Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery gauge stuck at 100%

where did you get the drawing from? Could do with it in English
As a workaround just use Google Translate in combination with the phone's camera. It will translate whatever is on the page to English.

Sort of battery question...sorry if its been answered elsewhere. I have consulted the VW grand california supplement but of little use.
When the battery status on the control panel shows "act current" as a negative number I assume this is current being drawn from the leisure battery. When it is a positive number I assume this is current replenishing the leisure battery from the PV array. I ask because it is showing 100% battery, a positive "act current" and when I look at the solar controller the "battery full" LED is not illuminated. All these observations when "off grid".
Trying to understand what is going on.
Thank you

Sort of battery question...sorry if its been answered elsewhere. I have consulted the VW grand california supplement but of little use.
When the battery status on the control panel shows "act current" as a negative number I assume this is current being drawn from the leisure battery. When it is a positive number I assume this is current replenishing the leisure battery from the PV array. I ask because it is showing 100% battery, a positive "act current" and when I look at the solar controller the "battery full" LED is not illuminated. All these observations when "off grid".
Trying to understand what is going on.
Thank you
1. The % reading is a calculation based on spot current draw and is not that accurate only giving readings to the nearest 10%. You never see 99%.
2. The voltage is accurate. But note the 60min rest period with no charge or usage before noting voltage.

SoC-AGM.jpg

1. The % reading is a calculation based on spot current draw and is not that accurate only giving readings to the nearest 10%. You never see 99%.
2. The voltage is accurate. But note the 60min rest period with no charge or usage before noting voltage.

View attachment 94922
Really useful, thanks

Hi all I too have this error

The battery gauge on our Grand California (the one on the panel stuck outside the bathroom) is constantly stuck at 100%, permanently showing 0 amp draw regardless of actual draw and 0hrs and minutes remaining, and constantly showing a “charging” status if on hook up (ie it still shows “charging” even having been on hook up for >2 days).

The leisure battery is ok and charging from solar is at 12.7 volts using a bluetooth battery monitor as suggested on the forum.

However did anyone find a cure for the control panel reset to show the actual battery draw and percentage charge rather than it being stuck at 100%.

I have not yet tried any resets as not sure if its VW dealer fix or the disconnection may work, thanks in advance.

Hi all I too have this error

The battery gauge on our Grand California (the one on the panel stuck outside the bathroom) is constantly stuck at 100%, permanently showing 0 amp draw regardless of actual draw and 0hrs and minutes remaining, and constantly showing a “charging” status if on hook up (ie it still shows “charging” even having been on hook up for >2 days).

The leisure battery is ok and charging from solar is at 12.7 volts using a bluetooth battery monitor as suggested on the forum.

However did anyone find a cure for the control panel reset to show the actual battery draw and percentage charge rather than it being stuck at 100%.

I have not yet tried any resets as not sure if its VW dealer fix or the disconnection may work, thanks in advance.
Mine did something similar couple of weeks ago, went into the dealers and was told there is a software update, they did the update and all seems ok now but not tested currently showing 100% and >60 hours just on solar. Going away in a couple of weeks. So will know more then.

Last edited:
Mind did something similar couple of weeks ago when into the dealers and was told there is a software update, they did the update and all seems ok now but not tested currently showing 100% and >60 hours just on solar. Gong away in a couple of weeks. So will know more then.
Thanks for that

Does anyone know if this is the latest software update?

IMG_4519.jpeg

Ok! So getting ready for our shake down trip in our new to us GC680, just realised after coming across this thread that our control panel also says 100% all the time etc. I have just plugged in a 12v USB socket that also displays the battery reading (I realise not as reliable as a multi meter, but should give me a good idea!). I have the fridge on and the reading is 14.3V, am I right in assuming that it’s probably drawing charge from the solar panel? Sun just gone in and started to rain….reading now 12.8V. If so, would you think that this is hopefully just a panel reset requirement or do you think I may not be holding charge etc.

Last edited:
Ok! So getting ready for our shake down trip in our new to us GC680, just realised after coming across this thread that our control panel also says 100% all the time etc. I have just plugged in a 12v USB socket that also displays the battery reading (I realise not as reliable as a multi meter, but should give me a good idea!). I have the fridge on and the reading is 14.3V, am I right in assuming that it’s probably drawing charge from the solar panel? Sun just gone in and started to rain….reading now 12.8V. If so, would you think that this is hopefully just a panel reset requirement or do you think I may not be holding charge etc.
Normal.
The 14.3v is the charging voltage from the Solar Panel. It is charging your Leisure Battery, but at the same time you are using the fridge so depleting the Leisure Battery. If the fridge was switched off the Leisure Battery would be fully charged and you would have the Float voltage of 13.4v.
Once the sun goes down Solar stops charging. The Control Panel will now show the Leisure Battery voltage, 12.8v. Fully charged. This will gradually drop overnight as you have the Fridge On, possibly to 12.5v +/- , until the sun comes up and the Solar Panel starts working and the voltage will climb to the charging voltage of 14.4v or thereabouts.
Your % reading is a guesstimate based on power consumption and you may find it drops below 100% at night.

Normal.
The 14.3v is the charging voltage from the Solar Panel. It is charging your Leisure Battery, but at the same time you are using the fridge so depleting the Leisure Battery. If the fridge was switched off the Leisure Battery would be fully charged and you would have the Float voltage of 13.4v.
Once the sun goes down Solar stops charging. The Control Panel will now show the Leisure Battery voltage, 12.8v. Fully charged. This will gradually drop overnight as you have the Fridge On, possibly to 12.5v +/- , until the sun comes up and the Solar Panel starts working and the voltage will climb to the charging voltage of 14.4v or thereabouts.
Your % reading is a guesstimate based on power consumption and you may find it drops below 100% at night.
Thanks for the details and confirmation. Your explanation is exactly what happened I.e. I went out at around 9.30pm and the reading was back to 12.8V, switched the fridge on to night mode. I have just gone to check this morning at 6.45am and it’s reading 12.6V. Thanks again.

Thanks for the details and confirmation. Your explanation is exactly what happened I.e. I went out at around 9.30pm and the reading was back to 12.8V, switched the fridge on to night mode. I have just gone to check this morning at 6.45am and it’s reading 12.6V. Thanks again.
Did the % value change overni?

Did the % value change overni?
No, that is stuck, I knew that as the voltage permanently says 100% and 12.7V even when the fridge is on etc. It is booked in for a service at VW in 2 weeks, so I have made them aware, hopefully just requires a software update. I was more concerned that the battery was not holding a charge etc. Which it seems to be fine.

Back