Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lost keys

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have lost one of the two sets of keys for the Cali. They must be at home somewhere because they were last used for removing something from the interior but where they are now goodness only knows. Certainly not in their usual storage place.
We have searched high and low, checked the garage, coat pockets, handags, kitchen....all to no avail.
No doubt they will turn up eventually but in the meantime it worries me greatly only having one set.
Does anyone know how much a spare set costs to get from the VW dealer? I hate to think.....

We have lost one of the two sets of keys for the Cali. They must be at home somewhere because they were last used for removing something from the interior but where they are now goodness only knows. Certainly not in their usual storage place.
We have searched high and low, checked the garage, coat pockets, handags, kitchen....all to no avail.
No doubt they will turn up eventually but in the meantime it worries me greatly only having one set.
Does anyone know how much a spare set costs to get from the VW dealer? I hate to think.....
Have a look at your insurance policy, lost keys are sometimes included in the cover, and claiming doesn't affect your NCB, just the same as a windscreen claim.

I think they are around £120 including coding to your vehicle

Have a look at your insurance policy, lost keys are sometimes included in the cover, and claiming doesn't affect your NCB, just the same as a windscreen claim.

Thanks...excellent idea...going to check the policy now. First time I have ever lost a set of keys. Mind it may not have been me who lost them !

Thanks Kev. That isn't as bad as I had feared. Will call Breeze tomorrow. It is going there to have the cooker lid hinge replaced on Thursday so maybe they could do them then.

If you went into the tailgate, it is possible to leave the keys in there and shut the tailgate that then auto locks again. have you checked behind the rear seat?

If it's any help they will be in the last place you look. That's the last place not the last plaice. I don't want to start another fishy thread.....

You'll have put them down, she will have tiedied them away.

If you went into the tailgate, it is possible to leave the keys in there and shut the tailgate that then auto locks again. have you checked behind the rear seat?
Thanks Loz. I will have a good look around tomorrow. I have used the van since we mislaid the key using the spare. Will slide the seat forward and have a good delve!

You'll have put them down, she will have tiedied them away.
Actually I think that I left HIM in the van cleaning the worktop but of course that is not how it is remembered!!!!!

In our house we call that "Having a Mummy look" as Mrs Loz finds stuff that "Can't " be found anywhere !
Exactly. Boy look verses girl look.

Prob is girl puts stuff away but is multi tasking at the time and does'nt recall location.

I lost my car keys for our Peugeot, I think my son (just under one year old) was playing with them while I was getting him ready for the park, and I forgot to retrieve them from him, and then he dropped them somewhere from the baby Bjorn carrier. Despite extensive searching at home and in the park, including going through both bins and checking nappy bags (yuk), I was unable to find them. With just one set of keys I was nervous so I ordered two replacements. Total cost on 10 December 2014: £183.37.

For a new California, four keys instead of two costs an additional £66. It looks like a bargain.

Gulp! Just called Breeze and the cost of a new key including coding is £230. Yikes.
The key has to be ordered in (takes 10 days) and then you have to take the other key in and they are both recoded. So, if the missing key then turns up that won't work and has to be recoded too at a cost of £75.
Today is going to be spent searching very very hard!

I lost my keys whilst camping near Aberystwyth in 2014.

Fortunately I could get into Albert and use the vehicle, but not go anywhere :shocked

I ended up with my son collecting my spare keys from home and heading off to a couriers office where a bloke on a motorcycle was going to ride overnight from Sussex to West Wales! The alternative was to wait for a few days for the local VW people to order a spare set.

The original keys were returned to me and I was able to contact my son literally as he was walking into the courier depot. Now I have all sorts of ringing devices attached to them that are partially useful.

As a stopgap see if you can get a non electric key cut as a backup. Our van actually came with one of these as well as the electric ones.

Alas not.
I have ordered a new one from my local vw commercial centre at a cost of 199 including programming and a replacement California key fob. This was cheaper than the Breeze who quoted 230 as their programming was more (???)
Had to take the V5 and my driving licence in. They order the key from Germany and then I take the Cali in and they reset everything. Likely to take at least 10 days. I also need to get another water key cut as one was with the lost key.
We now have a new key storage system in the gillianc household.

Has anyone had any experience of these little devices? My Good Lady is always loosing keys and the idea of her loosing the Cali keys when it arrives is that it would not be one of our best days!
https://chipolo.net/?gclid=CjwKEAiA...iAWNeg_EMBv9ezgVX8XZTPb-fE36F_m97TRoCLPDw_wcB

I have a "NUT" . It works very well, battery is replaceable unlike some, a spare battery is included anyway. Like all bluetooth devices you have to be in range for it to be effective but if so it works well.

Back