro is therefore a dispensable nice to have, whereas if you’re going to be driving on unlit roads at night, the LED lights are a brilliant upgrade

Last edited:
I would go for the lights if you are happy with the standard screen on the dash. So many free sat nav options out there that get the job done. Apple CarPlay is brilliant really. My only complaint is mine is not bluetooth so I have to plug the phone in.
That said, it forces me to charge the phone at least twice a day and I have never felt any premature phone battery deterioration. Where as my other half and daughter find their phones flat almost daily.
Completely off topic now but its hilarious to see them squabble if one has some battery left and they pinch that one from each other depending whose died first.

I agree with both of the replies above. I have the larger screen in our 6.1 but now use Google Maps all the time. The VW sat nav is inferior.

The led headlights are amazing. I would go for the lights over the sat nav.

If you have the remotest chance of driving in the dark, LED lights all the way. Had no choice on the spec for my beach as it was in the dealers already but it had LED lights and doesn’t have the larger screen. I use CarPlay and have never looked back.

I'd agree with the above, go for the lights. Google maps through android auto/apple carplay is much superior than the VW nav

Go for LED lights & just upgrade to a non VW stereo after delivery with wireless carplay; it will then mirror your phone on the headunit giving you access to Waze, google, WhatsApp, Spotify, Siri etc.

We have the Discover Nav on ours (non choice) and son has LED lights on his T6 Combi......... Having used both I would rather drive his van in the dark and use Apple CarPlay with Google Maps.

The bigger screen is nice to have but quite frankly the VW nav is poor compared to Google (or TomTom which I prefer but my iPhone is so old it won’t run that one :()

So I’d say get the LED’s :)

Go for LED lights & just upgrade to a non VW stereo after delivery with wireless carplay; it will then mirror your phone on the headunit giving you access to Waze, google, WhatsApp, Spotify, Siri etc.
Android Auto and Apple Carplay should be standard in the 6.1 Coast so shouldn't need to go aftermarket route. :thumb

Android Auto and Apple Carplay should be standard in the 6.1 Coast so shouldn't need to go aftermarket route. :thumb
Good to hear that VW have finally moved with the times and provided wireless carplay as standard.

Not sure it's wireless TBH, I've only ever used the USB with mine...
Pro is wireless and I’m pretty sure standard is too

Android Auto requires wired connection. Not sure about Apple.

Reactions: Sad
One of the most common complaints about the VW Transporters incl Californias is the poor headlights which leads to getting the LED ones being virtually a must have.

One of the most common complaints about the VW Transporters incl Californias is the poor headlights which leads to getting the LED ones being virtually a must have.
I personally don't have any issue with the H7s, but I can absolutely understand the difference LEDs can make. They were just out of our price range at time or ordering...

I personally don't have any issue with the H7s, but I can absolutely understand the difference LEDs can make. They were just out of our price range at time or ordering...
Beach used to have H4's--still do?

Same issue with LED's when I ordered as were best part of £2K then.
Osram +200% bulbs help though.

Reactions: Sad
Thanks a lot for all your advices and opinions so far about my dilemma. It looks like most of you would go for LED lights instead of discover media sat nav. I used to use google maps before we bought car with built in sat nav and it worked well for me. And that was almost 5 years ago. These days there are more options for online satnavs or maps on our phones.

We have the Discover Nav on ours (non choice) and son has LED lights on his T6 Combi......... Having used both I would rather drive his van in the dark and use Apple CarPlay with Google Maps.

The bigger screen is nice to have but quite frankly the VW nav is poor compared to Google (or TomTom which I prefer but my iPhone is so old it won’t run that one :()

So I’d say get the LED’s :)

Thanks to let me know.

Never used VW sat nav so I have no idea how good or poor they are. Have built in sat nav on our volvo xc60 and that is working perfect. No issues at all.

If you have the remotest chance of driving in the dark, LED lights all the way. Had no choice on the spec for my beach as it was in the dealers already but it had LED lights and doesn’t have the larger screen. I use CarPlay and have never looked back.

We drive in dark quite often on motorways or even on countryside roads. LED lights should be no brainer for us I suppose.

Wireless is great as you don’t lose the satnav when your partner/kids decide to commandeer the USB for charging purposes!

I think there is more than enough USB ports in T6.1. Shouln’t be a problem to charge another phone or tablet.

My Cali has Xenon lights which were an option and which I find quite satisfactory.
Presumably not an option anymore?

I think will be same with with Apple. I don’t mind to have extra cable in the car for my phone to be connected.
The Discover system can work wirelessly when using Apple (dunno about standard) but I find the slight lag irritating and also odd interference now and then so I always use the usb cable anyway……. And it keeps phone charged of course :)

Back