Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling California on site.

We never use them, or own a set
Watch lots of people faffing around with them just put the kettle on and watch the show, works for us

Meoncoast said:
We never use them, or own a set
Watch lots of people faffing around with them just put the kettle on and watch the show, works for us

You would of needed them at the Cotswold meet this year, without them the kettle would of slid of the ring! We carry a small set of Fiamma ones, only use them in extreme circumstances which has been about three times in two years.

I'm amazed at those who never use them. You must be very lucky with the sites you choose. Mine have been used at about a quarter of the places I've been to, at a guess. How do you get the van acceptably level on a sloping pitch?

I wasn't sure if we'd need some, but got some anyway in the initial spending spree when we got the van. I got the black Thule ones off amazon for about 30 quid if I remember rightly.

We've used them quite a lot and find they give you more options when choosing a pitch - you don't have to write off the sloping ones. In particular this year in Bordeaux we were able to go on the sloping pitch with a view of a chateau across a valley, without the chocks we'd have had to go on the flatter pitch with a view of a hedge instead. Not the end of the world, but it made our stay more enjoyable.

We've also been in other places where there hasn't been any way to level the van without them. It doesn't ruin your life to not have them, but they are handy and have certainly earned their keep with us.

1cced3598542cdcb18d4cfbdfb96faa2.jpg

Pineweasel said:
I'm amazed at those who never use them. You must be very lucky with the sites you choose. Mine have been used at about a quarter of the places I've been to, at a guess. How do you get the van acceptably level on a sloping pitch?

Horses for courses. This year my average stay on a campsite/camping spot has been 1.2 days so I am really not fussed about getting an amazing view.

I also use a lot of britsops or in continental Europe Aires, which nearly always are tarmac and level. My next three days away will be Ypres, level wildcamp, Arras, Tarmac Aire and Bergue. level hard surface field next to the sportsground.

Even when using casmpsites I try to get on a hardstanding, and even on ones with a bit of a slope its often possible to position the van to mitigate the worst effects.

The last time I stayed on grass was at Kemmel, Belgium, in early November.that sloped away from the roadway so I asked for another spot and was given what for me was pride of place, for anyone else probably the pits. Hedges two sides, brick wall one side, loo straight in front. Horses for courses. Suits me to have the loo a few steps away, I arrived late in the afternoon so immediately put up the screen blinds concealing my view of the loo and the brick wall kept the neighbours noise away.

We've always had a pair and use them when needed (probably about 50% of the time). We find them handy but ours are quite shallow so not much use if our pitch is too sloped as it invariably is when we go to north morte farm!

How we cope with no levelling blocks.

if site slopped point the van in position so feet when sleeping down hill ( the only need 1 pillow rather than 2)

never had an issue with kettle sliding

also we are using (driving) van daily so do not want to go on and off blocks every time we go off somewhere.

works for us

Back