Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Listers-In warranty charging

DJE

DJE

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Just wondering if any else has had a similar Dealer experience or is this the new norm.
I’m leaving out the specific details in order to keep the post short
2018 Ocean was booked in for a couple of issues through a Listers dealer that have always been great unfortunately Covid hit so they rebooked for when they returned which was all fine with me I wasn’t in a rush so worked around when ever they wanted to take a look
One of the issues was that the fridge was barely chilling,
Next day on collecting the vehicle the service receptionist which I have great sympathy for informed me no faults found “that’ll be 2 hour labour diagnostics charge “!!! Even though it’s in warranty. along discussion followed as to why I’m being charged for a fault that they can’t find and to be honest my gut feeling was that they didn’t even take a look but that’s a longer story but still we’re insisting on payment , poor receptionist went to and from service manager who didn’t want to come and talk my take on this was if charges are due the £160 to use a thermometer is a little excessive ! End result was after much discussion that neither of us wanted the charges were dropped I went home measured with my own thermometer in formed them of widely different results to theirs and was told I needed to re book but £70 per hour charge was applicable, so... booked in to Birmingham with my stats they confirmed fridge fault and ordered/ fitted new unit next day !!! What a different experience 5 Stars to Birmingham

My van went into Listers a few weeks back. I was told similar, but 100% knew the fault was there and it was sorted under warranty.
I was still a little annoyed to hear, that if they couldn’t find a fault, I would be charged...

On a separate occasion Listers again.
The van was booked in, for them to look at some faults.
I remember one was the awning, which was to be replaced under warranty. Another fault was pads and discs. Chargeable.

They gave me a price over the phone and I thought that’s not to bad, I told them to carry out the work.
On collection the bill for pads and discs had increased from £180 to £450...!!!

As you can imagine, my mood turned and I queried the charge.
Turns out the service guy had quoted me the price that Listers charge Volkswagen for the work under warranty.

After a lot of calm arguing. They agreed to listen to our phone call, which they apparently record.
After about an hour of this, they dropped the price to what we agreed over the phone.

What did I learn.
1 - Get everything in writing before works commence.
2 - Find a good local independent
3 - I’m not a fan of Listers, period.
Had far to many bad experiences with them over many many years.

I’m guessing Listers charge Volkswagen £180 and still make a profit on that. Customers pay far more and it actually demonstrates how much they rip customers off.

Anyway.
My van won’t be going back to a main dealer unless I have an issue my local garage can’t sort...

My van went into Listers a few weeks back. I was told similar, but 100% knew the fault was there and it was sorted under warranty.
I was still a little annoyed to hear, that if they couldn’t find a fault, I would be charged...

I remember one was the awning, which was to be replaced under warranty. Another fault was pads and discs. Chargeable.

They gave me a price over the phone and I thought that’s not to bad, I told them to carry out the work.

Turns out the service guy had quoted me the price that Listers charge Volkswagen for the work under warranty.

After a lot of calm arguing. They agreed to listen to our phone call, which they apparently record.
After about an hour of this, they dropped the price to what we agreed over the phone.

What did I learn.

I’m guessing Listers charge Volkswagen £180 and still make a profit on that. Customers pay far more and it actually demonstrates how much they rip customers off.

Anyway.
My van won’t be going back to a main dealer unless I have an issue my local garage can’t sort...
Agreed that charging system gives them open season to charge and no incentive to find or spend time diagnosing many examples of vans having to go back for further diagnostics & now we have to pick up the bill in warranty , I’m voting with my feet and will be using a non listers dealer such as Birmingham from now on

What did I learn.

Anyway.
Twice within a year or so I’ve been able to produce emails confirming price quoted and works done by VW would not affect my warranty. So I now ask for everything in writing up front, including what work is planned, for both their and my protection.

Back