Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery questions - +inverter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WZAAR92/?tag=eliteelect-21

Slow but apparently good and cheaper than a 2000w inverter.

This is the number one Cali coffee accessory however

Ok what about one of those 2000W suitcase generators as a possibility. They are supposed to be very quiet when in use

Another possibilty is fit an anderson connector to your starter battery and plug the inverter in. Then start the engine and apply the load.

Ok what about one of those 2000W suitcase generators as a possibility. They are supposed to be very quiet when in use
Are they allowed on any site now. Off site maybe but not on any site I frequent.

Another possibilty is fit an anderson connector to your starter battery and plug the inverter in. Then start the engine and apply the load.
Will look into this, have you any further details about it

I just can’t be arsed with all the mess and bits that need washing up after using it.
That’s why I use mine at home!
i just use a simple over cup filter in the van ... a compromise but a decent coffee.

Appreciate I have more space, but we carry a generator when off grid. If the wife can’t plug her hair dryer in, my life is not worth living...

Honestly, some homework is required before attempting to do this. You are seriously risking, in my opinion, to burn down the van. I have built a "power station", that is a big 120Ah battery with a 2500W Inverter. For purely testing experiments I boiled water with a 2200W 240V kettle and run a 1600W 240V hoover for a few minutes.
I was unsuccessfull in making a coffee with the (1300W) Nespresso Krups machine. The inverter was cutting as it couldn't draw power from the battery quickly enough because the battery was too small. When the Nespresso machine heats up the water it has a huge peek in power consumption. Maybe with the 150Ah of the Cali it may work, but the batteries will be ruined very very prematurely. This provided you hooked them with the proper size wire. To draw 100Ah on 12V you need cables as thick as fingers, which by the way, will be very difficult to correctly hook one pole to one battery and the other to the opposite pole of the other battery otherwise the battery you connect to will be killed quickly even if hooked in parallel with the other one. That won't solve the issue of the existing wiring between the two batteries. If cables are not of the correct size, they become very hot very quickly. Burning hot. Since in the Cali the batteries seat quite far apart, I am not sure how it can be possibly done.
So your options are:
1) dedicated 200Ah+ min additional and separate battery+inverter (it seems a big sacrifice in space and weight IMHO for the sake of a Nespresso)
2) a generator
3) A Lithium power pack (my preferred solution, if you have to have a Nespresso) and it can be use a lot more easily than a generator that requires petrol and it is noisy

Might be easier to just use instant!

Seriously the Aeropress is great.

The Lavazza instant isn’t to bad for an instant coffee.
I can’t believe the necessities to carry a machine when there seems to be a coffeeshop on every other corner these days.

Or you could consider this, that doesn't require any electricity. Of course you need to buy the original with the rubber valve so that it is safe, don't cheap out on the chinese copy as it won't have the same valve and it may explode making a mess to clean in the van like recently somebody posted.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0019M4H16/?tag=eliteelect-21

and if you have a Beach or don't/can't have gas in winter there is the electric version, shame it just misses for 20W the limit of the onboard inverter. But then with a small 300W/500W inverter you'll be more than fine, you can hook it to any of the two LB and won't need huge cables, no fuse to modify.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002EWANQS/?tag=eliteelect-21
Yes, it takes 5 mins to brew coffee and you have to rinse it after, but it takes next to no space and you recover the time by not having to faff around with massive batteries, huge inverters and ridiculous cables.

Or you could consider this, that doesn't require any electricity. Of course you need to buy the original with the rubber valve so that it is safe, don't cheap out on the chinese copy as it won't have the same valve and it may explode making a mess to clean in the van like recently somebody posted.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Express-Espresso-Maker-Silver/dp/B0019M4H16/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1AL059UEOKI4M&keywords=bialetti+2+cup&qid=1574410483&sprefix=bialetti+,aps,140&sr=8-2

and if you have a Beach or don't/can't have gas in winter there is the electric version, shame it just misses for 20W the limit of the onboard inverter. But then with a small 300W/500W inverter you'll be more than fine, you can hook it to any of the two LB and won't need huge cables, no fuse to modify.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002EWANQS/?tag=eliteelect-21
Yes, it takes 5 mins to brew coffee and you have to rinse it after, but it takes next to no space and you recover the time by not having to faff around with massive batteries, huge inverters and ridiculous cables.

Thank you, I appreciate all you help and advice. And yes your right using a Bialeti or a pour over type set up is the most easiest route to go down and we have these already in the van but they can be messy and require cleaning up afterwards, and with the metal Bialetti somewhere for it to cool down afterwards, which always isn't the easiest thing when your on the go. The nespresso solves the mess problem, although its lazy as hell and obviously an expensive way of wanting to do things with the cost involved but I'm still hung up on having this way

Any lithium powerpacks you could recommend??

I have no experience with these Lithium power packs sorry, since i had used normal solar batteries and inverters (way cheaper for my needs).
If I were in the market I'd be taking a good look at the Bluetti (not Bialetti!!), but again it' limited to 1000W output and it won't be enough for a Nespresso.

Or fit an Anderson câble to your leisure battery. Job done.

Or fit an Anderson câble to your leisure battery. Job done.
Er no not for 1500w. Need the full alternator current to supplement the battery and that only works on starter battery. Plus the fuse will likely go on the leisure battery.

Er no not for 1500w. Need the full alternator current to supplement the battery and that only works on starter battery. Plus the fuse will likely go on the leisure battery.
Errr no, what fuse? I said to battery, I meant that, direct. Add a new fuse if you want in-line.

Errr no, what fuse? I said to battery, I meant that, direct. Add a new fuse if you want in-line.
Wire direct to 1 Leisure battery means you are wired to the 2 batteries, as they are wired in parallel and that wiring is fused . So unless the 2 nd battery is disconnected and isolated you would have a problem.
Similarly if you are contemplating wiring to a Leisure Battery and running the engine/alternator you have the problem of the Parallel wired and fused Leisure Batteries and the factor that the alternator to Leisure Battery circuit is also fuse protected with an 80 amp fuse.
@Legin is absolutely correct, only the Engine Battery and alternator is the only possible combination and I have my doubts about that.

But by all means do try and let us know how you get on.:thumb

@Legin is absolutely correct, only the Engine Battery and alternator is the only possible combination and I have my doubts about that.

I am not convinced. On one hand we would need to know what size alternator we have, i think it's 140A but should be verified. This would be maybe not enough fot the initial peak that the nespresso machine requires.
On the other hand these new alternators are "intelligent" , i.e. they supply power not continuosly at 140A but according to the state of charge of the engine battery.
Not sure. Also not a fan of using the engine battery for camping needs, especially when i already have 2 leisure batteries for that purpose.

Wire direct to 1 Leisure battery means you are wired to the 2 batteries, as they are wired in parallel and that wiring is fused . So unless the 2 nd battery is disconnected and isolated you would have a problem.
Similarly if you are contemplating wiring to a Leisure Battery and running the engine/alternator you have the problem of the Parallel wired and fused Leisure Batteries and the factor that the alternator to Leisure Battery circuit is also fuse protected with an 80 amp fuse.

Georg Ohm, that wonderful German chap must be wondering why he bothered.

Only in the case of a fused link between batteries would your scenario be correct.