Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low pitched whistling noise

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My Cali seems to have just developed a low pitched whistling noise. It seems fairly constant and doesn't seem to get louder when accelerating, and disappears when the clutch is depressed.

I've got the 50k service in a couple of weeks and will get it checked then, but wondered whether anyone has experienced this, or knows what is causing it? And it's not the kettle!

Thanks.

Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my 2011 transporter - a whistling sound that disappeared when I depressed the clutch was diagnosed as faulty turbo vac pipes (I think that's what they called them!)
Are you still under warranty?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Maybe turbo related as freely says!

Guys - unfortunately not under warranty, but thanks for the pointer.

try your clutch test again, but instead of pressing the clutch, just lift off the throttle as this with power down the turbo just the same and allow you to cross off the turbo if you still hear it..

Intercooler leak?

The intercooler went on my previous 54 plate transporter.
Sounded like rustling crisp packets from what I remember.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

The intercooler went on my previous 54 plate transporter.
Sounded like rustling crisp packets from what I remember.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
You can have a whistle and frequently smoke from the exhaust. Otherwise it would be worth checking the pipe connections from turbo to intercooler.

Sorry Loz - are you saying that if I take my foot of the accelerator and still hear the whistle then it's not the turbo?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Loz - I've retried and when I take my foot of the accelerator indeed the whistle disappears, so maybe turbo related. WG - good pointer too.

I'll give VW the heads up when I take her in for the service next week.

Many thanks for input.

Chris

Ive the same problem and its the intercooler. Apparently its a common problem as the retaining clips rust out and the intercooler then leaks. mine is leaking and the power steering pump is being affected too as its connected near by. For the intercooler leak you can do a visual inspection by looking through the lower radiator grill gap the long thin radiator is on the right. expensive swap out if the garage does it for you. Dunno how easy it would be to do if you tackle it yourself.

Intercooler is not that hard to replace - just time consuming. I think its basically, wheel arch liners undone from front bumper, then grill, disconnect fogs and parking sensors and DRL's if you have them mounted on the bumper. Then remove bumper and disconnect the hoses either end. I can't recall there being much more to it when I did one on an '05 plate combi a couple of years ago. You could take the opportunity to upgrade to a bigger one for more power!

Back