Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Living room / kitchen lights stay on

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Still learning about our new ocean.

Our demonstration at handover was confused around the issue of the lights in the living area coming on and off in various modes. We just thought that we were being slow and would sort it out afterwards.

However, Mrs Acer sat in the van with the manual out for half an hour today trying to sort out why the living room lights keep coming on when we don’t want them to.

She’s using the control panel to activate camping mode. Then, when we open a door the lights in the kitchen don’t come on. This is good. But, then when we start the van again, the computer forgets that we don’t want the kitchen lights to come on.

As our daily drive it seems wrong to have to put up with the kitchen lights coming on every time we stop and exit the van. We don’t want to run down the leisure battery.

Are we doing something wrong? Or, do we have a fault?

She’s using the control panel to activate camping mode. Then, when we open a door the lights in the kitchen don’t come on. This is good. But, then when we start the van again, the computer forgets that we don’t want the kitchen lights to come on.

As our daily drive it seems wrong to have to put up with the kitchen lights coming on every time we stop and exit the van. We don’t want to run down the leisure battery.

This is working as expected. When you start the engine again, camping mode is canceled (you’re not camping anymore clearly if you’re driving away) so the lights start working as they would in any car. Whenever you open a door, the interior lights come on, both at the front and at the rear of the van. Just like they would in any other car - lights come on for both the front and the rear passengers.

Still learning about our new ocean.

Our demonstration at handover was confused around the issue of the lights in the living area coming on and off in various modes. We just thought that we were being slow and would sort it out afterwards.

However, Mrs Acer sat in the van with the manual out for half an hour today trying to sort out why the living room lights keep coming on when we don’t want them to.

As above, but the switches by the interior windscreen mirror, below/behind Camping Control Panel can modify this behaviour.

If your main concern is running down the battery, I wouldn't worry.
The interior lighting is LED and the current draw will be very small.
The battery setup is capable of running the fridge for several days without going flat. The fridge will use considerably more power than the lighting.

Thanks all. I had expected some sort of override function to be available. I think that I preferred my old 2015 SE set-up that meant using the individual light switches.

Mrs Acer found the switches by the interior windscreen mirror, but couldn’t get them to solve the kitchen light issue described above. We’ll have another go later.

(By the way, it amuses me that my phone just tried to autocorrect “Mrs” to “Wars”).

If your main concern is running down the battery, I wouldn't worry.
The interior lighting is LED and the current draw will be very small.
The battery setup is capable of running the fridge for several days without going flat. The fridge will use considerably more power than the lighting.
Good point. I don’t think the 2015 SE had LED did they? So, should my battery last longer in the new vehicle I wonder? Or, will all of the extra electrickery in the Ocean balance this out?

Good point. I don’t think the 2015 SE had LED did they? So, should my battery last longer in the new vehicle I wonder? Or, will all of the extra electrickery in the Ocean balance this out?
My 2014 has LED lights in the rear over kitchen and side door.

This is working as expected. When you start the engine again, camping mode is canceled (you’re not camping anymore clearly if you’re driving away) so the lights start working as they would in any car. Whenever you open a door, the interior lights come on, both at the front and at the rear of the van. Just like they would in any other car - lights come on for both the front and the rear passengers.
And, whether you have rear passengers or not. This is why I think that it would be nice to be able to make this adjustment. There are sooo many other adjustments that you can make in this fantastic vehicle, this one might not have been too difficult for them.

Back