Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low mileage or best service history, a buyers dilemma...

J

Jmooser

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
The usual used car dilemma, so I’d figure I’ll throw it out to the crowd and source some thoughts. I’ve got two VW Californias in sight.

-2004 2.5 174 4motion with 230k km
-2007 (late dec 2016?) 2.5 174 4motion with 125k km

The older one has full service history, oil changes on the long life (20-30k kilometers or every 2ish years). Plenty of parts recently replaced, the usual ones that wear down. Basically fully serviced as per schedule and decently maintained interior. All functions are working. As far as I can tell though the water pump has not been changed or needed to be changed (or they changed it and just missing that invoice).

The 2007 has been poorly maintained since 2012. But it only has driven 16k km from 2012-2016 and 8k km from 2016-2019. It’s had oil changes I suppose, at least once between 2012-2016 (although no service record during this time) and at least once 2016-2019. Batteries were dead when I checked it out last weekend. Control panel for camping functions was dead with ignition off (looks like a burnt fuse). It’s in decent shape, but some things have been replace with rough homemade solution (i.e. the parcel shelf). Also missing the rear mattress. Unable to enter the tent because the sliding roof part was jammed or something. Probably things that can easily be fixed.

What would you go for? Low miles or well known service history + treated pristinely.

The low mileage is roughly 40k GBP and the the older one is 32k GBP. The money difference isn’t a huge issue for me in the decision.

Was there anything radically different that makes a 2007 model better than 2005? Same engines after all...

What do you fellas think?

Apologies if this should be in some general forum section? New to this... admins, please move if necessary.

They both sound overpriced, have you looked at the cali’s for sale on here and used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk ?

They both sound overpriced, have you looked at the cali’s for sale on here and used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk ?
Yea I should say, I'm in norway. That's just the insane prices here. 2007 models I have been tracking without 4motion and ca 200k km have sold around 27-32k GBP.

Even if I bought one in UK or Germany and brought it over here, I'd be looking at almost doubling the purchase price with import duties and taxes.

Ok, thanks to Brexit I suppose I should update my currency conversions! The prices are actually: 36k GBP for the 2007, 29k GBP for the 2005.

Unable to enter the tent because the sliding roof part was jammed or something. Probably things that can easily be fixed.

You seem keener on the later low mileage one? If this is the case I would go out and buy a new leisure battery and fit it for the 2nd viewing, and see if this solves the control panel issue. Make sure you can get the roof open to check what state the canvas + bed are in.

Fairly easy to price the other bits that needs attention..

You seem keener on the later low mileage one? If this is the case I would go out and buy a new leisure battery and fit it for the 2nd viewing, and see if this solves the control panel issue. Make sure you can get the roof open to check what state the canvas + bed are in.

Fairly easy to price the other bits that needs attention..

Yea, I don’t know if I’m keener on one vs the other. I like that the older one has been better taken care of.

Maybe it’s more a question of how much mileage plays into buying the van if it’s been well serviced....

i’ve just sold mine.... 2007 with 220k km, could do another 220k easily.
Go for the first, 2004 and 2006 are the same, you know it was cared, you save money to change a complete engine...just in case

Was there anything radically different that makes a 2007 model better than 2005? Same engines after all
Not the same engines, well at least they have different engine codes. The 07 will be a euro 4 I think with dpf, the older euro 3.

Yea I should say, I'm in norway. That's just the insane prices here. 2007 models I have been tracking without 4motion and ca 200k km have sold around 27-32k GBP.

Even if I bought one in UK or Germany and brought it over here, I'd be looking at almost doubling the purchase price with import duties and taxes.
Sorry, I was viewing on my phone and it doesn't show countries. I feel for you with those prices - and we complain about the high prices over here!

For what it's worth I would go for the oder one. You know what has been replaced and have a full service history. That sounds like it was a loved van. The newer with the "homemade" replacements and missing service history and things not working...I'd avoid.

Older one. The 2007 as it has probably been poorly maintained has big bills coming.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the feedback.

Back