Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery gone bad?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Set off from home last night, all was good. Woke this morning to a control panel showing zero battery bars and a flashing battery symbol. Odd thing is, display is showing 12.8v.
Anyway, nothing is working apart from interior lights (LED) and sink tap.

Time for a new leisure battery? I’ve had the van almost 5 years and I’ve never replaced it. No idea how old it is.

Set off from home last night, all was good. Woke this morning to a control panel showing zero battery bars and a flashing battery symbol. Odd thing is, display is showing 12.8v.
Anyway, nothing is working apart from interior lights (LED) and sink tap.

Time for a new leisure battery? I’ve had the van almost 5 years and I’ve never replaced it. No idea how old it is.
What's the battery voltage measured directly?
Strange you should have no prior indication that it was failing.

Not measured directly yet. Once the hangover clears......

So volts at the battery reflect the display.
Drove home (20 mins) and battery was showing full.
Fridge worked for 5 minutes then voltage plummeted and it cut off.
Charger output is 13.8.

The van is always parked plugged in so battery should be fully changed at all times.

I’ve left it on charge and I’ll try loading it up tomorrow.

Im pretty on it when it comes to volts and amps etc but batteries just leave me glazed over.

Happy to replace as it means I can upgrade to 180 Ah.

So volts at the battery reflect the display.
Drove home (20 mins) and battery was showing full.
Fridge worked for 5 minutes then voltage plummeted and it cut off.
Charger output is 13.8.

The van is always parked plugged in so battery should be fully changed at all times.

I’ve left it on charge and I’ll try loading it up tomorrow.

Im pretty on it when it comes to volts and amps etc but batteries just leave me glazed over.

Happy to replace as it means I can upgrade to 180 Ah.
Sounds like mine. Charged correctly on alternator and Mains Charger, but wouldn't hold the charge for an extended period. I was in Norway and whereas it would normally run fridge and heater overnight when NOT on EHU suddenly started switching off during night. 1 of the 2 batteries was failing on testing when at home. Replaced both - back to normal. Batteries were 6 yrs old.

Hi. similar issue. On ehu. 14.4 v but 1.0 amp. Fridge not working. 4 yr old ocean, with factory extended warranty. Any chance battery is covered on warranty, please? charged overnight at home but noticed down to 6 amps this morning before we left. 2 hours drive to campsite.

Hi. similar issue. On ehu. 14.4 v but 1.0 amp. Fridge not working. 4 yr old ocean, with factory extended warranty. Any chance battery is covered on warranty, please? charged overnight at home but noticed down to 6 amps this morning before we left. 2 hours drive to campsite.
You would have to ask the dealer but most batteries have a 3 year warranty but it could be extended because of your extra warranty. Our leisure batteries were replaced on the last day of our 3 year warranty. It’s worth giving it a try.

You would have to ask the dealer but most batteries have a 3 year warranty but it could be extended because of your extra warranty. Our leisure batteries were replaced on the last day of our 3 year warranty. It’s worth giving it a try.
Thanks, I’ve booked it into the dealer to see what’s what. means cancelling a long (next) weekend trip to Ashbourne where we could only get a non electric pitch.

Shiny new 180Ah unit just landed. :pinkbanana

It'll be fine. Standard fit was 140.

So a bit of an update. New bat installed. It's deffo better but it looks like it's still being pulled down by something. I've pulled all of the leisure fuses and popped an ammeter in each one.
Interestingly the fridge, when running shows 2.4A. My maths says it should be nearer 4. It work perfectly.

I'm seeing 40mA standing draw on the lighting circuit. I have a few mods on this cct. Main lamps (sink/rear) are LED conversions. There is a USB with switch added. There are two LED reading lamps added. The footwell light on the sliding door has a switch added.
Time to start disconnecting stuff.

Any similar experiences?

So a bit of an update. New bat installed. It's deffo better but it looks like it's still being pulled down by something. I've pulled all of the leisure fuses and popped an ammeter in each one.
Interestingly the fridge, when running shows 2.4A. My maths says it should be nearer 4. It work perfectly.

I'm seeing 40mA standing draw on the lighting circuit. I have a few mods on this cct. Main lamps (sink/rear) are LED conversions. There is a USB with switch added. There are two LED reading lamps added. The footwell light on the sliding door has a switch added.
Time to start disconnecting stuff.

Any similar experiences?
Are these readings with;
Control Panel on and screen on.
Control Panel on Screen blank
Control Panel Off
Some circuits take a while to shut down.

Interesting. Cntl pnl has it's own fuse so I'll re-chk with that removed.

I'll try the same check directly at the battery later.

So I’ve not taken any measurements yet directly from the battery but I have done a duration test.
As I type I’m exactly 72hrs in with the fridge set on 3 which pretty much freezes anything against the rear wall. Ambient has been pretty high this week at around 25deg. Van partially in the sun but fridge side in shade. Presently showing 1 bar and 11.9v.

Not too shabby?

Back