Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Living area lights

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Apologies if this has already been posted (have searched forum and google)

Is there a way to get living area lights to come on with the front courtesy lights on 2017 VW california Ocean, when doors are opened

If thats the strip light under the kitchen tops?
I think you push the button on the side of the kitchen behind the passenger seat twice to change it from camping mode to driving mode so it behaves the same as the lights in the cab.
Incase I have got that a bit wrong it's in the supplement with the manuals.
But I don't imagine you can do that with the others.

Last edited:
It only works on the strip of lights under the counter top and you have to press the on switch twice in quick succession when you open the door and the front courtesy lights are on.
I can't make it work on any of the others though.

I like them.
It's a nice ambient touch and they do serve a purpose in terms of cosy lighting which is adjustable in brightness to suit the mood. If they can be retro fitted with VW parts thats great if not a simialr effect can be customised as per @CaliforniaCamping video with roof lights.

We like them as well. As @2020 freedom says they are a cosy lighting unlike the ceiling lights which are much brighter.
They are also very useful for looking in the drawer. The lights in the ceiling cast a shadow over most of the drawer when its open, but the lights under the edge of the worktop are perfect.

If thats the strip light under the kitchen tops?
I think you push the button on the side of the kitchen behind the passenger seat twice to change it from camping mode to driving mode so it behaves the same as the lights in the cab.
Incae I have got that a bit wrong it's in the supplement with the manuals.
Bout I don't imagine you can do that with the others.
I don' have strip light under kitchen top, just the five overhead lights, three above sink unit and two either side of the sliding door,
Any way I can get one or all of these to come on as a courtesy lights
California ocean build early 2017

Had anyone with a 2016 Ocean worked out a way for a habitation light to come on and off with the courtesy lights

Noticed this thread whilst searcing so bringing it back to life !

I have a question about this lighting. In my 2018 ocean the LED strip under the kitchen panels seems to have 2 modes. The first, camping mode, works as it should. Turn it on and off and can change brightness through holding the button down.

The second mode seems to do nothing (driving mode). I press the button twice and it flashes twice and then the light is just off. If you press the switch to turn it on nothing happens, doors open, locked, shut etc - just nothing. My understanding was that his mode would mean that the strip light should come on when you unlocked the car etc, same as the lights in the front cabin.

In the manual it mentions something about the setting also being controlled from the overhead control panel but there is nothing I can see in the control panel for this.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Noticed this thread whilst searcing so bringing it back to life !

I have a question about this lighting. In my 2018 ocean the LED strip under the kitchen panels seems to have 2 modes. The first, camping mode, works as it should. Turn it on and off and can change brightness through holding the button down.

The second mode seems to do nothing (driving mode). I press the button twice and it flashes twice and then the light is just off. If you press the switch to turn it on nothing happens, doors open, locked, shut etc - just nothing. My understanding was that his mode would mean that the strip light should come on when you unlocked the car etc, same as the lights in the front cabin.

In the manual it mentions something about the setting also being controlled from the overhead control panel but there is nothing I can see in the control panel for this.

Anyone got any ideas ?
Check that you have the internal light rocker switch by the overhead control panel set to be on for when the doors open. You have potentially turned it off for camping in which case you will have the symptoms you describe.

Yeah it's on as the two lights next to it come on when doors opened etc.

Tried it so many times, just doesnt seem to work. Very odd !

Yeah it's on as the two lights next to it come on when doors opened etc.

Tried it so many times, just doesnt seem to work. Very odd !
A couple of us have had problems with this light, it should come on in driving mode when you open the door. Mine had a mind of its own, and was repaired under warranty. It may be the control module or the wiring.

It might just be mine that does this, but I noticed that the under-kitchen strip light would slowly flash continously when the van was locked and the light was in non-camping mode.
I was going to take it to VW, but have since discovered that it does this when the alarm is set to disable the interior sensor (which we do with the roof popped or on a ferry).

So it seems that :
roof-popped + camping mode + half alarm = fine
roof-popped + camping mode + full alarm = fine (as long as it doesn't go off accidentally)
roof down + non camping mode + full alarm = fine
roof down + non camping mode + half alarm = not fine and it will flash, presumably to warn you ?

Be interested if anyone else has seen this.

Mark

Late 2017 ocean. Recently kitchen area strip light ‘stuck’ in driving mode. Comes on fine when doors opened and goes off when doors shut & van locked but can’t change setting back to camping mode! Anyone got any ideas? Pushing top button twice does nothing..

I guess you have pushed the button twice in 'quick succession' but just worth mentioning.

Back