Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Forest trip

B

Brightonbelle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Here’s a quick report of our two night trip to the New Forest.
Day one Tuesday 19th July:
We spent much of yesterday deciding whether to do this trip due to the extreme heat. So glad we did as when we left West Sussex it was 37 degrees and when we arrived in the New Forest (mid afternoon) it was ten degrees lower!
We had an easy drive here stopping for lunch in Midhurst. For anyone travelling through there there is a large public car park as you enter the town (from Petworth direction). We continued to Go Outdoors Southampton as we wanted to pick up some items prior to our first festival trip at the weekend.
We arrived at Longmeadow Campsite at around 4pm. It’s a private site with grass and hard standing pitches situated between Brockenhurst and Lyndhurst. Our pitch is a hard standing pitch with electric hook up. Near to the solo shower and toilet/washing up
block. There is one other toilet block, a small site office and that’s it. It’s advantage is it’s lovely and peaceful and surrounded by the forest with lovely walks (ponies and deer to be seen). The site takes 100 bookings at capacity and I imagine the four showers each (for men and women) would be stretched!
Nice and quiet for our midweek stay, although we have the last hard standing pitch. Cost is £38 per night.
We drive straight off site and buy provisions in Brockenhurst as it was roof hot in Sussex. Then we go down to Lymington for drinks and a lovely walk overlooking the water. We enjoy watching the Isle of Wight ferries and lots of yachts and small boats at the marina. It’s beautiful there and we were pleased to be able to finish off with fresh fish in a local pub for supper - The Fisherman’s Rest Lymington.
We get back to Longmeadow and enjoy drinks outside Teabus before bed.
Day two, Wednesday 20th July:
We have a bit of a late start. Nice shower in the shower block. A bit old but clean. We pack up Teabus and set off for the day. Husband wants to visit the mortorcycle museum nearby. I get dropped off at Milford on Sea as I want to potter round the little shops. It’s a sweet little place and I enjoy buying some gifts and having coffee in a little coffee shop (Ray’s Italian deli). Husband picks me up and we go for lunch at the Cliff House restaurant at Barton on Sea. It’s a clear but slightly hazy day and we have a great view of the Isle of Wight and the Needles. More fresh fish here - seems like a great area for seafood.
It’s not too hot today and we’re delighted to be a bit cooler. Top temp about twenty four degrees.
We return to Longmeadow and relax with some wine. We cook mushrooms with garlic, olive oil and thyme in the new paella pan on the Cadac. Works a treat! Serve with steamed broccoli and a nice rare steak. Yummy.
We have an evening walk in the forest. It’s quite magical there and we are not far from a lovely group of ponies with a foal. We stand there for a while just watching them.
During the night husband (who sleeps at the top)is woken by deer chewing noisily! I don’t hear a thing!
Today we’ll pack up and go to Devon. It’s been a lovely couple of nights.

B48E213D-FAFF-4173-9A93-9B502D8CEDF7.jpeg

B036FBEF-F787-466E-B2DF-4C9D07C12C8A.jpeg

C9957D78-B6DA-4FE9-A45F-2E05493F2FBF.jpeg

1B95AA4D-210D-44DB-9A7D-A0C3EB4A3925.jpeg

66A92622-1EC5-468D-8C9F-96D301D0B1BB.jpeg

This should have been called the New Forest and Devon trip! We’ve just had lunch at the River Cottage cafe. I’ve always wanted to go there. Hugh Fearnly Wittingstall is a chef I’ve always liked. The cafe was amazing. I’ll do a separate review on TA. Husband chose mackerel and I had the lamb meatballs. Husband had gooseberry crumble and I just had tea. All very nice and reasonably priced. Recommend if in the area.