Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lost keys

GillianC

GillianC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Alas not.
I have ordered a new one from my local vw commercial centre at a cost of 199 including programming and a replacement California key fob. This was cheaper than the Breeze who quoted 230 as their programming was more (???)
Had to take the V5 and my driving licence in. They order the key from Germany and then I take the Cali in and they reset everything. Likely to take at least 10 days. I also need to get another water key cut as one was with the lost key.
We now have a new key storage system in the gillianc household.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone had any experience of these little devices? My Good Lady is always loosing keys and the idea of her loosing the Cali keys when it arrives is that it would not be one of our best days!
https://chipolo.net/?gclid=CjwKEAiA...iAWNeg_EMBv9ezgVX8XZTPb-fE36F_m97TRoCLPDw_wcB

I have a "NUT" . It works very well, battery is replaceable unlike some, a spare battery is included anyway. Like all bluetooth devices you have to be in range for it to be effective but if so it works well.

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have a "NUT" . It works very well, battery is replaceable unlike some, a spare battery is included anyway. Like all bluetooth devices you have to be in range for it to be effective but if so it works well.
Thanks for the info GJ. I may well be going for something like that as a starter.:thumb

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thanks for the info GJ. I may well be going for something like that as a starter.:thumb

Prior to that I used Tile. However I found them to be virtually inaudible when more than a couple of feet away (I believe now much improved), the need to have a new one every year a complete pain and the complexity of the app irritating.. True they had this huge network of users that would help look for your keys by using their own apps in the location last recorded but if I lose my keys I generally want them now, not in a weeks time.

NUT is ready, working and clearly audible within a minute or two of the packet being opened.

AlanC

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
But the non electric won't drive the van, will it? I thaught the chip was a deimmobiliser?

That is right. A plain key will get you back in, but the alarm will go off and the van won't start.

Only thing to do is have another key in the van which you click once you are in.
Surfer dudes usually have a plain key on them while surfing and the electronic one hidden in the van.

Alan

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
That is right. A plain key will get you back in, but the alarm will go off and the van won't start.

Only thing to do is have another key in the van which you click once you are in.
Surfer dudes usually have a plain key on them while surfing and the electronic one hidden in the van.

Alan
Only problem with that is the insurance is invalidated if your keys are in the van when stolen( as described in another's post on the subject )

AlanC

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Only problem with that is the insurance is invalidated if your keys are in the van when stolen( as described in another's post on the subject )
Some days you just can't win...

Alan

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Prior to that I used Tile. However I found them to be virtually inaudible when more than a couple of feet away (I believe now much improved), the need to have a new one every year a complete pain and the complexity of the app irritating.. True they had this huge network of users that would help look for your keys by using their own apps in the location last recorded but if I lose my keys I generally want them now, not in a weeks time.

NUT is ready, working and clearly audible within a minute or two of the packet being opened.
Oh dreamy me...my colleagues have bought me a Tile for my Christmas...they got fed up of me losing the office keys late at night!
I'll give them a go...hopefully better now...I'll let you know!

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Some days you just can't win...

Alan
I am not bringing much Christmas cheer to this post am I
It is fine to take risks...it is just nice to know the potential outcomes.
I am off to eat some more root ginger in whiskey syrup that I got for Christmas

I

Isa Neal

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Have you looked under the drivers seat with a torch? There's a huge cavity under it and the keys may well have ended up,there.

GillianC

GillianC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Have you looked under the drivers seat with a torch? There's a huge cavity under it and the keys may well have ended up,there.
Thanks...will have a look. Think they were used to lock the van then put somewhere but can't be certain....

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks...will have a look. Think they were used to lock the van then put somewhere but can't be certain....
Gillian, did you check your insurance policy? Its worth a look as many include this to cover this very eventuality.

VW California Club