Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the beach lights really that bad?

Silver5urfer

Silver5urfer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Standard H4 headlights on my beach are dreadful, barely adequate, I can’t believe that they meet minimum legal requirement. Dipped beam is particularly poor, I sometimes wonder if they are on at all. They are a warm colour (yellow/orange) don’t throw any light up the road making it very difficult to drive at night. Will upgrade bulbs to Phillips racing vision for marginal improvement.
I would gladly pay the £400 to up grade my headlights to the H7s.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Standard H4 headlights on my beach are dreadful, barely adequate, I can’t believe that they meet minimum legal requirement. Dipped beam is particularly poor, I sometimes wonder if they are on at all. They are a warm colour (yellow/orange) don’t throw any light up the road making it very difficult to drive at night. Will upgrade bulbs to Phillips racing vision for marginal improvement.
I would gladly pay the £400 to up grade my headlights to the H7s.
If they are that bad maybe SpecSavers might be a better choice.;)

GreggB

GreggB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Well covered topic I think but my experience of H4’s in my T5’s is poor dip beam and ok main beam. Dip can be noticeably improved with a bulb upgrage, Osram night breakers in the case of my work van. Still not fantastic but I find myself not complaining about them as much. Yet to upgrade the Beach as I was considering a change to H7 twin reflector units or even something aftermarket.

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've the H7s after adding the exterior pack to my Beach..... They work fine for me. I had LED on my previous 2x cars.... They were great, but not worth the extra IMO. Plus, after a small accident on my last car.... A replacement headlight was eyewateringly expensive, an I vowed never again for headlights (I would take them if FoC, or maybe even a reasonable amount, of course.)

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Digging up and old thread...I have only had my 2013 Beach for a couple of months. The lights are awful. I purchased some Philips Racing Vision bulbs to replace the fitted glow worms only to find out there were some already in situ. Great!

I'm now on the trail of aftermarket LED headlight units and will replace both headlights. If anyone has any reasonably priced suggestions, please can they let me know

Thanks

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Digging up and old thread...I have only had my 2013 Beach for a couple of months. The lights are awful. I purchased some Philips Racing Vision bulbs to replace the fitted glow worms only to find out there were some already in situ. Great!

I'm now on the trail of aftermarket LED headlight units and will replace both headlights. If anyone has any reasonably priced suggestions, please can they let me know

Thanks
Hopefully Loz or someone may assist but I think it is not a simple upgrade to LED. Maybe source used H7 units might be easier.

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hopefully Loz or someone may assist but I think it is not a simple upgrade to LED. Maybe source used H7 units might be easier.
That may well be the right way to go. I'm open to suggestions and have started emailing a few suppliers to see what will fit. Looks like LED DRL's with H1/H7's are available

cbdubs

cbdubs

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I have the HID LED DRL lights and they are brilliant(!) on dip and main beams. My van is a dealer demo Transporter Highline so I didn't spec them but they are good. I am dreading having to replace one if they damaged as the cost is phenomenal.

My mate has just upgraded his headlights on his T6 after buying new units off ebay and they are an improvement which is a surprise considering they are aftermarket and not genuine. Think they cost him around £600 for the pair.

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I've just ordered some new aftermarket headlight units. Asked a couple of friends what they have used and have gone the H1/H7 with LED DRL and sequential indicator route from TransporterHQ.

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've just ordered some new aftermarket headlight units. Asked a couple of friends what they have used and have gone the H1/H7 with LED DRL and sequential indicator route from TransporterHQ.
Let us know how you get on and photo's please. Sounds good:thumb

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
How do you know what type of lamp is fitted when buying 2nd hand? Apart from the Leds are obvious leds

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
How do you know what type of lamp is fitted when buying 2nd hand? Apart from the Leds are obvious leds
Lift the bonnet up. Pull the rubber boot off the back of the appropriate headlight unit. Push the bulb retainer clip downwards until it clicks open and then remove the bulb. Takes about a minute

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Genuine Xenons with DRL LEDs come up on said bidding websites from time to time. I picked up a decent pair for an old golf mk5 a few years back. Worth a try.

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Genuine Xenons with DRL LEDs come up on said bidding websites from time to time. I picked up a decent pair for an old golf mk5 a few years back. Worth a try.
You need light washers which involves replacing the bumper which makes it expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JJJ

JJJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yes, they really are that bad.

After a trip to the Lakes, during which the feeble glow from the H4's was totally inadequate, I fitted Philips X-treme Vision +130% bulbs. The replacements are MUCH brighter and cast a white light which eliminates the uncertainty associated with driving at night in candlelight.

At £19.99 a pair it's a low cost upgrade and life expectancy is 400 - 450 hours. I ordered a second set today as spares so as not to be caught without when they eventually fail.

Just to add that, despite reports on here and other forums, I found the bulbs easy to replace without removing the battery cover or air box. An articulated inspection mirror made the job much easier and now has a home in the glove compartment.

Last edited:
flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Tha
Lift the bonnet up. Pull the rubber boot off the back of the appropriate headlight unit. Push the bulb retainer clip downwards until it clicks open and then remove the bulb. Takes about a minute
Thanks. So you have to take the bulb out and look at it.

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Couldn’t you just look at the light (from outside the van) with dip beam on and then full beam and check they are separate reflectors within the lamp unit (both being lit on full beam)?

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Couldn’t you just look at the light (from outside the van) with dip beam on and then full beam and check they are separate reflectors within the lamp unit (both being lit on full beam)?
That wont tell you what make the bulbs are.