Lockdown Pleasures

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
What thing do you do that actually gives you some pleasure during this awful time...?
Keep it clean people...;)

I think I would be lost without my coffee machine. It’s not an expensive fancy machine. I simple cheap bean grinder.
I top it up with Lavazza beans and it’s the one thing I really look forward to when waking up...

Tell me about the simple stuff that’s making you happy at the minute.
Soul
:cheers
9FB1E55C-0D24-4462-B123-F79D6D516486.jpeg

As part of renovating a dilapidated Victorian house which frankly nearly got the better of us we have completely landscaped the garden. With no builder and a shortage of some key materials we were able to order in the pond liner for wildlife pond 8 x 6 metre. It’s in and has transformed the garden. Toads we rescued had been hiding in some boulders and looking forward to seeing them and everything else discover it.

Mike

Good thread SSD.

Here's a few:

1. Walking in our local woods has taken on a whole new dimension. No distant road noise, no aircraft noise, no condensation trails across the blue sky. Instead glorious spring time birdsong with no competition for once.

2. Not looking after our grandchildren and being confined to barracks has lifted the frustration that I've felt for a very long time. Now I can get on with all the DIY work that has been backing up for longer than I care to remember. Also, when I put tools down I know they will still be in the same place when I need them again. Mind you, I've really missed not seeing the little monkeys.

3. Having a cleared diary.

4. Having no visitors. I love seeing people and they are always very welcome but it is nice, just for a change, to know that you can start a job and follow it through without any chance of interruption.

5. Using up all that stuff that lurks at the back of the freezer.

6. Not being allowed into Sainsbury's (only one person at a time allowed and that's not my department).

7. Total silence outside at night. We live in the country and it's always pretty quite but it's now deliciously silent.

8. People appearing more friendly.

The sense of guilt isn't nice though. Despite doing our bit by staying at home, these simple pleasures are only possible due to the scale of suffering and loss of life by others less fortunate during this unique period.

Great thread! [mention]soulstyledevon [/mention]! Here are ours:
Walking
a6af5f767908ab1377886c934fb82c81.jpg

Duplo:
735e359fccfa5ebef1d6b97519adc50c.jpg

More Duplo:
dea97738c05c82db577bea7e62c1fce7.jpg

Duplo filmingYT vids for my student‘s/pupils
67dd7792b10d3a7fe11d793d7549d9fc.jpg

Yoga:
a24248c52445a7a7fe55ac3c44e424a4.jpg

Watching trees bloom:
5e8ed7e8e18dc0bfda0fdccd731bca72.jpg

Happy Saturday everyone!

Seriously,

Should a rainy day ever arrive (an incredible thing to say after the six months September to February) I am investing in jig saw puzzles

@sapto

Are you guys under the same sort of lockdown over there...?
I follow another Flumserberg local on Instagram and he’s posted some nice pics. Just wondering if your lockdown is as extreme as ours...?

Last edited:
Made a doggy jumper and teaching myself cable knit for another one - my dogs don’t need or wear coats - but I’m having fun.

Yesterday I was shouting BANG and pointing two fingers at the dogs as I signed up to an online dog trick training course and we’re we’re teaching them the play dead.

It reminded me of a panto I was in in the early noughties where I played the village idiot (type cast), and had my pretend two finger gun which I claimed I got from the back of a cereal packet, when my ‘brother’ asked if it goes BANG, my line went “No, It goes Snap, Crackle and Pop” !

4B113DD8-A703-4608-B8F8-29D7272D031F.jpeg

0A839E55-1A0D-47BA-AFDD-EC383813C0C1.jpeg

Great thread :thumb We have been enjoying the quiet - no plane noise, no motorway noise, quiet roads for our daily cycle or walk. Clapping for the NHS every Thursday has been very emotional. Also I have been really appreciating that we have a decent sized house which means we get a bit of space from the kids(!) and also a garden to sit out in like never before.

fullsizeoutput_4fa0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4e47.jpeg

Friday afternoon (Thursday this week) virtual drinks after work with colleagues. Zoom with beer!

Friday afternoon (Thursday this week) virtual drinks after work with colleagues. Zoom with beer!

I tried to do that last night with some friends. But couldn’t hear properly with everyone trying to talk. So made my excuses and dialled out.
:)
I struggle at the best of times with large groups.

@sapto

Are you guys under the same sort of lockdown over there...?
I follow another Flumserberg local on Instagram and he’s posted some nice pics. Just wondering if you lockdown is as extreme as ours...?

Well, I guess Swiss people (we) are using the words: Shutdown and Lockdown the wrong way round. As far as I know it‘s recommended to stay at home unless you have to go to work or do some shopping (only „food shops“ are allowed to open incl farmer)
It is forbidden to gather with more than 5 person (except close family), when you are out try to have min distance of 2m to each other (for ex crossing or when working), some garages are open but they work in shifts and the showroom is closed.
Going for a walk, using the garden or for a short bike ride is okay (stay save).

For Easter local police is trying to keep people away from driving south (Canton Tessin/Vallis) and so far we‘d never seen so less cars in front of the Gotthard Tunnel.

Maybe I got it all wrong? What do other Swiss California owners do/think?

We try to stay at home, go for a walk or short bike ride. My wife is very brave (she‘s not working at the moment) and strict. Thanks to her I am able to some „hometeaching“.

Seriously,

Should a rainy day ever arrive (an incredible thing to say after the six months September to February) I am investing in jig saw puzzles
Don’t do it. Mrs gas spent the quiet moments over the last 3 weeks doing a 1000 peice jigsaw puzzle only to find there were 999 pieces. The phone call I received while I was at work was littered with expletives that even I had to look up and that’s saying something.

Don’t do it. Mrs gas spent the quiet moments over the last 3 weeks doing a 1000 peice jigsaw puzzle only to find there were 999 pieces. The phone call I received while I was at work was littered with expletives that even I had to look up and that’s saying something.

My Mother in law (My Mum as people would have known me talk about on here, a dear wonderful lady who passed away at the end of 2018), could babble for England.

She loved Jigsaws so every time she visited I would buy her one to keep her quiet. The only trouble was that even with failing eyesight she was still brilliant at doing them.

I ended up buying a 3,000 piece one of "Concorde Dashboard", and before giving it to her carefully opened it, removed 10 pieces and sealed it up again. Kept her quiet for ages :D

Last edited:
My Mother in law (My Mum as people would have known me talk about on here, a dear wonderful lady who passed away at the end of 2018), could babble for England.

She loved Jigsaws so every time she visited I would buy her one to keep her quiet. The only trouble was even with failing eyesight she was still brilliant at doing them.

I ended up buying a 3,000 piece one of "Concorde Dashboard", and before giving it to her carefully opened it, removed 10 pieces and sealed it up again. Kept her quiet for ages :D
Oh my god that’s one of the worst things I’ve ever heard someone confess to. But also one of the funniest

Lol...
Yes, I do struggle with hearing conversations. I think it’s my age...
And I’m only 41 :headbang
Maybe there might be another diagnosis.
I have the same, and I am not 38 yet.
I am quite highly sensitive, so I can't stand loud and high frequency noises. When in a bar or a party, and I am talking to persons, no problem. Once they turn on the music to a too high volume, and everyone is starting to shout, my ears just block everything, and all I hear is loud gibberish. Then it's time for me to go back home because I get irritated and can't take part to the conversations anymore.

I am quite highly sensitive, so I can't stand loud and high frequency noises. When in a bar or a party, and I am talking to persons, no problem. Once they turn on the music to a too high volume, and everyone is starting to shout, my ears just block everything, and all I hear is loud gibberish. Then it's time for me to go back home because I get irritated and can't take part to the conversations anymore.

What? Eh?

So I’m not the only one then TripleBee.
I have the exact same symptoms as you. I find myself nodding and smiling in a loud environment. People always look at me a bit strange. No idea what I might have been agreeing too...:talktothehand

It’s been a running joke for years, that come 10:30 I suddenly disappear. I learnt not to say anything otherwise people will pester you to stick around.
I usually schedule a toilet break around 10:30 ;)

So I’m not the only one then TripleBee.
I have the exact same symptoms as you. I find myself nodding and smiling in a loud environment. People always look at me a bit strange. No idea what I might have been agreeing too...:talktothehand

It’s been a running joke for years, that come 10:30 I suddenly disappear. I learnt not to say anything otherwise people will pester you to stick around.
I usually schedule a toilet break around 10:30 ;)

Sorry for my earlier glib attempt at humour, I realise now TripleBee probably finds his/her condition bloody annoying and socially limiting.

I'd strongly advise having a hearing test. Being unable to distinguish vocal sounds in a noisy environment is something an audiologist would find very common as a symptom.

I've worn hearing aids for about three years since a noise accident made a mess of my hearing on one side, although I was already getting typical age-related high frequency loss. The modern digital hearing aids are absolutely brilliant and getting better all the time.

Back