Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mileage Restrictions

Lloydfred

Lloydfred

2010 2.0 140ps California SE Fresco Green
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

As a fairly new Cali owner I decided to shop around for my insurance. One company that offered what appeared to be a competitive quote was Onesure. I went through all the usual questions, one of which was how many miles per anum are you expecting to use the Cali. I replied, "i'm not sure I guess between 4-6K a year as it's not my main driver". All seemed fine and to top it off I got a euro 90 day brake down recovery deal for £77 per annum.

Policy accepted and looking forward to life in the Cali. I then two weeks later received a letter from Onesure asking me to sign a declaration that I will not exceed my millage or my insurance will be void.

I obviously called today to point out that at no point was I informed about this strict millage restriction. I was informed that if I wanted to upgrade to 6 or 8K annual milles the policy cost would have been the same but now to alter the policy the cost would rise by £86 I felt this was unfair as I hadn't been informed of the restriction prior to taking out the policy. I also felt it was unfair that I was only issued the restriction paperwork after the cool off period. If I don't sign and accept the restriction my insurance could be canceled at my cost.

Not happy!

I won’t be going to them for a quote
Did you try Comfort insurance?
If it’s to good to be true than I guess it is

I was quoted for fully comprehensive insurance many years ago which was to good to be true!
I paid the premium,it wasn’t till I made a claim I was told by the broker I paid for a third party insurance! :headbang

Bunch of w**kers, the lot of em. I spoke to that adrian flux
guy asking for a policy. The quote was 360, when i said that
heritage had given me a quote for 80 ( they hadn´t ) the price
came down to 160, i took it.
It did the job for me. ( it was a classic car not a cali )
Between the taxman and insurance blaggers i don´t quite know
which i love the most.

When I took out the insurance when asked about mileage i did ask about cost differences and there was none so took unlimited. I've always assumed it was cheaper to say "under 10,000" but it seems now as if that's a back door route to charging more if you go over your prediction.

They really should have made you aware of that. That's a sneaky tatic by them, defo complain!

I want out of the policy and I'm sure they will hit me with a cancellation percentage.

Mileage was a big issue for us especially this year as we plan to do six weeks in Italy, the best deal was Safeguard for us as they offered us unlimited mileage and European travel.

Do you not have a legal right to cancel in 14 days under distance selling rules? I don't know if this applies to buying insurance over the phone.

I felt this was unfair as I hadn't been informed of the restriction prior to taking out the policy.
Surley you agreed your miles when you got your original quote of of between 4 and 6k and your price was quoted for the risk. Increasing your miles has changed your risk and thus your policy cost. Otherwise we would all say we do 6k a year and then 2 weeks later and want to add more miles for free. Whatever "onesure" is like as a insurance compancy I think you can't moan at getting extra cover for paying no more.

Do you not have a legal right to cancel in 14 days under distance selling rules? I don't know if this applies to buying insurance over the phone.

looking at the orriginal post think it is over 2 weeks since the policy started

Surley you agreed your miles when you got your original quote of of between 4 and 6k and your price was quoted for the risk. Increasing your miles has changed your risk and thus your policy cost. Otherwise we would all say we do 6k a year and then 2 weeks later and want to add more miles for free. Whatever "onesure" is like as a insurance compancy I think you can't moan at getting extra cover for paying no more.

I was asked what my millage was likely to be an estimate. I have two other VW cars and when I take a policy I'm asked to estimate millage, but I've never been asked to sign a declaration or held to my estimate.

My Comfort policy summary letter states the mileage that the policy is based on, which is that I agreed over the phone when taking out the insurance. I'm sure that in the event of a claim they could/would want to see the MOT history, which would give annual mileage.

Hi all,

As a fairly new Cali owner I decided to shop around for my insurance. One company that offered what appeared to be a competitive quote was Onesure. I went through all the usual questions, one of which was how many miles per anum are you expecting to use the Cali. I replied, "i'm not sure I guess between 4-6K a year as it's not my main driver". All seemed fine and to top it off I got a euro 90 day brake down recovery deal for £77 per annum.

Policy accepted and looking forward to life in the Cali. I then two weeks later received a letter from Onesure asking me to sign a declaration that I will not exceed my millage or my insurance will be void.

I obviously called today to point out that at no point was I informed about this strict millage restriction. I was informed that if I wanted to upgrade to 6 or 8K annual milles the policy cost would have been the same but now to alter the policy the cost would rise by £86 I felt this was unfair as I hadn't been informed of the restriction prior to taking out the policy. I also felt it was unfair that I was only issued the restriction paperwork after the cool off period. If I don't sign and accept the restriction my insurance could be canceled at my cost.

Not happy!

Ask for written company proof that it would cost £86

Called them again today and further explained I took out the policy out on the 20th of October to start on the 22nd. The letter with the declaration was sent by then on the 2nd of November.

If I want to cancel the policy it will cost me circa £180 in cancellation fees. Or pay to have my millage allowance increased. I also pointed out that I had received texts from them from the 22nd - circa the 6th of November telling me that I needed to provide information on my policy. However every time I called them I was informed the policy was up to date and in place and I should ignore the texts. Also they have an online portal that wasn't working.

I'm planning to get all the relevant info together and write them a letter complaint. If they don't resolve I'll take it too the FCA.

Called them again today and further explained I took out the policy out on the 20th of October to start on the 22nd. The letter with the declaration was sent by then on the 2nd of November.

If I want to cancel the policy it will cost me circa £180 in cancellation fees. Or pay to have my millage allowance increased. I also pointed out that I had received texts from them from the 22nd - circa the 6th of November telling me that I needed to provide information on my policy. However every time I called them I was informed the policy was up to date and in place and I should ignore the texts. Also they have an online portal that wasn't working.

I'm planning to get all the relevant info together and write them a letter complaint. If they don't resolve I'll take it too the FCA.

I’m presuming you wish to cancel the policy as you will be going over your original estimate of 4-6 thousand miles ?

Mike

I’m presuming you wish to cancel the policy as you will be going over your original estimate of 4-6 thousand miles ?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'd like them to acknowledge that I was not informed of the declaration or that I would be held to my prediction, even though I told them it was only a guess. At that stage they should of told me my estimate was binding and I would of increased it at no cost.

I want them to resolve the issue and not just dismiss the issue.

I saw something on TV the other night. Sorry my details will be wishy washy (Needed to get that one in this time of year :D) but the gist of it was......
That a contract that you have signed is only binding if it's fair.
So what constitutes fair?
That the service it claims to provide is delivered. Any short comings that are stated in the contract and not provided render that the contract is not fair.

In your particular case, I'd say you have been miss sold the contract when you were asked about your milage. Had you been informed at the time that increasing the milage you stated (within reason) would cost you no more, then its clear you would have ensured giving them a more manageable figure just to rid yourself of the need to watch your milage.
Instead, they never made you aware of this at the time now want more money for the pleasure.

So,
As the milage restriction declaration they wanted you to sign 2 weeks after was not mentioned during the time you were taking the policy out its both miss sold and an unfair contract in my book.
Being more cautious with that 2nd point, is it possible the rigidity of the restriction was on the stuff you were given at the time? even in small print?

Regardless, I would be telling someone as high up the chain as I could contact that you were not made aware of the fact you could increase your estimate without increasing the premium and nobody told you it would matter if you exceeded the amount slightly.

Both of these points represent poor service. It may be a honest over sight by your rep or a lack of understanding of the policy the rep sold you (lack of training). Either way it should not cost you.
Tell them you expect them to pay the £86 or cancel the policy at their cost.

My Comfort policy summary letter states the mileage that the policy is based on, which is that I agreed over the phone when taking out the insurance. I'm sure that in the event of a claim they could/would want to see the MOT history, which would give annual mileage.
I think that with the advent of electronically recorded MOT's they can go online to check that figure. Probably can access the service history as well. Big Brother is here.

I feel you believe that your policy when you 1st took it out was going to be the same if you got a quote for cover up to 6k would be the same as the updated policy of up to 8k, Insurance is about risk and to work out an accurate cost your insurance provider needs to know as much as possible about you and your risk. Most providers also charge you every time make a admin charge every time they make a charge to your policy so I expect your increase of £86 is part for admin and part for the extra 2k miles insured, that is not a lot per mile. ( I would expect a large % is admin)
I would bite the bullet and use my van for those extra miles and enjoy it. Having had a 6k of rear damage done on our van in Sept 15 and managed very well my our company I would say finding a "rated specalist campervan" insurance provider is far better than going for what may be the best price.

I think that with the advent of electronically recorded MOT's they can go online to check that figure. Probably can access the service history as well. Big Brother is here.
Just had my car MOT and they'd misread the mileage so my certificate was showing 3k miles lower than actual. Which could have presented problems with my next years insurance given I have a pretty low "agreed mileage".
The garage reissued the MOT.

Umm, they have a duty of care to you, not you to them. When the policy started on 22 Oct, were you in possession of the contract? What did it state. They have recorded the conversation; ask to hear it back wherein they ok'd the mileage. They have changed the terms and conditions of your policy without offer cancellation. Challenge them; stop the direct debit until they can prove it. Tell them you'll see them in court with the recorded conversation they have to bring. You are up against a group of millenial know it alls who probably still live with mummie. "PROVE IT" is the most powerful phrase going.

I feel you believe that your policy when you 1st took it out was going to be the same if you got a quote for cover up to 6k would be the same as the updated policy of up to 8k, Insurance is about risk and to work out an accurate cost your insurance provider needs to know as much as possible about you and your risk. Most providers also charge you every time make a admin charge every time they make a charge to your policy so I expect your increase of £86 is part for admin and part for the extra 2k miles insured, that is not a lot per mile. ( I would expect a large % is admin)
I would bite the bullet and use my van for those extra miles and enjoy it. Having had a 6k of rear damage done on our van in Sept 15 and managed very well my our company I would say finding a "rated specalist campervan" insurance provider is far better than going for what may be the best price.

This is really simple, when I was asked if I could provide my annual estimate (and the key word here is "estimate") I was then NOT told at that point my estimate was binding! I would of enquired as to the cost of a larger millage allowance. I also informed the agent at this point I wasn't sure as it was my first camper and I guess it's somewhere between 4-6k miles.

At this point to increases my allowance was a zero increase to the cost of the policy. Furthermore if I was told I had to sign a declaration and if I exceeded the estimate my insurance was voided, I'm pretty sure I would of enquired to increasing my millage allowance.

The agent failed to inform me that I couldn't increase my millage allowance at a later date. However more importantly the declaration dropped through the letter box after my cool off period leaving me no other option but to alter the police at my cost.

This is not best practice in my opinion.

Last edited:
This is really simple, when I was asked if I could provide my annual estimate (and the key word here is "estimate") I was then NOT told at that point my estimate was binding! I would of enquired as to the cost of a larger millage allowance. I also informed the agent at this point I wasn't sure as it was my first camper and I guess it's somewhere between 4-6k miles.

At this point to increases my allowance was a zero increase to the cost of the policy. Furthermore if I was told I had to sign a declaration and if I exceeded the estimate my insurance was voided, I'm pretty sure I would of enquired to increasing my millage allowance.

The agent failed to inform me that I couldn't increase my millage allowance at a later date. However more importantly the declaration dropped through the letter box after my cool off period leaving me no other option but to alter the police at my cost.

This is not best practice in my opinion.

Are you sure you popped in to an insurance brokers and not a betting shop? They sound like a bunch of spivs.

Comfort have mileage restrictions, are quite clear about them and for me to have unlimited mileage instead of 8k is £20 a year. All that was spelled out to me in one of those laborious half-hour long "part of FCA requirements, this conversation is being recorded and we will end up in the gulag" presentations.

Back