Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery correct?

D

dominichayhoe

Vehicle
Grand California 600
I just took the details off my ‘Leisure Battery’ under the bonnet and it’s markings online show that it is not a leisure battery but a start battery?

A4F19B0A-FB00-4C05-9BDA-F9EC502EEE23.jpeg

AGM batteries are used by VW as leisure batteries, the leisure battery is the same as the starter battery as supplied from the factory.

Seems an odd decision. Leisure batteries don’t need high CA but do need deep cycle which starter batteries don’t have.

I’m not justifying VW decision to fit this battery as a leisure battery, I’m merely answering your question.

I just took the details off my ‘Leisure Battery’ under the bonnet and it’s markings online show that it is not a leisure battery but a start battery?

View attachment 86673
Hi Dominichayhoe,

Yes it is a START battery.... This is what I've found on the VARTA web site:

"VARTA® Silver Dynamic AGM batteries are perfect for advanced start-stop systems in which the battery needs to be quickly recharged through the energy provided by the regenerative braking systems."

Hi Dominichayhoe,

Yes it is a START battery.... This is what I've found on the VARTA web site:

"VARTA® Silver Dynamic AGM batteries are perfect for advanced start-stop systems in which the battery needs to be quickly recharged through the energy provided by the regenerative braking systems."

Maybe they took a proactive decision to go with this as the best compromise, as one that's need for the above purpose and the deep cycling somewhat allowed by the AGM factor.

Thanks for pointing out my grammatical error and putting it in capitals too, I'm sure no one knew that I meant starter as opposed to start.

Maybe they took a proactive decision to go with this as the best compromise, as one that's need for the above purpose and the deep cycling somewhat allowed by the AGM factor.

Thanks for pointing out my grammatical error and putting it in capitals too, I'm sure no one knew that I meant starter as opposed to start.
who am I to correct you, just wanted to point out that it is in effect a battery to start the engine,
You're welcome. :)

According to my local battery importer, the Varta Silver Dynamic AGM short code F21 (start battery) 80AH 800 CCA and the Varta Professional Dual Purpose AGM short code LA80 (leisure battery) 80AH 800 CCA are exactly the same battery sold under different labels…

According to my local battery importer, the Varta Silver Dynamic AGM short code F21 (start battery) 80AH 800 CCA and the Varta Professional Dual Purpose AGM short code LA80 (leisure battery) 80AH 800 CCA are exactly the same battery sold under different labels…
That's nice. That's not the battery I have under my bonnet though. Mine is as per the OP.

That's nice. That's not the battery I have under my bonnet though. Mine is as per the OP.
What battery have you got fitted as the Leisure Battery?

What battery have you got fitted as the Leisure Battery?
He's just told you! same as the OP
On a GC the leisure battery is in the engine bay, & the engine battery is under the seat.

He's just told you! same as the OP
On a GC the leisure battery is in the engine bay, & the engine battery is under the seat.
Sorry meant Engine Battery?
If it follows VWs practice it should be the same.
It seems that the majority of vehicle batteries are now AGM and as with the California LA80, Leisure, and F21, engine , the secs are exactly the same, size,weight and output. The only difference on the Tanya website is the cost and the fact that the more expensive LA80 has a 4 Yr warranty as against 3 yrs for the F21.
On my California, all 3 were the same, LA80s.

Back