Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery not charging from hook up

C

clivebryant

Vehicle
Grand California 600
I've read through a few of the charging issues folks have had before but this one seems different...

I'm currently at a camp site and hooked up to the electric here. The battery is at 70% but not registering as charging at all. I've plugged a kettle into the 230 3-point socket and it's working fine. All other electrics appear to be working and in order (including the fridge, the lights and the water heating) . I've turned the isolator in the back cupboard off and on a couple of times and done the same with the trip switches (both onboard and on the camp site hook up panel).

Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers

I've read through a few of the charging issues folks have had before but this one seems different...

I'm currently at a camp site and hooked up to the electric here. The battery is at 70% but not registering as charging at all. I've plugged a kettle into the 230 3-point socket and it's working fine. All other electrics appear to be working and in order (including the fridge, the lights and the water heating) . I've turned the isolator in the back cupboard off and on a couple of times and done the same with the trip switches (both onboard and on the camp site hook up panel).

Cheers
VW chargers normally have an IEC mains plug, like a kettle plug. Check that it is properly plugged in. On the California this is not an uncommon fault. The plug is in the charger but not plugged in fully. Just a thought.

Thanks. I've just tried the unplug / replug but no change. Tomorrow, I'll try plugging it in on a different pitch...

Thanks. I've just tried the unplug / replug but no change. Tomorrow, I'll try plugging it in on a different pitch...
If the mains socket in the van is working for your kettle, then it is the mains supply to the charger in the van, the charger itself or the fuse between charger and leisure battery.

Might be worth sticking a multimeter directly on the battery. Many reported sensing problems on GC.

Cheers
it happened to me that the 230V connector placed under the seat where the battery charger is housed came off.
Just reconnect it.
I hope that's it.

I had same issue with my 2015 SE. 240v working, eventually found 30a fuse in fuse holder under passenger front seat was blown. Worth a look. Check with multi meter if not obviously blown.

it happened to me that the 230V connector placed under the seat where the battery charger is housed came off.
Just reconnect it.
I hope that's it.
So I've had a look under the seat and found an apparent loose connector but nothing obvious to connect it to... See photos - is this the connector you're referring to? If not, does anyone have any idea what it's for?

20211021_114157076_iOS.jpg

20211021_114212335_iOS.jpg

So I've had a look under the seat and found an apparent loose connector but nothing obvious to connect it to... See photos - is this the connector you're referring to? If not, does anyone have any idea what it's for?

View attachment 85810

View attachment 85811
That looks like the Mains power connector for the Mains 12v Charger. A largish black box like unit.

I have the same issues I noticed the control panel charging plug flashing had a fault code 7001I've had the seat off and I dont have the kettle plug on the charger, I've checked the hook up lead and its fine, I've checked the charger fuse and it's fine I've checked the hook up plug and its fine however I've plugged a kettle in on hook up and it doesnt switch on any ideas good people of the forum?

Have you check the circuit breakers in the utility cupboard ?

So now my issue is when I plug in the hook up the rcb trips out it was all fine in september while I was away any ideas?
I was just going to add I've just gone and checked and when I plug in hook up the breaker trups out

So now my issue is when I plug in the hook up the rcb trips out it was all fine in september while I was away any ideas?
I presume when you were away camping you were using the same Hookup lead?
so to connect to the home mains electric socket you are using a plug in extension with a U.K. 3 pin plug? Have you used this extension lead before?
Have you tried another house mains socket?

I presume when you were away camping you were using the same Hookup lead?
so to connect to the home mains electric socket you are using a plug in extension with a U.K. 3 pin plug? Have you used this extension lead before?
Have you tried another house mains socket?
Hi welshgas I'm using the same hook up lead as I do when I'm away but I've got an adapter on the end with a uk plug on which I plug into a socket in the garage, I've run the lead into the house and plugged the kettle in and it was fine so ive eliminated the cable from my enquiries ive also had the hook up socket off the van and checked all the connections all fine I've now disconnected both batteries and plugged hook up in and still trips out so I'm a bit lost now

Which breaker, left, middle or right?

If the left one, switch the other two off and try it again. If it stays in try each of the other two to find the fault. The socket outlets are on one of the other two and the mains charger/truma & habitation ac on the other.

Hi welshgas I'm using the same hook up lead as I do when I'm away but I've got an adapter on the end with a uk plug on which I plug into a socket in the garage, I've run the lead into the house and plugged the kettle in and it was fine so ive eliminated the cable from my enquiries ive also had the hook up socket off the van and checked all the connections all fine I've now disconnected both batteries and plugged hook up in and still trips out so I'm a bit lost now
So if you plug your lead into a House mains socket, everything works OK?

But if you plug into the Garage mains socket the switch trips?

So if you plug your lead into a House mains socket, everything works OK?

But if you plug into the Garage mains socket the switch trips?
No it was still plugged into the garage when I run the cable to the kettle

I think mine are different mate mine is just one double breaker
Switch off both. Connect to EHU and then switch 1on followed by the 2nd .

It would also help if you updated the vehicle on your Avatar.

Switch off both. Connect to EHU and then switch 1on followed by the 2nd .

It would also help if you updated the vehicle on your Avatar.
I should have been clearer you can only switch the breakers together there are no individual switches the only switch operates all the breakers thinking about it while I was away I had an issue raising the roof it came up with voltage plausibility fault while not on hook up and my control panel was resetting as if no power had been going to it, I think it's a trip to the auto spark, what should I do with the avatar?

I should have been clearer you can only switch the breakers together there are no individual switches the only switch operates all the breakers thinking about it while I was away I had an issue raising the roof it came up with voltage plausibility fault while not on hook up and my control panel was resetting as if no power had been going to it, I think it's a trip to the auto spark, what should I do with the avatar?
Exactly which vehicle have you got?
You’ve posted on a Grand California 600/680 thread, your Avatar says T5 SE.174.

These 2 vehicles have very different electrical systems.