Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LifePo4 Upgrade T4 Leisure Battery (Exclusive)

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Has anyone on here upgraded the leisure battery in an exclusive to LifePo4?

I've been looking at older threads to replace the original battery like-for-like with the Exide ES1600. I can get that in Norway these days for about £400 and would fit straight in.

I'm interested in this new LifePo4 tech and the space and weight a like-for-like battery would give. It's the expense that's offputting at the moment. As far as I've learned so far I'd need to ditch the old charge relay for a DC-DC converter. The charging temperatures for LifePo4 might be on the limit to where we are in Northern Norway which is what ruined my old battery. I've read some have their own internal heaters but how does that work leaving it for weeks on end?

If its too much chew, then I'll stick with the tried and tested gel ES1600.

Cheers
Matt

Has anyone on here upgraded the leisure battery in an exclusive to LifePo4?

I've been looking at older threads to replace the original battery like-for-like with the Exide ES1600. I can get that in Norway these days for about £400 and would fit straight in.

I'm interested in this new LifePo4 tech and the space and weight a like-for-like battery would give. It's the expense that's offputting at the moment. As far as I've learned so far I'd need to ditch the old charge relay for a DC-DC converter. The charging temperatures for LifePo4 might be on the limit to where we are in Northern Norway which is what ruined my old battery. I've read some have their own internal heaters but how does that work leaving it for weeks on end?

If its too much chew, then I'll stick with the tried and tested gel ES1600.

Cheers
Matt
I’m no expert but there are some knowledgeable folk here:-

Cheers Lad,

That's an interesting post. It's the low-temperature charging that puts me off. It was -26 the other day here. I need to do some more digging.

The EF Delta 2 with LiFePO4 tech is recommended to keep above -10C to avoid damage. It was -9C in Hannover yesterday so I turned on the parking heater to raise the temp inside the Cali. Luckily it's in a garage so wind chill is reduced. In Norway you would need a battery with a heating function. That adds more cost but I assume still doable.

Thanks for the details all.

In the end, I think it's a step too far with cold conditions and the risk of ruining it seems to great for now. I was able to get the like-for-like battery through the garage a live on top of. Weighs a ton!

53470412313_b5c54aa3bf_c.jpg

53470742489_e3d8b51ed1_c.jpg

That was the old one. I thought it was the original Sonnerschein battery but It turns out it's been changed by the previous owner which isn't surprising. I left it sat a few times on a recon charge but it was still showing one duff cell. Never mind!

53462126103_9d5efe67fe_c.jpg

53461071442_1caa916e80_c.jpg

Back