Leisure battery...again

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
77F35CFD-05DD-48C2-8AD5-CD419015A950.jpeg

Sorry if this has been done to death before, but I am new.
I have just bought a used Cali (2011 SE) I suspect the leisure batteries are worn out and are not holding a charge.
After charging via the hook up for over 12 hours and plenty of driving about, they charge to 100% however after a couple of minutes, they drop down 60% where they stay.

I’ve read all the posts I can about changing them etc. My question is...

I’d like to take them out of the van, to get them properly tested, is it ok to still drive the van with them disconnect and removed.

I’d like to take them out of the van, to get them properly tested, is it ok to still drive the van with them disconnect and removed.
As long as you either remove the supply fuse or pull out the split charge relay.
Ensure you follow the correct disconnection steps so as not to have any problems. Also once the rear battery is removed check the Cube fuse.

FE4FEB6B-27DC-47ED-9A39-8A95D2F2941B.jpeg 2E44AADD-A9AC-4685-8244-D5438B59A0FC.jpeg

Batteries are out. Easy job thanks to the forum.
Cube fuse seems ok
Batteries are Varta, it’s a 2011 van, no idea how old the batteries are. Going to get them properly tested tomorrow.

For the love of god wrap the positive cables in tape!!!! They are live when you’re driving. If they touch the metal of the body it will get messy.

You're right. I better test it with the multimeter.

For the love of god wrap the positive cables in tape!!!! They are live when you’re driving. If they touch the metal of the body it will get messy.
Fuse is out, and I took the tape off to take the picture. I’ve been very careful.

D3B225BB-DEF4-466A-9667-F6EB25B8FB6A.jpeg
Have you electrically tested the cube fuse? Looks discoloured to me.

You were right. Tested it with multimeter and it was blown. When I took it off the lead it fell apart.

Where can I get one from?

View attachment 39158

You were right. Tested it with multimeter and it was blown. When I took it off the lead it fell apart.
Thought as much, now the question is, did you blow it disconnecting the passenger seat battery, or has it been blown for some time?

Did you disconnect the rear battery negative first, then the passenger battery negative second? Then the 2 positive leads?

I took the passenger one out first. Damn.
I hate electrics.

If this is the fuse in question, removing it won’t deaden the supply whilst driving.

You’ll need to pull this one.

8CB60186-2FCB-4EA8-91A7-2AFC8974B845.jpeg

Thank you. I've also wrapped all the positives in lots of insulation tape, just in case.

My plan to put batteries back in, copied from one of Loz's previous posts.

"swap rear battery and fit only the positive
then swap the under seat battery and connect the positive then negative
finally fit the negative on the rear battery and slide back in."

What’s the correct current rating for the cube fuse?

Local VW parts guy says part number (7H7 937 629) indicates 50A, whereas the one I’ve took off is 75A?
Originally 50amps, but I believe VW have upgraded it to 75amps.

I was looking to see if there was a fuse in the coil side of the split charge but it’s fed direct from the control unit. I don’t know if this monitors battery voltage/presence and isolates the split charge in the event batteries are removed. I would care to rely on it!

I was looking to see if there was a fuse in the coil side of the split charge but it’s fed direct from the control unit. I don’t know if this monitors battery voltage/presence and isolates the split charge in the event batteries are removed. I would care to rely on it!
no fuse, its BCU controlled and closes when the engine is running, but the earlier Cali's have a plug in 100A relay that can be pulled out and the newer ones with the larger 150A relay have a plug on the coil side that can be removed..

View attachment 39156 View attachment 39155

Batteries are out. Easy job thanks to the forum.
Cube fuse seems ok
Batteries are Varta, it’s a 2011 van, no idea how old the batteries are. Going to get them properly tested tomorrow.
Those batteries are original and dated 2011, I can't quite make out the month, possibly October?
The date (month and year) is stamped on the top of the -ve terminal in each case.

Alan

Those batteries are original and dated 2011, I can't quite make out the month, possibly October?
The date (month and year) is stamped on the top of the -ve terminal in each case.

Alan

Batteries are original & around 7 years old-ish.
Worth changing after 5 years. That’s the general life cycle of these sorts of batteries