Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Limited Mileage Policies - how is mileage measured

beardie

beardie

I have just had an ‘interesting discussion’ with my insurance company regarding how they determine the mileage you have covered over a year. They didn’t ask for a mileage when I took out the policy and as I was approaching what I though the limit may be I wanted to know how they determined this.

Their initial response was that they calculated an average based on that recorded on the MOT.

First problem - my van is under 3 yrs old and hasn’t had an MOT

They then said they would use the average based on service records.

My van has had just one service, and they aren’t needed them on an annual basis so that’s difficult

They then indicated that they would divide total mileage by the age of vehicle.

This is where it gets a bit worrying as each year isn’t always the same and you may have done under the limit one year but the insurance company determine you have exceeded it. Not an argument you want to have during a claim.

The only safe solution is to either go for an unlimited mileage or significantly in excess of what you do to be sure you are covered.

I did write down the mileage at the beginning of my policy but would have no way of proving this if I was asked.

Any experiences??

Good point I am with comfort limited to 6k per year but they never asked me either.
Strange

Decided in the end that as the policy was almost up that I would take out a new policy (not with comfort this time) rather than pay the extra £50 they wanted for the next mileage band)

Safeguard are cheaper for higher mileage (their policies are unlimited mileage) if you need the AA cover. Their website says no commuting cover, but did add this when I called them.

Now just need to cancel the old policy so I don't have two policies in force at the same time.

I have a limited mileage policy for one of my cars and had to fill out a form with the mileage on and sign it, seems logical and mine can be checked against MOT's etc...Surprised you didn't have to declare the mileage in writing when you were taking the policy out to start with.

Thanks

My policy is limited mileage on the Cali with Comfort and I didn't need to declare (as it is, I have always come in under the 8k annual limit so far anyway). Thinking about it, I've had a few limited mileage policies over the years and have never declared mileage...