Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on installer/equipment and install to charge GC680 Leisure with standalone solar

C

Chainline

VIP Member
I have read around the solar and offgrid threads and plotted LiFePO4 replacement of AGM etc but have concluded two things.
1. I would like to use solar like an Ecoflow/Jackary folding panel to charge the current OEM battery (not great as it is)
2. To go with this, assuming it is not quite enough or I want back up - get a ‘power station’ as not currently brave enough/don’t know I will need to go with wired in inverters and second leisure battery’s

To this end, and not being able to find the thread with the pic of a German van who fitted an (MPPT?) on the battery under the bonnet directly connected to the leisure battery (LifePO4 in his case) and just plugged in his (mobile folding) panels while parked/bonnet closed

Is anyone able to advise me, or recommend a company that could replicate this, what equipment I need to fit a similar accessible solar plug in point (I would like to know what they are, Is it just an MPPT in this case) And where I can fit it (under bonnet or in rear of vehicle) as I have seen lots of clever ‘off grid’ installs with a mass of Victron kit in the garage but the debate can get confusing as it often also centres on Li-Ion battery tech and its impacts.

On the (MPPT or charging interface unit) It is not clear to me if I can fit such a unit in the garage or if this is a good idea (wiring/second leisure battery charging cable specs, all this I understand) but I actually think that given where VW have fitted the leisure battery (right or wrong) an under bonnet next to leisure battery solution allows the van to remain closed and locked yet still benefit from the solar. However I am open to advice here.

Any help/kit list/installer recommendations gratefully accepted before I drop several hundred pounds on some 200 - 400w panels and portable lithium :)

Last edited:
Hi @Chainline I have seen a neat separate install done by Black Magic Engineering. This was installed in @James Isaacs 247 Grand 680.

Think it’s 2 additional AGM batteries in the rear cupboard with a 6000W inverter. Jim would be better to comment if he sees this.

I have read around the solar and offgrid threads and plotted LiFePO4 replacement of AGM etc but have concluded two things.
1. I would like to use solar like an Ecoflow/Jackary flowing panel to charge the current OEM battery 9not great as it is)
2. To go with this, assuming it is not quite enough or I want back up - get a ‘power station’ as not currently brave enough/don’t know I will need to go with wired in inverters and second leisure battery’s

To this end, and not being able to find the thread with the pic of a German van who fitted an (MPPT?) on the battery under the bonnet directly connected to the leisure battery (LifePO4 in his case) and just plugged in his (mobile folding) panels while parked/bonnet closed

Is anyone able to advise me, or recommend a company that could replicate this, what equipment I need to fit a similar accessible solar plug in point (I would like to know what they are, Is it just an MPPT in this case) And where I can fit it (under bonnet or in rear of vehicle) as I have seen lots of clever ‘off grid’ installs with a mass of Victron kit in the garage but the debate can get confusing as it often also centres on Li-Ion battery tech and its impacts.

On the (MPPT or charging interface unit) It is not clear to me if I can fit such a unit in the garage or if this is a good idea (wiring/second leisure battery charging cable specs, all this I understand) but I actually think that given where VW have fitted the leisure battery (right or wrong) an under bonnet next to leisure battery solution allows the van to remain closed and locked yet still benefit from the solar. However I am open to advice here.

Any help/kit list/installer recommendations gratefully accepted before I drop several underdone pounds on some 200 - 400w panels and portable lithium :)
Is this it

09A448BA-468C-4882-B04C-1ED018CEBED4.png

2EB52DC2-DFBA-4464-9A63-DBBDD4AFE174.png

Yes!!!! That is it. I kept looking but clearly poorly.

So to a degree the questions are; what do I need to replicate that? Is it a good idea? Who could do it for me or advice on previous question. I would guess someone like black magic based on previous post would be able to do that.
If you just simply want to replicate the above, then it’s really not that difficult and I’m sure you would be able to do it with some guidance if required.
A victron energy MPPT to the battery (red and black wires) and then off to the solar (black wires going out the top of the hit above).

I assume you don’t have factory fitted solar so if that’s the case then yes this is a simple was to get solar charging your battery. Obvious downsides of these panels are security, so only good perhaps if you are with the van.

Agreed. I’m happy to consider ‘better’ options. Not clear to me yet if we need more so to speak but it is already clear we need at least solar if we keep the std agm battery

Only issue with this setup from what I can tell from the small pic and the under bonnet mount, is that it’s only charging your leisure battery not your vehicle battery too.

The electrics are already in place in the cupboard next to the toilet so if you install your mppt there it will charge both batteries.

Only issue with this setup from what I can tell from the small pic and the under bonnet mount, is that it’s only charging your leisure battery not your vehicle battery too.

The electrics are already in place in the cupboard next to the toilet so if you install your mppt there it will charge both batteries.
This was part of the reason for my question having seen the various installs for extra support batteries but not solar as most seem to have specced it (as I would have if new), hence request for advice!

This was part of the reason for my question having seen the various installs for extra support batteries but not solar as most seem to have specced it (as I would have if new), hence request for advice!
This is what iv done. Was before the 3rd battery came I’ll take a couple pics this weekend and update.

B0489514-183C-4469-B419-03C6836106CE.jpeg

B54341D9-D7F4-48F4-AAC6-D6E3BFDC1C63.jpeg

This looks very much like I would like to go, although I would not need the degree of self sufficiency you have. I don’t have time or capability to do it myself however

I app re I ate the pics and will try to visualise it or scribble it down. It all helps.

Back