Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery questions - +inverter

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone

I’ve a 2018 Cali Ocean and was just wondering if anyone would know the following couple of questions.
1. What battery would be in it, was there a particular type they always have
2. Does it have 1 or 2 of them, I know there is one in a compartment in the rear of the van.

Hi Everyone

I’ve a 2018 Cali Ocean and was just wondering if anyone would know the following couple of questions.
1. What battery would be in it, was there a particular type they always have
2. Does it have 1 or 2 of them, I know there is one in a compartment in the rear of the van.
Normally Varta AGM. Black casing.
1 below rear wardrobe
1 under front Passenger Seat covered by a black rubber casing/cover.

Normally Varta AGM. Black casing.
1 below rear wardrobe
1 under front Passenger Seat covered by a black rubber casing/cover.

Thank you, It definitely has a black casing as I remember seeing it when Roger Donaghue fitted my solar panel.

Another question. I want to connect a 2000w Pure Sine Invertor to one of the batteries to power my coffee machine when off grid with no hook up, won't be used continuously and I will always be able to start the vehicle up to recharge the batteries but I was wondering do I connect it to the one in the rear or the one under the passenger seat. Or would it be best to just buy another battery and keep the connection cables short and charge that up indoors whenever to gets low?

The batteries are connected in parallel so you should be fine. 2000w inverter may be wise to only run with engine running. Or get a 12v coffee machine.

EDIT 2000w inverter may overload Cali wiring and fuses.

The batteries are connected in parallel so you should be fine. 2000w inverter may be wise to only run with engine running. Or get a 12v coffee machine.

Thank you, So would I just need to connect the inverter to the one in the rear?

Do you realize that 2000 watts will require a current of nearly 200 amps for your batteries?

I didnt consider that, that would blow the fuses :eek: I think 75amp is the fuse rating.

Last edited:
Do you realize that 2000 watts will require a current of nearly 200 amps for your batteries?
The inverter can handle up to 2000w, the coffee machine is around 1300-1500w

The inverter can handle up to 2000w, the coffee machine is around 1300-1500w
At 1500w that is a current requirement of at least 125 amps or more at 12v. So if using the California Leisure Batteries which are wired in parallel with a , I believe a, 75 amp cube fuse on the +tve connection, on the T6, then there is a distinct possibility that fuse would blow. The Split Charge Relay from the Alternator is protected by a 80 amp fuse. I’m not sure how those fuses would behave with a constant high current draw for a minute or two or even longer.

So it would be better to just buy a separate leisure battery and connect it to that and then buy a 240v charger to charge the leisure battery indoors when needed. This would save the risk to the fuses.

Or could I not just put higher rates fuses in??

Last edited:
So it would be better to just buy a separate leisure battery and connect it to that and then buy a 240v charger to charge the leisure battery indoors when needed. This would save the risk to the fuses.

Whilst boats and some large RVs that have massive battery banks could cope with the draw of your high power inverter, relying on the 150 amp/hr capacity of your leisure batteries is a big ask.
You will also need large diameter connection cables to avoid dramatic overheating during the very high amperage's you will be drawing to obtain your caffeine fix.
Fuses are there for a reason, uprating them without major modification of the electrical system would be brave.

So it would be better to just buy a separate leisure battery and connect it to that and then buy a 240v charger to charge the leisure battery indoors when needed. timeThis would save the risk to the fuses.

The fuses are there to protect the wiring loom as well. A costly and time consuming replacement.
There are a number of Forum threads about coffee making in the California. Quit honestly it would be safer and less expensive to purchase a gas or 12v system for the California.

After a nights sleep I have to agree with everyone, I think that level of inverter will probably blow your fuses and could maybe even damage the wiring. I suspect 500w may be about the max size inverter that would be possible on the cali wiring even then its probably worth asking an auto electrician. I

Maybe a hookup will be the best solution if you want a full on machine or a 12v Handipresso or aeropress? There is a great coffee thread here:

Yes I think its going to be a on hook up use item only then, I don't want to damage the wiring or blow fuses, I know a lot of people that have them but these are in conversions so maybe they've been set up with better wiring and higher rated fuses.

Yes I think its going to be a on hook up use item only then, I don't want to damage the wiring or blow fuses, I know a lot of people that have them but these are in conversions so maybe they've been set up with better wiring and higher rated fuses.
Or just restricted to Mains hook up.
Most conversions I’ve come across only had 1 Leisure Battery of a 100 + amp capacity not the 150 amp of the California Ocean/SE so they would still struggle.

Or just restricted to Mains hook up.
Most conversions I’ve come across only had 1 Leisure Battery of a 100 + amp capacity not the 150 amp of the California Ocean/SE so they would still struggle.
A friend of mine in his conversion has 110amp fuses and a 110ah battery and his nespresso works fine

For a while now I have been trying to find a way to use my nespresso machine when not on hookup. On hookup, it's no problem at all. But when relying on the leisure batteries, it's just not possible. So I guess it has to remain the way it is; nespresso when on hookup and 'normal' coffee when not on hookup. You can buy a nespresso machine that has been altered to work at 750watt instead of the usual 1200-1500 but that only helps when youare on lower ampere hookup. 750watt is still too much for the batteries. The inverter in the van alows up to 150watt.

So might be a stupid question but can't the inverter just simply be changed for a more powerful one?

A friend of mine in his conversion has 110amp fuses and a 110ah battery and his nespresso works fine
If you had a dedicated connection with suitable wiring it should be entirely possible, the only challenge would be the 75amp block fuse and not over discharging the abttery.

Again I'm not knowledgable enough about the block fuse and whether this would be an issue in parallel. I do a little of this stuff as part of my amateur radio studies so have a vague understanding but not a full one.

Many leisure batteries will have a maximum recommended amp draw, I've been doing a little research as this has interested me. For AGM the max is capacity / 4

So 150a/h across the 2 batteries would be 37.5amps (at 12v), go beyond that and the voltage will drop massively and you may even damage the capacity of the cells.

If your inverter is rated to 2000w but is drawing much less you should be fine, its just making sure its not beyond the max draw I guess.

Last edited:
Just did the maths

Watts / Voltage = Amps

1200 watt machine at 240v would draw 5 amps, same power at 12v would draw 100 amps, well above recommended draw of 37.5a for 150ah agm

Just did the maths

Watts / Voltage = Amps

1200 watt machine at 240v would draw 5 amps, same power at 12v would draw 100 amps, well above recommended draw of 37.5a for 150ah agm

Not being technically minded but are all leisure batteries 12V, could you use a 24V inverter at all?

If your batteries were linked in serial instead of parallel I believe they would then be 24v (the voltages get added in serial) but cali configuration I don't think so. In serial your capacity would be halved too so the max draw of the bank would probably be worse not better than the 12v setup.

There are also 24v batteries out there but you would then have issues with charging the batteries on a 12v system and parts.

Last edited:
If your batteries were linked in serial instead of parallel I believe they would then be 24v (the voltages get added in serial) but cali configuration I don't think so. In serial your capacity would be halved too so the max draw of the bank would probably be worse not better than the 12v setup.

There are also 24v batteries out there but you would then have issues with charging the batteries on a 12v system.
All off the rest of the leisure electric system, such as lighting, fridge and heater, is 12volt so those would have to be changed, assuming replacements are available.
Alan

Most of the solutions are expensive and have potential to damage the california.
If you love your coffee machine enough, try one of these. It’s only £2k.
Goal Zero Unisex Yeti 1400 Lithium Power Pack, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N357RY1/?tag=eliteelect-21
It will provide 1500W continuous for what you require and you could charge it while on hookup or driving in between.

I built my own ‘California’ when I lived in the States as they didn’t have anything like it and fitted a 200Ah auxiliary battery, 300 watts of solar and a battery to battery charging system. For the 1500W inverter and all major wire runs, it had 2 gauge cables, which are over 6mm in diameter. It was great as I could run power tools, blender or anything else from the van, but the California isn’t designed for that.
163223E0-03A0-4BF2-AC30-9F36EE49A7BF.jpeg