Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Load rated wheels and tyres, what are our options?

B

Black.Sheep.Cali

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Recently ordered our GC680. 3.88t and with a rear axle rating of 2380kg. Looking for wheel and tyre packages but with wanting an AT/Swamper look not many options out there. Especially tyres.

What have you chose for aftermarket replacements?

I have looked at the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate, anyone ran these and your thoughts?

Thanks

Recently ordered our GC680. 3.88t and with a rear axle rating of 2380kg. Looking for wheel and tyre packages but with wanting an AT/Swamper look not many options out there. Especially tyres.

What have you chose for aftermarket replacements?

I have looked at the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate, anyone ran these and your thoughts?

Thanks
we have those tyres and seem good and not got our 4motion stuck yet, even on muddy grassy wet farm tracks .stable on wet roads. Not tried in snow

I haven’t found a wheel I like yet, but I did swap to BFG tyres today. They are load rated to 1360kg and fit well on the OEM alloys. Also enough capacity if I want to up plate the van at some point.

View attachment 124915
I have contacted Navis wheels who can do a one off set of forged wheels based on their navis gelida-at design which is what I contacted them about. These would be rated for the GC680

IMG_5425.jpeg

I haven’t found a wheel I like yet, but I did swap to BFG tyres today. They are load rated to 1360kg and fit well on the OEM alloys. Also enough capacity if I want to up plate the van at some point.

View attachment 124915
Did you opt for the 245/70/17 size? Any issues with rubbing or speedo being out by much?

IMG_2755.jpegHere is ours mid-replacement of the OEM tyres with BFG KO2s. We’re also half way through up-plating to 4.4t. We’ve got the certificate and plate but haven’t sent off to the DVLA yet as we’re heading to France for a few weeks and didn’t want to be without the registration form.

View attachment 124952Here is ours mid-replacement of the OEM tyres with BFG KO2s. We’re also half way through up-plating to 4.4t. We’ve got the certificate and plate but haven’t sent off to the DVLA yet as we’re heading to France for a few weeks and didn’t want to be without the registration form.
Did you have to make any modifications, or was it a paper exercise?

We have 17" Kato's from Rogue alloys and BFG's. Required a bit of re-shaping (some heat and a bar) wheel liners on fronts and speedo now reads 2mph under rather than 2 mph under.

20240619_174117.jpg

View attachment 124952Here is ours mid-replacement of the OEM tyres with BFG KO2s. We’re also half way through up-plating to 4.4t. We’ve got the certificate and plate but haven’t sent off to the DVLA yet as we’re heading to France for a few weeks and didn’t want to be without the registration form.
so no suspension or axle modifications ? Do the front and rear axles get new updated ratings ? Guess each wheel already1200kg and tyre ratings to consider too
so that would limit rear weight to 2400kg ?

so no suspension or axle modifications ? Do the front and rear axles get new updated ratings ? Guess each wheel already1200kg and tyre ratings to consider too
so that would limit rear weight to 2400kg ?
Correct, no modifications at all. Ours is 4WD so not sure if this no-mods upplating only works for those with 4WD rear axle or all 680s. There was no change to the axle ratings, only to the total permitted van weight.

Back