Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling ramps

Depends on what surface you will end on.
If it's just for minor adjustments, you can go with some low profiles.
If you need to level a lot, you will need some higher ramps.

low profile:

higher:

The yellow fiamma ones in the second link above are what I have- work well for me. If you have a dsg then chocks to stop the van rocking back are a good idea

Don’t go to big.
I find the Cali only needs slight adjustment and usually on a campsite.
If the ramps aren’t to big, they store with the folding chairs out of the way, when not in use.

Do you have to have a particular width of ramp to suit your tyres? I remember reading something about this but cant find it.
EDIT: Have been using these from FIAMMA and have worked well with my old 215 tyres but the new 235 tyres overlap the edges and I worry a little about tyre damage.
1584195066095.png

Last edited:
I have only need to use ramps once in 1.5 years.

I look for any gradient on the pitch and park so that our heads are always on the higher ground....we sleep upstairs.
But if it is very windy then we park so that the rear of the cali is on the higher ground.

Only used the ramps when the slope was extreme!

I have seem folk get too technical with it. Even use spirit levels to adjust front to rear and right to left.
This is just too much effort!

Don’t go to big.
I find the Cali only needs slight adjustment and usually on a campsite.
If the ramps aren’t to big, they store with the folding chairs out of the way, when not in use.
I pulled the cover off the space next to the underseat drawer and put them in there. Easy to get to etc...

Do you have to have a particular width of ramp to suit your tyres? I remember reading something about this but cant find it.
EDIT: Have been using these from FIAMMA and have worked well with my old 215 tyres but the new 235 tyres overlap the edges and I worry a little about tyre damage.
View attachment 56207
You are unlikely to be on the ramp for long enough to do damage. If central, the overhang on each side for 235 is less than 2cm.

We have these. Never needed any bigger and stores nicely.

Thule 307617 Caravan Ramps Motorhome Level Wheel, Black, Set of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FWL4O9A/?tag=eliteelect-21
Can also recommend these due to steps that help settle vehicle particularly if DSG equipped and give an indication of where you are on ramp, reducing risk of going off the top step ( never done it but told very difficult to extract the ramp when it is wedged into the wheel arch and usually involves jacking/wheel off and damage to the arch liner)

I have only need to use ramps once in 1.5 years.

I look for any gradient on the pitch and park so that our heads are always on the higher ground....we sleep upstairs.
But if it is very windy then we park so that the rear of the cali is on the higher ground.

Only used the ramps when the slope was extreme!

I have seem folk get too technical with it. Even use spirit levels to adjust front to rear and right to left.
This is just too much effort!
I also use a spirit level.
perfection-spirit-glass-clear-5-0-cl-1-pcs-perfection-460x460.pngperfection-spirit-glass-clear-5-0-cl-1-pcs-perfection-460x460.png

We have the extra drawer under the back seat, so store our ramps between the front seats when travelling. I also have wedges, to stop the van rolling back when the handbrake is released in order to rotate driver’s (RH) seat (potential damage to DSG gearbox)

Hi all, where do you store the levellers?
On the SE/Ocean they slide in nicely by the side of the underbed drawer, between drawer and kitchen.
Same here, perfect fit. The cover comes off, so you can remove them before emptying the boot and get yourself level first.

We have the extra drawer under the back seat, so store our ramps between the front seats when travelling. I also have wedges, to stop the van rolling back when the handbrake is released in order to rotate driver’s (RH) seat (potential damage to DSG gearbox)

We also have the extra drawer, so in between the front seats is a good idea.

Do you need the wedges if you put the DSG in P ?

A matter of debate. When in P the box is locked by a pin, but there can be some movement when you release the handbrake if the pin is not fully engaged. Only very slight movement, before it locks fully.
Even with chocks in place, DSG in P you can still get slight movement when releasing the handbrake depending on chock position and tyre flex.
Personally I have only used the ramps twice in almost 6 years and some have never used them. With the SWB it's normally not difficult to get pretty level.

I don’t use wedges. We have been on some “steep” pitches and the levellers have been fine without wedges. DSG can roll a little until it locks in Park. You just need to ensure that you’re well onto the level you want to be on, put into park and slowly release the foot brake (don’t bother with the hand brake at all). If it rolls down to the next level, check if you can live with the level or just try again. It won’t take you long to get the knack especially if you have a good copilot.

I think the wedges are important. The van usually rocks back until the pin stops it. I don’t like the whole weight of the van resting on the pin. Once I had a little difficulty getting it into gear on startup after such an event. Chocks are small and cheap

One in each chair in the back door
in plastic bags, don't forget to knock the slugs
out from under them if you've been camping a few days.

I use my Calibrake which keeps the handbrake on. All these chocks and stressed pins in the DSG, no thanks. I use the Fiamma chocks and they work for me. I use them twice a year.

I use my Calibrake which keeps the handbrake on. All these chocks and stressed pins in the DSG, no thanks. I use the Fiamma chocks and they work for me. I use them twice a year.
Calibrake, new one on me, every day’s a school day. But if I’m reading the website right, it’s a £525 investment to fix a problem that most people don’t seem to have a problem with. Aviation, yachts and it would seem cali’s......license to print money....

Anybody know make of ramps that fit in with the chairs?

Anybody know make of ramps that fit in with the chairs?
To be totally honest I wouldn’t bother with levelling ramps. We bought a set when we had our van 8 years ago. Used them once. We prefer to just make sure that the high point is where our heads are when sleeping upstairs and that’s it.
They can also get very messy digging into the ground on a grassy/muddy campsite and if put into the chairs unless they are in bags they can get in a right state.