Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LEDs

Yes, interesting isn't it. I put in the LED replacements after having the oe bulb fail on two occasions- I think due to shocks when shutting the tailgate. On neither occasion did the indicator show a bulb failure so I had wrongly assumed that these bulbs were not monitored!

I know this is a slightly old thread, but we've had a dashboard warning come on and it relates to the number plate light. The garage checked the bulb and it was fine. The warning disappeared but came back on now and then. Tonight, neither light on the number plate is working. Any ideas?

have you tried replacing the bulbs?

Be careful Fred, in order to pass the MOT, HiD lights now have to have a working washer system and be self leveling.

This is all possible at a cost. Have a look at the Hazzy Dayz site.

http://tinyurl.com/ohldhvp

Alan
Been looking at various aftermarket options for lighting including some of the new light bar units with shark eye headlamps. These appear to be available with both LED bulbs and HID, depending on where you look (e.g. Travelin Lite). I was concerned therefore when I read this thread and apparent MOT guidance re: HID and LED. Unless I've misread the guide, all it says is that where a self levelling and/or pressure washer system is fitted then it must work - it doesn't say you have to have these fitted when you have HID/LED lights!? I'm still in the market for a headlamp upgrade as the standard lights are pish. Tried some of the CREE LED H15 variants and whilst ok to look at, the beam pattern was useless and worse than the original halogen. As someone else pointed out many of the cheapo LEDs have multiple/composite light sources that aren't compatible with the OEM reflectors. You just end up with badly scattered (albeit bright white) light. Anyone found a good looking and high output solution yet???

You are certainly right that the official document on the web states that if fitted the self leveling and washer system must work. I was told the regs had changed and these items were now a must, but maybe that was hearsay and not fact.

Sorry I misled you.

Alan

Hey no worries Alan. I'd be surprised given the market in aftermarket (too many markets in this sentence) HID kits. As they say on The Apprentice, 'the search continues' :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a loan T6 Combie van with LED headlights last week. Was very impressed with those.

Alan

Oh the UK and it's rules.....

Think on this, here in dear old Portugal any motor bike up to 125cc never needs an MOT. Any above that cc do, it's the LAW. However, no vehicle testing place has the equipment or formula for carrying out the test, hence no bike is ever tested, only in the EU !

Hi All

I recently went too my first Dub event - Dorset Dub Fest... Great fun event, very friendly and a number of compliments for 'Ruby' in particular the Deep Wood colour - much to Mrs Ms annoyance as she really dislikes the colour - it's all i could get and I 'now' like it...

Anyway I saw a pop top with multi colour multi effect LEDs fitted under the lip of the roof... Maybe not very 'Cali' but for events like this I like it... Having been looking at LEDs and think that the wiring can be done relatively easily...

Anyone done it to there's, thoughts? comments and views?

Matt
I have the fitted in my kitchen as under cabinet lighting, we've put them in a suspended ceiling at my brothers and even had some in the poptop of a t25. Generally they are 12v and come with a remote. Very easy to fit once you work out where to route the cables that is.

That said there are different grades of LED strips. For example the maplin ones have the LEDs in one spot so the quality of the light is great. The cheaper ones have separate LEDS which means they look fine if out of view but if in view will look like disco lights rather than whatever colour you set them to.

p.s. I think the original poster was on about this kind of thing:

wattage-range-instyle-led-tape-small.jpg

Back