Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for help with earth shunt and leisure battery issues

S

Staxtoncali

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I am looking for an auto electrician who is experienced with the leisure electrics on the Cali, hopefully in the North Yorkshire area.

Our 2009 Cali I am pretty sure has had the earth shunt problem since we got it in 2010. Flickering of lights on heater startup, but it has never been an issue, so it has never been fixed. On a couple of occasions recently the "overload" warning has flashed up on the console, so it is time to get this sorted. Whilst I could probably fix this myself using the guide I would much rather pay someone who has done it before and has the experience to do it quickly and correctly.

I had also noticed that our leisure batteries were not lasting as long as they used to between charges and so a few weeks ago followed the instructions on changing batteries on another thread on this forum. All went fine and batteries suggested fitted ok. However, on their first proper road test this week we found the front battery was overheating when on charge (took quite a while to figure where the smell was coming from). The battery had become very very hot when on mains hookup, obviously we disconnected as soon as we realised but it also heated up when on engine charge as well (the 4 hour return journey home) Rear battery no problem. Anyone else have this issue?

Chris

First check the condition of the overheating battery. This, along with the short discharge time, may be a sign that one of more of the cells has broken down. If one battery is knackered, since they are linked together, all the power will be drawn from the good battery, hence the batteries are not lasting as long.