Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery showing only poor at 10.7v

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi there, I have had the head gasket replaced on the van and since the even when I charge the leisure battery for 10hrs it’s showing as 10.7v (Poor) the next day? Would some connection y’all have been removed possibly when they were doing the work? eg the connection that allows trickle charge of leisure battery?

I have been keeping it charged over the winter with a once a month charge. It is charging as the red light comes on, on the battery when plugged in.

Any ideas welcome?

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know how old your batteries are, but 10,7V seems like at least 1 cell broken.
Do you have a separate battery charger? Disconnect both leisure batteries and try charging them.
If they then hold their charge, there is something wrong with the van. If they still give you less than 11V, then it's time for a nice new set of batteries (always change both of them). As you have a T5 (pre 2010), then your batteries must be 11 years or older (if it's still the first set). Time for some new ones. Doesn't have to be original VW ones, but don't look at your money, or you will be facing a new change in less than 5 years.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. It’s a Jerba conversion so I think the two Varta batteries are in a cage under the van. Any idea on cost of replacements?? I don’t have a separate charger. There’s a socket at the back of the van that I just plug into.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. It’s a Jerba conversion so I think the two Varta batteries are in a cage under the van. Any idea on cost of replacements?? I don’t have a separate charger. There’s a socket at the back of the van that I just plug into.

I’m afraid you’ll have to examine the batteries and either get the Varta code or measure the size, in case they are a different size to those the VW California uses.
The California uses Varta LA80 batteries which cost about £160+ from online sellers or about £300 from VW. The prices are for 1 battery.

Thanks WelshGas, when I remove the batteries what do o need to examine to check if they’re toast or not? It’s weird though as I’ve had issues with the Head Gasket on the car and I managed to get it replaced under warranty by VW but this issue as cropped up. Seems strange though as they were working fine. Any link to the work done in the engine bay do you think?

Thanks WelshGas, when I remove the batteries what do o need to examine to check if they’re toast or not? It’s weird though as I’ve had issues with the Head Gasket on the car and I managed to get it replaced under warranty by VW but this issue as cropped up. Seems strange though as they were working fine. Any link to the work done in the engine bay do you think?

Unlikely to be connected to the head gasket.
if you can remove the batteries and check the voltage on each. Then charge each for 24 hrs and then check voltage - should be 12.7+ and remain at that level for days. If not on 1 battery then both need replacing.
if these are the original batteries then they probably need replacing.

Maybe they disconnected the starter battery, but not the leisure battery (ies). If they are not behind a split relay, they have shorted the '+' wire and blown the fuse for the leisure battery (ies)?
First try to find any other batteries and check them separately.

Thanks WelshGas and Triplebee. There’s a vehicle battery in the engine bay and the two leisure battery’s are underneath the van. So you think they may have disconnected the vehicle battery from the link with the leisure ones?

Thanks WelshGas and Triplebee. There’s a vehicle battery in the engine bay and the two leisure battery’s are underneath the van. So you think they may have disconnected the vehicle battery from the link with the leisure ones?

I don't really think that. There could be a couple of possibilities, but that would be my first thought.
If it is not a California, I don't know how the leisure batteries are connected to the main vehicle electronics.
If everything worked well before, then this would be my first guess. Check the connection to the leisures.
If not, try to find out how or what else it could be.
In worst case, try to find a schematic plan of the conversion electronics.

Ok many thanks Triplebee. At least this gives me something to go back to them and ask them to check.

Will let you know what it ends up being.

Guys how often should I be charging these leisure batteries anyhow? I’ve been doing a 12hr charge once a month. I only drive the van 16 miles round trip to work 5 days per week outside of this.

Guys how often should I be charging these leisure batteries anyhow? I’ve been doing a 12hr charge once a month. I only drive the van 16 miles round trip to work 5 days per week outside of this.

12 hours monthly should be more than adequate.

Many thanks WelshGas. Sound advice as always.