Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loose fitting alcantara seats

J

JoeandMaggie

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good afternoon to you all! A new member but by no means unfamiliar with the group as I’ve been in a 3 year long California Ocean buying fantasy.

We are now finally in the vinegar strokes of making the big purchase and have almost decided on our exact spec. Something we’re still in doubt about are the seats; initially set on getting the standard fabric and slapping on a decent (expensive) set of covers, but more recently sold on the idea of the alcantara option. We have read many a thread about this topic but my question is this: Has anyone with the alcantara experienced a problem with both the leather and alcantara part of the upholstery appearing to fit rather loosely?

I ask as a van we viewed yesterday had this problem, particularly on the backrest portion of the rear bench/bed. The salesman I asked about this came out with the usual crap and meaningless answer.

I have seen that many of you suggest a reupholster job. At least for the time being, this is not something that appeals to us.

We had them in our second Cali and there was no bagginess ..I wouldn’t spec them again because straight away we covered them with waterproof seat covers so never seen the until we showed the person that bought the van off us how nice they was,,,
one thing I did like was the smell of leather in the van though..

No problem with our alcantara seats over 3 yrs old. No seats covers . Treated initially with Gtechniq smart fabric I1 & repeated every 12 mths.. Still look new. Have spilled red wine & waggy bleeding westie tail, splatted blood all over them. Easily wiped off with a wipe.
We have only had 2 small westies sitting on the beach seat. Only occasionally adults.
Would definitely spec them again.

We have a 2 year old but no doggies so we would definitely be treating them with something along those lines @calimera. We don’t intend on routinely covering them up @Jay17cali, maybe just for the odd mountain biking trip for which we will get some of the cheaper waterproof covers.

The dealer salesman’s on the spot reasoning was the addition of the isofix points reducing the tension. Having looked at other seats that appeared better fitting I was not buying this excuse and it was not just down to my built in mistrust of any sales people.

Still keen on them, just I would not be happy with the seats if they were as the showroom demo. Pity I didn’t photo!

No problems with ours either two years in

We have a 2 year old but no doggies so we would definitely be treating them with something along those lines @calimera. We don’t intend on routinely covering them up @Jay17cali, maybe just for the odd mountain biking trip for which we will get some of the cheaper waterproof covers.

The dealer salesman’s on the spot reasoning was the addition of the isofix points reducing the tension. Having looked at other seats that appeared better fitting I was not buying this excuse and it was not just down to my built in mistrust of any sales people.

Still keen on them, just I would not be happy with the seats if they were as the showroom demo. Pity I didn’t photo!
Totally agree it was a massive shame to cover them up but a young family chocolate ,fruit juice stains in the wife’s car made me do it ;)...it’s way to light for a camper van.but if it’s got a scotch guard maybe it’s ok?
I love the beach with the black interior and alcantara that would be on my list if I bought a beach.

Has anyone with the alcantara experienced a problem with both the leather and alcantara part of the upholstery appearing to fit rather loosely?
No, and they are lovely seats too. Good luck with your purchase. :thumb

Order placed today, boom!

We went with the alcantara seats, my thinking between now and delivery will be regarding how best to protect the paint/seats.

My current plan is PPF at front end and self applied sealant for the rest.

Inside there will be something too, @calimera : you say you use the Gtechnic smart fabric; is this preferred over their leather offering and do you apply it to just the alcantara section or the entire seat?

Order placed today, boom!

We went with the alcantara seats, my thinking between now and delivery will be regarding how best to protect the paint/seats.

My current plan is PPF at front end and self applied sealant for the rest.

Inside there will be something too, @calimera : you say you use the Gtechnic smart fabric; is this preferred over their leather offering and do you apply it to just the alcantara section or the entire seat?
Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane, giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be identified as such.

. GTECNiq website recommends Smart fabric for Alcantara. I just applied it to the alcantara section.
How exciting placing an order.

Back