Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Life’s (hopefully) a Beach!

It’s interesting how one person’s ‘must have’ is another person’s ‘must not have’.

I suppose it is all down to the different ways we use our Beaches.
Ours is a rear 2 seater so we don’t have the height you have in the 3, for us the pull out drawer is huge plus it makes access so much easier.

Ours is a rear 2 seater so we don’t have the height you have in the 3, for us the pull out drawer is huge plus it makes access so much easier.
I haven't looked closely at the two seat bench Beach, but I can imagine the boot being pretty inaccessible with a lower multiflex. Even in the three seat bench Beach with the bench seat forward, positioned for lowering into a bed, the space behind the bench is difficult to access, so I can see the merits in the sliding tray. But we regularly change around our Beach from a five seat configuration for camping to a 7 seat MPV mode. It is the faff of unbolting and removing the sliding drawer mechanism everytime we want to put in an extra seat or two that I can do without. Plus sliding out our plywood crates really isn't that difficult.

The window bags are good, but I've never felt the need for a sliding drawer.

We have two crates, two trays, a double 907 gas box, four stackable plastic drawers and a stove all fitting perfectly below the level of the multiflex. With those and the window bags we can pack everything we could possibly need for a three week European road trip.

View attachment 54642

With the crates, trays and drawers all packed, loading and unloading the boot takes seconds.

View attachment 54643

All that goes above the multiflex is the mattress, bedding and awning.
Where do you pack water?

Where do you pack water?
The boys' bicycle water bottles go in the left side next to the bench seat, the dog's water goes in a spill-free bowl on the floor. Clare and I have an Ikea 0.5l bottle each in the dash drinks holders, and we have two 1.5 litre Sigg bottles which can go in our doors or on the left behind the front passenger seat. If there is space, we may also have water in the fridge. When camping we have an 8 litre collapsible container that goes on the kitchen table either in the awning or under the awning porch.

Photo-04-08-2017-16-05-53.jpg

Boys' bottles

416HWJRTOTL._SY355_.jpg

Meg's bowl

ikea-365--water-bottle-blue__0711280_PE728118_S5.JPG

Ikea bottle

61Mb2zxwtML._SL1500_.jpg

Sigg bottle

1_c8096c25-b940-4af2-b660-7ffee7b502b5_720x.jpg

Collapsible water carrier

Thanks for accepting us on this forum! Collecting our new Beach next week having thought about it for......too long! Will be reviewing these pages to see what accessories are must haves!
Welcome M to this great forum, The Beach is a very versatile piece of kit, I still smile each trip out.:cheers

The window bags are good, but I've never felt the need for a sliding drawer.

We have two crates, two trays, a double 907 gas box, four stackable plastic drawers and a stove all fitting perfectly below the level of the multiflex. With those and the window bags we can pack everything we could possibly need for a three week European road trip.

View attachment 54642

With the crates, trays and drawers all packed, loading and unloading the boot takes seconds.

View attachment 54643

All that goes above the multiflex is the mattress, bedding and awning.
Hi Amarillo - Van now arrived, name not decided! Just studying your packing format before going to Ikea. Have you extended the multiplex? If so what does the extension rest on and do you take this out for bed mode?

Hello MDymott,
The Beach is what you want it to be and it doesn't have to be the same thing every day. These vehicles are so flexible and there doesn't seem to be anything they cannot do well.

We are now on our second seven seat Beach after first having had an SE 4 motion. Nothing wrong with the SE but the Beach is a way better vehicle for our circumstances. We have played around with various storage solutions after numerous trips away and some time ago we arrived at this fomula:

1. Van Essa window bags. These are brilliant and can contain everything from your smalls, clothes, head torches, toiletries, heater remote control etc etc and all accessible without getting out of bed. They do not restrict interior space or vision out when driving. They are ideal for touring.

2. Pull out tray. As Calikev has already said, "the pull out boot drawer is a game changer for me". You have instant access to every thing in the boot. No more grovelling in the dark depths of the sub flexiboard boot whilst kneeling on wet grass. And the best news of all, the shop now sells them. We have ours fitted all year round complete with every thing we need for picnics and trips away.
20181123_134557.jpg
3. Waeco/Dometic CFX35 litre fridge/freezer. Superb piece of kit and ideal for touring. It's quiet, capacious, portable, runs on 12v or 240V and it doesn't use much power. Unlike the unit in the Coast and Ocean it can be used as a freezer.

4. Auer Euro boxes. These provide modular storage for everything we need including cooking stove and kitchen equipment.

Good luck with your choices.

Hi Amarillo - Van now arrived, name not decided! Just studying your packing format before going to Ikea. Have you extended the multiplex? If so what does the extension rest on and do you take this out for bed mode?

Under the bed/original multiflex will fit the following:
2 plywood crates
1 double 907 gas box between the crates
4 Muji drawers (2 x 24cm, 1 x 30cm, 1 x 18cm
1 double burner Cadac cooker between the two sets of two Muji drawers

With the bed in bench seat mode I have two plywood trays sitting on top of the plywood crates and a 150cm x 38cm x 18mm plywood folding table resting on top of the crates.

All I need to remove from the lower boot space to make the bed is the table and two trays.

The long narrow table can be used stand alone as a kitchen work surface, or the legs can be folded in and it can sit on the plywood trays which sit on the Muji drawers for a very handy and stable entire kitchen and workspace unit.

I can take some photos on Tuesday if you like and the weather is OK.

Amarillo
That’s fantastic, thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I will definitely use this approach! Thanks

Hello MDymott,
The Beach is what you want it to be and it doesn't have to be the same thing every day. These vehicles are so flexible and there doesn't seem to be anything they cannot do well.

We are now on our second seven seat Beach after first having had an SE 4 motion. Nothing wrong with the SE but the Beach is a way better vehicle for our circumstances. We have played around with various storage solutions after numerous trips away and some time ago we arrived at this fomula:

1. Van Essa window bags. These are brilliant and can contain everything from your smalls, clothes, head torches, toiletries, heater remote control etc etc and all accessible without getting out of bed. They do not restrict interior space or vision out when driving. They are ideal for touring.

2. Pull out tray. As Calikev has already said, "the pull out boot drawer is a game changer for me". You have instant access to every thing in the boot. No more grovelling in the dark depths of the sub flexiboard boot whilst kneeling on wet grass. And the best news of all, the shop now sells them. We have ours fitted all year round complete with every thing we need for picnics and trips away.
View attachment 54861
3. Waeco/Dometic CFX35 litre fridge/freezer. Superb piece of kit and ideal for touring. It's quiet, capacious, portable, runs on 12v or 240V and it doesn't use much power. Unlike the unit in the Coast and Ocean it can be used as a freezer.

4. Auer Euro boxes. These provide modular storage for everything we need including cooking stove and kitchen equipment.

Good luck with your choices.