Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Caravelle or T6 Cali Ocean?

R

RonJue

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, purely seeking advice and/or opinions? Have a 2017 Caravelle Exec 150DSG, bought in Aug 18 for £33,800, and all geared up with awning rail, drive away awning, portapotti, grills etc...with huge bed in the Velle, comfy topped with Zempire self inflating mattresses. No pop top roof though!
Been offered £30K part-ex, plus another £30K cash, on a brand new Cali Ocean 199DSG, fully loaded.
From all your Cali owners, is this a good move? Will we regret handing over another £30K, or will it be a great experience and investment?
We started tent camping in the late 90’s, had 2 caravans from 2006 to 2017, then our Velle which we love for its multi-use. Will the Cali Ocean be the icing on the cake?
Views and comments appreciated.

It all depends on how you are camping.
If you are going to use all the equipment, I would say go for the Ocean.
If you just want the pop up roof for standing up, I'd say, keep the Velle.
But instead of the velle, you'd better have a Multivan so you can slide the 3 seat bench front and back for interior versatility. Your velle must have fixed seats in the back, am I right?

But instead of the velle, you'd better have a Multivan so you can slide the 3 seat bench front and back for interior versatility. Your velle must have fixed seats in the back, am I right?
Caravelle has the same 3 seat bench, on rails, as the Beach, plus up to two single rail mounted seats in the rear.
Popping a pop top into a Caravelle is problematic due to the air vents in the roof.
The exec has leather seats though?

Hi, thanks. Our Velle has a rear 3 seat bench and 2 mid swivel seats, all of which slide in the floor tracks/guides, and all removable if required. Main issue with our Velle is we can’t just pull up and have a coffee break stop when fully loaded up for a few days camping....coolbox, gas job etc not easily accessible. Also, rely on good weather for arrival at campsite, cus need to get gear out of Velle and get set up. Think Ocean will be more self-sufficient and flexible? Hope that all makes sense?

Caravelle has the same 3 seat bench, on rails, as the Beach, plus up to two single rail mounted seats in the rear.
Popping a pop top into a Caravelle is problematic due to the air vents in the roof.
The exec has leather seats though?
Yes, all correct. We have leather/ alcantara seats in our Velle, but so does the Ocean we can have.( included opt’l extra.

Yes, that makes sense, but you will loose a lot of storage room in daily driving mode and camping mode.
But you can stop and cook your dinner without needing to get all out of the van.

Yes, that makes sense, but you will loose a lot of storage room in daily driving mode and camping mode.
But you can stop and cook your dinner without needing to get all out of the van.
Yes totally agree....but grappling with £30K plus my Velle. Really pleased tbh with the small loss on our Velle (just over £3K in 2 years) but fear may lose significantly on a new Ocean, but like the first owner of the Velle lost near£20K in one year. Trying to forget the £‘s though and positively think of the years of enjoyment we can have from a Cali Ocean.

California's do not loose as quickly as other vehicles. Lots of threads about residuals on here.
Could you get more for the Caravelle selling out privately? Perhaps not the best time, but part ex prices really give you the best value.
Discounts on the new Cali too - look for up to 8%.

From what I can see the Multivan is sold in the UK with the Caravelle name, while the Caravelle in Europe is a less equipped people mover without the sliding rails, no folding bed/bench and less standard equipment.

From what I can see the Multivan is sold in the UK with the Caravelle name, while the Caravelle in Europe is a less equipped people mover without the sliding rails, no folding bed/bench and less standard equipment.
Correct. Caravelle in Europe is sold as Transporter Shuttle in the UK

Just for keeping all simple and easy?

The Ocean market is strong at the moment but what it will be like in 6 months to a year is anyone's guess but if your in your Cali for the long haul residuals should be fine. The question is will you get more enjoyment out of the new van compared to what you have now also you will get a chunk of the 30k back on resale.

You already have half of a beach, to upgrade to full one wouldn't
be much more, probably 8k
so the question is,
is the cooker, fridge, sink and wardrobe worth an extra 22k

Hi RonJue

Only you can decide if you want to part with £30k of your hard earned.

Asking a bunch of confirmed Cali Nuts, if you are making the right decision, is like asking an alcoholic if he like alcohol!
But I do understand your soul searching ?

For what it’s worth, Having had a Carvalle (T5), a T5.1 Combi and now a T6 Beach, but not an ocean. All IMO are cracking vehicles and have their own merits along with their own set of issues.

This Forum has a very Balanced view and is a great resource for everything Cali
If I were you I would sit for a long time and do as much reasearch as possible and apply that knowledge to my own set of circumstances

I would consider:
How many people need to sleep in the van ?
Do you need extra space for sleeping in the van ?
Do you want to be able to carry more than Edit : three passengers ( ever)
Do you use your Velle for other purposes such as transportation of large items?
How many times your likely to pull up at campsite and make you dinner or a brew in the pouring rain or inclement weather? ( frequency of camping)
Can you put up with a lot smaller down stairs bed: Caravelle vs Ocean, are you likely to sleep upstairs in the Cali O ?
Do you want to be able to stand up in the van ?
Are there other options available that will cost £29,900 less, to make a cup of tea or have your dinner in the van most definitely ? ( many posts on this fantastic forum)
Potential issues and problems with a new van vs one you already know ? ( many posts on here)
Potential upside of factory 3 year warranty ( can be extended to 5 years ) ( info on the forum)
Does owning a Cali vs Velle appeal to your way of life ?
Will the way you use the Cali vs Caravelle warrant 30k expenditure?
Will you have additional expenditure in excess of the 30k to kit out the CaliO ? Or will you use all your existing camping gear ?
What will be the tangible and non tangible benefits of owning and using a Cali O?
You only live once ?

I’m not recommending either scenario, but merely drawing your attention to questions I’m sure your already asking yourself.

You can go back and fourth with the case for and against for ever, the question you need to answer for yourself is can I afford it and do I want to hand over 30k for the privilege?

After all I’m a Cali Nut who likes Cali’s

Last edited:
It depends how much you are using the Caravelle as a bus as opposed to a camper.

If it’s a camper for two people you are looking for then get the Cali. The beds, pop top, water, gas and awning etc really make it fantastic.

If you ever carry more than 3 people- stick with the Caravelle or look at the Beach which many on here swear by.

Hi RonJue

Only you can decide if you want to part with £30k of your hard earned.

Asking a bunch of confirmed Cali Nuts, if you are making the right decision, is like asking an alcoholic if he like alcohol!
But I do understand your soul searching ?

For what it’s worth, Having had a Carvalle (T5), a T5.1 Combi and now a T6 Beach, but not an ocean. All IMO are cracking vehicles and have their own merits along with their own set of issues.

This Forum has a very Balanced view and is a great resource for everything Cali
If I were you I would sit for a long time and do as much reasearch as possible and apply that knowledge to my own set of circumstances

I would consider:
How many people need to sleep in the van ?
Do you need extra space for sleeping in the van ?
Do you want to be able to carry more than four passengers ( ever)
Do you use your Velle for other purposes such as transportation of large items?
How many times your likely to pull up at campsite and make you dinner or a brew in the pouring rain or inclement weather? ( frequency of camping)
Can you put up with a lot smaller down stairs bed: Caravelle vs Ocean, are you likely to sleep upstairs in the Cali O ?
Do you want to be able to stand up in the van ?
Are there other options available that will cost £29,900 less, to make a cup of tea or have your dinner in the van most definitely ? ( many posts on this fantastic forum)
Potential issues and problems with a new van vs one you already know ? ( many posts on here)
Potential upside of factory 3 year warranty ( can be extended to 5 years ) ( info on the forum)
Does owning a Cali vs Velle appeal to your way of life ?
Will the way you use the Cali vs Caravelle warrant 30k expenditure?
Will you have additional expenditure in excess of the 30k to kit out the CaliO ? Or will you use all your existing camping gear ?
What will be the tangible and non tangible benefits of owning and using a Cali O?
You only live once ?

I’m not recommending either scenario, but merely drawing your attention to questions I’m sure your already asking yourself.

You can go back and fourth with the case for and against for ever, the question you need to answer for yourself is can I afford it and do I want to hand over 30k for the privilege?

After all I’m a Cali Nut who likes Cali’s
Well said Perfectos, I was just too lazy to write that much.

Yes, all correct. We have leather/ alcantara seats in our Velle, but so does the Ocean we can have.( included opt’l extra.
Not correct. The California range no longer has the leather element. VW quietly dropped it some time ago in favour of a plastic faux leather replacement. I believe Nappa Leather is still an option on the Caravelle.

Hi, purely seeking advice and/or opinions? Have a 2017 Caravelle Exec 150DSG, bought in Aug 18 for £33,800, and all geared up with awning rail, drive away awning, portapotti, grills etc...with huge bed in the Velle, comfy topped with Zempire self inflating mattresses. No pop top roof though!
Been offered £30K part-ex, plus another £30K cash, on a brand new Cali Ocean 199DSG, fully loaded.
From all your Cali owners, is this a good move? Will we regret handing over another £30K, or will it be a great experience and investment?
We started tent camping in the late 90’s, had 2 caravans from 2006 to 2017, then our Velle which we love for its multi-use. Will the Cali Ocean be the icing on the cake?
How many family members will be camping?

There is at least one company that manufactures a pop top which retains the caravelle vents. I Think it was the below, as I looked into buying a caravelle and converting, but only worked out a slightly cheaper than buying a well spec’d used beach (With heating etc), so we went for a Beach in the end:

There is at least one company that manufactures a pop top which retains the caravelle vents. I Think it was the below, as I looked into buying a caravelle and converting, but only worked out a slightly cheaper than buying a well spec’d used beach (With heating etc), so we went for a Beach in the end:

Looks a lot like the Hilo.

Have you thought about a 6mth/1yr old Cali, you will not lose anything much on resale. I’ve had 2 calis in the past and between both over 5yrs lost £2k on resale (both were 2nd hand to start with).
Anything brand new you tend to lose a bit on Unless the new prices keep going up!
If you can afford it and want it go for it, that’s what I use to decide.

The UK Caravelle vents go across the roof, left to right, so need to be reconfigured to go along the sides, like the Cali. Puts quite a few quid on the conversion.

The UK Caravelle vents go across the roof, left to right, so need to be reconfigured to go along the sides, like the Cali. Puts quite a few quid on the conversion.
Agree, but not £30,000 worth.

We’ve just made the same move and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I loved my T5 Caravelle and genuinely thought it was one of the best vehicles I’ve owned but the Cali Ocean is amazing. Perfect for our family of four. For the Caravelle we bought a stretcher-style bed for the front seats (and our six year-old) and popped our two year old in the boot to sleep whilst my wife and I slept on the bench seats that converted into a bed. It was all a bit awkward especially outside of the summer months. I toyed with the idea of getting a poptop fitted (£8k) but decided it wasnt worth the trouble or expense. Then I came across a new high-spec T6 Cali Ocean last December that was being sold off cheap as it was “last year’s model”. It was pre-registered and had lots of extras and cost £49k. I love the ease of the Ocean. It’s now my mobile office as well. It’s the only vehicle we own and it does everything we need perfectly. Given the residuals I don’t think you’ll go too far wrong if you buy an Ocean. Ours is a 150bhp DSG which is plenty powerful enough. Hope this helps you decide.

Back