Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Lights - Worth the extra?

Well worth it, the headlights are very good and its also worth thinking about the Main Beam Assist to go with them.

I have both of those options and pleased that I ticked both boxes. LED lights are worth it if you can afford them and will be driving in the dark. LEDs have a nice wide field of view, you can see a long way into the distance and to the side. The assist works well to, just as I think I better switch from main beam they have already done so.

So far there is not an option I have spec'd that I believe was not worth it for how we use it.

I would have liked a larger tank but didn't see that as an option when I bought them.

... message ends

Husband uses our Ocean as daily drive. Goes to work in the dark & returns home in the dark. Narrow dark country lanes aren't fun with poor lights. In fact dangerous.
We live on Dartmoor . Still finding it difficult to locate bulbs for the T6 Ocean, fine if it was T5.

Not on face book but will contact local VW centre
You should find this supplier has a solution for bulbs. Not the cheapest but may be worth contacting for advice.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-55w-headlight-bulbs//

Decades ago I got a pair of 75watt assymetric dip for my Cortina Mk1 when going to Germany, these were brilliant as I didn't need to do anything to the dip pattern for UK or Europe. Made by Lucas but seem to have gone as a product.
point being that they were 75watt. I see you can get 80watt now (legal???) There are 100watt available but besides being illegal I'd be worried about the heat generated in plastic lens.

You should find this supplier has a solution for bulbs. Not the cheapest but may be worth contacting for advice.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-55w-headlight-bulbs//

Decades ago I got a pair of 75watt assymetric dip for my Cortina Mk1 when going to Germany, these were brilliant as I didn't need to do anything to the dip pattern for UK or Europe. Made by Lucas but seem to have gone as a product.
point being that they were 75watt. I see you can get 80watt now (legal???) There are 100watt available but besides being illegal I'd be worried about the heat generated in plastic lens.
55w is the Legal, on public roads, maximum for the UK and EU.

Thanks for the great replies guys. Food for thought, they sound good, it will just be a case of if the budget will stretch once I've added on all the other goodies!

55w is the Legal, on public roads, maximum for the UK and EU.
Not sure if that's correct H4's are 60/xx rated and HGV's have 70watt bulbs.
I've done a bit of searching and can't find an answer other than the wiring on most vehicles is so thin now that increasing the wattage (and current flow) would probably burn out the wiring.
Also found info on people who had asked VOSA previously for clarification but they didn't have a limit.

Has anyone found any H4 bulbs that they do find have a made a significant difference - most of the ones I have seen are indicating about half the life of a standard bulb and I would want to be sure of a significant improvement for that reduction in life. Any recommendations out there?

I've done a bit of searching and can't find an answer other than the wiring on most vehicles is so thin now that increasing the wattage (and current flow) would probably burn out the wiring.
Also found info on people who had asked VOSA previously for clarification but they didn't have a limit.
In my younger days I put 100w bulbs in my Discovery but it did melt the connection in the bulb holder. Not recommended.

A much cheaper solution is to fit a led ramp after delivery then you got a really god headlight.
Screenshot_20170103-184338.png

How it that wired in. Is it high beam only?
Only high beam and it gives a lot of light but I have no idea how it is wired, the VW dealer did the installation for a total cost for around 500€.

A late extra and worth every penny. The only downside is that you will be flashed at.

Expensive but worth it. Driving at night is a new experience compared to our Kombi

Has anyone found any H4 bulbs that they do find have a made a significant difference - most of the ones I have seen are indicating about half the life of a standard bulb and I would want to be sure of a significant improvement for that reduction in life. Any recommendations out there?
I've previously used Phillips upgrade bulbs which were still OK a few years on when I sold the cars with bulbs still fitted. Only about ÂŁ20 a pair.

Looking around various forums this light issue pops up on all makes and quite a common answer seems to be low voltage at the actual bulb. Remedy being to replace headlight wiring with heavier duty cable where possible.
various VW's had this problem a few years ago, has it come back?

A fix that may be adaptable from vwheritage to suit H4 lights>

www.vwheritage.com/shop/WC941W000/headlight-wiring-loom-upgrade-mk1-2-golf-t4/

Yes you are correct 60/55w.
Apparently only "E" marked bulbs are road legal. Each bulb type H4 or H7 has a specific specification. As long as that specification is met then it can be "E" marked. Actual light output does not seem to be part of that specification but wattage is, hence the 130% brighter bulbs etc: available.

Looking around various forums this light issue pops up on all makes and quite a common answer seems to be low voltage at the actual bulb. Remedy being to replace headlight wiring with heavier duty cable where possible.
various VW's had this problem a few years ago, has it come back?

A fix that may be adaptable from vwheritage to suit H4 lights>

www.vwheritage.com/shop/WC941W000/headlight-wiring-loom-upgrade-mk1-2-golf-t4/
I'm not sure how it would work with the computerisation in the T5/6 vehicles.

ECE Reg 37 is the bible if anyone wants to have a go at clarifying this it'd be appreciated.

http://www.interregs.com/catalogue/...filament-lamps-for-use-in-approved-lamp-units

If more reading required try .
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:42014X0614(02)&from=EN

From what I can see wattage is not mentioned, Lumens are, with 2,000 being the maximum.

Keeping away from HID or LED bulbs unless going for a full legal set up with wash & self levelling is my personal intention.

Last edited:
All this about changing standard fitting light bulbs and altering this and that to compensate seems risky to me!
........ok I'll take the dog for a walk :(

I've just installed some phillips racing vision 150% h4's. The dip beam is now very good, on a par with the xenons on our old octavia or leds on our nissan leaf. However the main beam is still poor. This is a function of a poor reflector design, which isn't going to be fixable without fitting after market light units.

Can't comment on bulb life yet!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

People could slow down a bit and drive within their field of vision then all this bulb / light changing malarky wouldn't be necessary.
Just a thought.

Got my coat on already:(
Need good lights to avoid all the pot holes in my area, nothing to do with speeding. Oh! and the odd deer.

ECE Reg 37 is the bible if anyone wants to have a go at clarifying this it'd be appreciated.

http://www.interregs.com/catalogue/...filament-lamps-for-use-in-approved-lamp-units

If more reading required try .
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:42014X0614(02)&from=EN

From what I can see wattage is not mentioned, Lumens are, with 2,000 being the maximum.

Keeping away from HID or LED bulbs unless going for a full legal set up with wash & self levelling is my personal intention.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_light_bulb_types

Back