Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lost keys

I have a "NUT" . It works very well, battery is replaceable unlike some, a spare battery is included anyway. Like all bluetooth devices you have to be in range for it to be effective but if so it works well.
Thanks for the info GJ. I may well be going for something like that as a starter.:thumb

Thanks for the info GJ. I may well be going for something like that as a starter.:thumb

Prior to that I used Tile. However I found them to be virtually inaudible when more than a couple of feet away (I believe now much improved), the need to have a new one every year a complete pain and the complexity of the app irritating.. True they had this huge network of users that would help look for your keys by using their own apps in the location last recorded but if I lose my keys I generally want them now, not in a weeks time.

NUT is ready, working and clearly audible within a minute or two of the packet being opened.

But the non electric won't drive the van, will it? I thaught the chip was a deimmobiliser?

That is right. A plain key will get you back in, but the alarm will go off and the van won't start.

Only thing to do is have another key in the van which you click once you are in.
Surfer dudes usually have a plain key on them while surfing and the electronic one hidden in the van.

Alan

That is right. A plain key will get you back in, but the alarm will go off and the van won't start.

Only thing to do is have another key in the van which you click once you are in.
Surfer dudes usually have a plain key on them while surfing and the electronic one hidden in the van.

Alan
Only problem with that is the insurance is invalidated if your keys are in the van when stolen( as described in another's post on the subject )

Only problem with that is the insurance is invalidated if your keys are in the van when stolen( as described in another's post on the subject )
Some days you just can't win...

Alan

Prior to that I used Tile. However I found them to be virtually inaudible when more than a couple of feet away (I believe now much improved), the need to have a new one every year a complete pain and the complexity of the app irritating.. True they had this huge network of users that would help look for your keys by using their own apps in the location last recorded but if I lose my keys I generally want them now, not in a weeks time.

NUT is ready, working and clearly audible within a minute or two of the packet being opened.
Oh dreamy me...my colleagues have bought me a Tile for my Christmas...they got fed up of me losing the office keys late at night!
I'll give them a go...hopefully better now...I'll let you know!

Some days you just can't win...

Alan
I am not bringing much Christmas cheer to this post am I
It is fine to take risks...it is just nice to know the potential outcomes.
I am off to eat some more root ginger in whiskey syrup that I got for Christmas

Hi Have you looked under the drivers seat with a torch? There's a huge cavity under it and the keys may well have ended up,there.

Hi Have you looked under the drivers seat with a torch? There's a huge cavity under it and the keys may well have ended up,there.
Thanks...will have a look. Think they were used to lock the van then put somewhere but can't be certain....

Thanks...will have a look. Think they were used to lock the van then put somewhere but can't be certain....
Gillian, did you check your insurance policy? Its worth a look as many include this to cover this very eventuality.

Check the big drawer under the bench seat.

I know someone who left them on the bench seat, then sat on them. They were forced between the seatbelt clips into the drawer below landing on a storage bag.

Of course this lady, being ever so bright, then rummaged around the drawer and in doing so must of enabled the keys to slip into the bag. This daft old bat then decided to strip out all the cupboards and drawers in a frantic effort to find keys and so every bag, box and container was dumped outside the van. She then proceeded to tear apart the inside whilst what she was looking for was outside :shocked

Gillian, did you check your insurance policy? Its worth a look as many include this to cover this very eventuality.

Yes we looked at the policy but it covered their loss through theft together with changing the locks but no mention of accidental loss. Will phone and ask though.

Check the big drawer under the bench seat.

I know someone who left them on the bench seat, then sat on them. They were forced between the seatbelt clips into the drawer below landing on a storage bag.

Of course this lady, being ever so bright, then rummaged around the drawer and in doing so must of enabled the keys to slip into the bag. This daft old bat then decided to strip out all the cupboards and drawers in a frantic effort to find keys and so every bag, box and container was dumped outside the van. She then proceeded to tear apart the inside whilst what she was looking for was outside :shocked

Thanks GJ ... will look in the drawer too

Hiya the keys could,still be in the locked vehicle. I'm on my second Cali now but my first one locked me out whilst the keys were in the ignition on a campsite one very cold march. Had to get VW RAC out who broke into the Cali in a traditional way using coat hangers and other old bits of metal........I think others have also been locked out when their Cali has auto locked. I now always have the keys on me.....so it's still worthwhile looking in every nook and cranny in case whoever last was in the Cali put the keys down somewhere inside......

Hiya the keys could,still be in the locked vehicle. I'm on my second Cali now but my first one locked me out whilst the keys were in the ignition on a campsite one very cold march. Had to get VW RAC out who broke into the Cali in a traditional way using coat hangers and other old bits of metal........I think others have also been locked out when their Cali has auto locked. I now always have the keys on me.....so it's still worthwhile looking in every nook and cranny in case whoever last was in the Cali put the keys down somewhere inside......

Is there any way of stopping it doing this, other than to keep the keys with you at all times? I have been regularly leaving them in their 'place' which is hanging on the coat hook by the passenger door while I converse with my neighbours.
Going to do a thorough search today. I remember leaving my husband working inside the van and saying to him 'the keys are beside you on the seat. Don't sit on them'. I didn't want him to damage the seat! There was a blanket under them but my first area of search will be the drawer.
Also wondering if it is possible to securely locate a basic key which opens the doors externally somewhere in case the auto lock happens?
Appreciate that this would have to be very secure.

I am not bringing much Christmas cheer to this post am I
It is fine to take risks...it is just nice to know the potential outcomes.
I am off to eat some more root ginger in whiskey syrup that I got for Christmas
It wasn't meant as a criticism of you, more a comment on what ever you do the insurance companies will find a way of stimying you:confused:

@GillianC

If I was you I would check with your insurance company. I keep spare keys with me, in a place that even I can't find :shocked

I am certain that when I bought my van I read through my policy, read the checklist that said "spare keys" to be carried when overseas, and talked to Comfort. I think it was something about "as long as secure and out of sight" which was the waiver.

If I am then leaving the van to do something where loss of keys could happen, such as sky-diving, hang-gliding, white-water rafting or going to the wine bar then I keep an access key safely secured to me.

Is there any way of stopping it doing this, other than to keep the keys with you at all times? I have been regularly leaving them in their 'place' which is hanging on the coat hook by the passenger door while I converse with my neighbours.
Going to do a thorough search today. I remember leaving my husband working inside the van and saying to him 'the keys are beside you on the seat. Don't sit on them'. I didn't want him to damage the seat! There was a blanket under them but my first area of search will be the drawer.
Also wondering if it is possible to securely locate a basic key which opens the doors externally somewhere in case the auto lock happens?
We either larks head a strong piece of ribbon or use a strap with a clicky connection and keep the
keys around our neck. I keep house keys and car keys separate.

Lanyard was the word I was searching for !

... message ends. ..

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I will have to devise a way of securing a key to my person.
I have searched every inch of the van and am certain that the keys aren't in it.
They must be in the house or, more likely I think, in the garage somewhere.
We have a very large garage full of tools, cloths, tins and bottles of stuff, bikes etc etc as well as cars and I suspect the key has been put down somewhere in there and has been submerged.
Oh well. I have ordered the replacement and will feel easier when I have a spare again.

I have a Basic Surf Key on a lanyard, around my neck, when abroad.

Back